Thursday, July 11, 2013

Help! We're Drowning!

We had about 17 days of rain...I was wondering if an ark was suppose to be built..then I was wondering if it was being built but I wasn't invited to sail! I posted pics of the deluge we had a few weeks ago and although we didn't have that happen again, we did get significant amounts of the wet stuff and our yard is saturated. The finale came yesterday in the form of tornado warnings, heavy rain, and severe thunderstorms.  The tornado passed over our house and landed down the road and took out a barn and electric. Our neighborhood had electric though and I was really surprised. (and happy!)  After the storms passed by I headed out and took a few pics of the flooding.
The fire pit is not having any campfires soon!
The driveway is again washed out...
Everyone's stones were like ours....in the road!
The old saying about corn goes: "Knee high by the 4th of July"...I'm assuming they mean the corn is up to your knees...not the water! This whole field of corn is filled with water.
You can't tell too well by this pic, but the corn is flattened by the tornado winds.
I don't live near a lake. This is a field that is flooded on a road right by our house. For now I'll just call it "Lake Middle Rowsburg". Here's a very quick video I shot of the rushing creek water...
Today the rain has stopped..the sun now shines and the heat and humidity are gone.  It's a pleasant 75 and so wonderfully dry! I took care of some pool maintenance and thought a quick pic is in order to show that the little pool project from hell has turned out OK and the rain and tornado didn't do any damage. I think we're in for a week of sun so I hope all the weather by you is great too!
I'm not drowning here! I think I can handle this little pool!



18 comments:

Julia said...

Wow,Yaya, that is a lot of water in a short time. I'm glad that your pool wasn't demolished. Probably the rain raised up the water levels in it though.

Great pic of you holding on the side.
Enjoy your pool. Your surely deserve some R&R once in a while.
Hugs,
JB

MunirGhiasuddin said...

I feel sorry about the corn.
You are very good at shooting videos. The creek looks like it will take some time before it gets back to normal. At least you guys are back to normal.
I love the ants sculptures on your front page. Did you make them?

Shady Del Knight said...

Goodness gracious, YaYa! Seems ever since you built that pool the weather has been trying to wash it away or tear it down. It must have been very frightening to have a tornado pass over and touch down near you. The same thing happened down here some 15 years ago. A funnel cloud passed over my neighborhood, reached the ground and tore a path of destruction on the other side of the state, killing a few people. I'm happy to know your weather has settled down, the temp and humidity have dropped and the sun's out. You guys deserve to spend some quality time in that pool before the snow flies at the end of August! Nice to see you again, dear friend YaYa. Take care and have a great weekend!

Cindy said...

We've had crazy weather here in MI, too! Today was beautiful...no humidity! Here's to more pool days ahead for you!!

Rick Watson said...

That rain train that came through your place came directly through here too.
My boots are waterlogged :)

gin said...

glad yall made it thru the bad weather. time to enjoy the pool and the sun. you look great!

acorn hollow said...

we have had so much rain but no tornado warning today was the first dry day in awhile and we enjoyed it.
Cathy

selvageedge said...

Scary weather yesterday. I took the kids and ran for the basement after I saw a big branch fly off our walnut tree. A few minutes later we got a big crack of lightning and later I saw that the same tree had been hit by it. It stripped off bark the whole length of the tree, but thankfully it didn't catch fire. Today was gorgeous, kind of like a heavenly apology. :)

selvageedge said...

Scary weather yesterday. I took the kids and ran for the basement after I saw a big branch fly off our walnut tree. A few minutes later we got a big crack of lightning and later I saw that the same tree had been hit by it. It stripped off bark the whole length of the tree, but thankfully it didn't catch fire. Today was gorgeous, kind of like a heavenly apology. :)

Nonnie said...

I would love to see some rain here, but no tornadoes, thank you. Very thankful for you that no damage was done to your home and that your pool is all right. That pic of the corn is very sad.
A few years ago, we were hit with flooding here and the lake rose up to our back yard. That was frightful to me and I felt as you did about the ark.
Hopefully, the sun will dry up all the rain soon.
Very nice pic of you.

joanne said...

I've been so busy languishing in our unusual streak of sunshine that I didn't realize that you were having such horrible weather. Sounds like you got the entire menu out there, hope it stays sunny for awhile so everything can shake off and dry out...except the pool!

Hilary said...

We got some nasty flooding in Toronto a few days back. Folks had to be rescued by boat from commuter trains. It's been a strange and in many cases nasty weather year.

Laurie said...

Sure glad you dodged the tornado, YaYa. Hopefully the sun will come out and dry up the water and especially the corn field for that poor farmer.

Sweet Tea said...

Can't imagine 17 days of rain - glad you were spared damage of the storms. I hope the rest of the summer is FANTASTIC - you're due some really great weather now!

Susan Anderson said...

That little pool looks like lots of fun!

Feast or famine on the rain, eh? Hope you get a break for a bit.

=)

Cheltz said...

Wowzers! That's a lot of water. We're getting a bunch of rain at the moment too, but not that much, and we're all excited because we've had hardly any water all year. The pool looks fun! :).

Scriptor Senex said...

Glad the tornado passed you by.

I hope you have many more happy days in the pool and that the flooding recedes without doing any more damage.

Maria at inredningsvis said...

What a lovely blog you have here:)and Im now following

Check out my blog...If you want some cute Swedish decor inspiration:)

Have a great weekend dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(sweden)