Thursday, July 4, 2013

Let Freedom Ring!

I was thinking about what to post on this special day...July 4th..and thoughts were for our military and how grateful I am for those that are serving to preserve our freedom in this great country of ours..Thank you to all who serve, and have served!  Then I thought about my past July 4ths.  For the last 25 years, my husband has taken the week of the 4th to be with the Boy Scouts in our Church at Summer camp. I've gone down to visit different times when my boys were with him, but now I just hunker down at home and celebrate quietly and then celebrate again when he comes home.  Over those years the 4th has landed on the weekend and we get to celebrate in the usual manner.  I hope his day is good today....the rain has been a bummer this week but there has been small bouts of sunshine.  Then my thoughts turn to my childhood celebrations of the 4th.  We always had a parade in my neighborhood that was put on by the kids.  We decorated our bikes, our wagons, and ourselves to march down the street in pride! This photo is of me and my little sister Midge....I believe we were dressed as hoola girls because Hawaii was just introduced as a state that year. (1959)

The look on Midge's face cracks me up..She still has that look I believe!  So, I hope we all remember to be grateful for all we have...especially our freedom...and enjoy this day safely, with family or friends or even quietly watching  "Yankee Doodle Dandy"...my fav with Jimmy Cagney! Finally, just some scenes from the Pines:
Rain has made the grass as green as Spring!
The raspberries are coming on strong!
  Wild black raspberries too!
Uncle Sam says hello!
My front door says WELCOME!  Happy July 4th!






15 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Happy Independence Day, dear YaYa! I join you in thanking all the men and women who have served our country in the past and are serving today, no doubt separated from their loved ones. I loved seeing that childhood picture of you and your sister. You look exactly like a little girl who lived across the street from me in the 50s. I also thoroughly enjoyed these new pictures of your lush green property. I especially like the beautiful planting bed that runs along your boardwalk. It was also great to see my buddy, Eddy, even with his face turned away from the camera. I hope you enjoy sunny skies up there today. Happy 4th to you and your whole family, dear friend YaYa!

Nonnie said...

A very special day indeed. Happy 4th to you, and I too join you in thanking our military. Both my nephews are serving, and one is now in Afghanistan. Not only thankful for them, but praying as well.
I think your property is outstanding. What a beautiful yard - so colorful. The raspberry and blackberry pics are happy. Your house just says welcome all over the place.
That pic of you and your sister is one to hold on too. Wonder what she was thinking? So cute.
It is a wonderful thing that the boys have such good role models as your husband. I have camped in the rain a few times myself. Messy job cleaning up. :-)

Donna said...

Happy 4th girlfriend!! Your post was touching and yes, Midge's expression is PRICELESS!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy 4th to you!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Julia said...

Happy 4th of July Yaya. I never thought that you could celebrate quietly, he,he. Just kidding.

I know that you don't let too many occasions to celebrate slip by quietly.

My family still celebrate the 1st of July but here on the farm, it's just another regular busy day I'm sorry to say.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a great comment. I so appreciate you.
Hugs,
JB

Laurie said...

Happy 4th! I loved the face on your sister, too. I bet you have some really great memories. Loved the tour of your yard. Take care!

Laurie

Stacy said...

Happy 4th Kathy!

joanne said...

love the photo with you and your sis...she does look a little surprised! Glad you have such wonderful memories. Your husband is pretty special to take that week every year for the scouts, it must be as great for him as it is for the boys. take care and be safe.

Susan Anderson said...

You live in a place that sort of embodies everything we celebrate on the 4th of July. And I was thinking of the troops too, wishing they could be with their families.

Thanks for sharing your memories!

=)

selvageedge said...

Happy Independence Day, whichever date you choose to celebrate it. And YUM, black raspberries are the best!

Cheltz said...

Happy 4th! I love the picture of you and Midge! I love the name Midge! And I've never even heard of the movie Yankee Doodle Dandy!

Rick Watson said...

That picture is a hoot. She seems to be saying, CAN WE JUST GET THIS OVER WITH?????

Kim said...

I'm late but I hope you had a nice holiday. Were you in the pool?

Scriptor Senex said...

Catching up on blogs, at last! Hope you had a super day. Love that photo from 1959.

In My Wild Eden said...

What a great photo of you and your sister! I really enjoyed your post. My son picked wild berries this week and made fruit leather with them. There are more exciting things to make with berries, but it was on the list of things he wanted to make. It turned out delicious. Hope you have a wonderful week!