Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Spring Into Action!

 I was hoping to get one more April post in but May arrived quickly so I needed to spring into action and post something.   Happy May Day!  Our weather has been very Spring like.  Our temps have been pretty warm and off and on rain makes the grass grow like crazy.  I've already mowed 4 times and might even mow twice this week!  Anyway,  here's what April brought our way.  

Annabelle found a nice place to sit and watch the world go by.  I was a bit worried that this little apple tree's blossoms would get frosted when the temps last month dipped to freezing.  Thankfully they survived and hopefully some apples will too.

Happily I was able to pick some lilacs and enjoy their fragrance! 

Some new drapes for the living room.  They are room darkening so when the hot sun of Summer arrives it may help keep it a bit cooler and give the AC a break!
Hard to see here but they have a bit yellow in them that pics up the yellow of my chairs.  
I don't know if you'd seen these but my Daughter-in-law, Evelyn, saw this on her girl trip last month and got it for me.  So sweet! It unzips and opens into a pretty good size bag.  I love it. I'll keep it in the car for trips to Farmer's Market this Summer.  
This is it all opened.  It will come in very handy I'm sure.
Speaking of Evelyn, she sent me this pic of Jordan and me.  As you can see from the camera in my hand that I usually do the photo shoots so I don't have a bunch with my boys.  I'm not sure when this was even taken...either Easter or last Fall.  
As you can see from this pic we have a Robin back on the patio between the house and the garage.  Of all places to build a nest having it on the baker's rack I use for flowers makes me shake my head.  If I had caught it sooner I would have taken it off of there.  However,
These were already there.  I had cleaned out a nest on the back deck gazebo top only to find out too late there were babies in there.  Yikes!  I couldn't do that again so I put some wood on the shelf above this nest to help keep the rain out. 
Yesterday I noticed this....babies just hatched with one left to go.   We have 6 acres of land with 4 of it being woods.  A good hundred pine trees surrounding the property but the birds have to build a nest right near a busy walk way at the house.  They don't get the "location, location, location of realestate I guess!  Good luck birdies!

Last but not least this past weekend was Ashland High School's senior prom.  Here's our Lexi with her boyfriend John.  Her dress was pretty amazing.
To show off the back of the dress we had them do a dance pose.  All those feathers reminded me of a peacock!  But it was very lovely.  I had to think back to my prom in '71.  No low cut dresses then! High collars, long sleeves, very modest.   Different than today's prom fashions that I see all over.  Oh well.  I had to laugh when they did this pose and my son said: "Remember...dance far apart to let Jesus in"...where he thinks this stuff up I'll never know!
I still can't believe in a few days Lexi will be 18! They grow up so fast as I know from seeing my boys being the Dad's taking the prom, graduation, and other rites of passage pics.  April was a mixed bag of activities, work,  even sadness, but thankfully many blessings.  I hope May is a good month for everyone. 



9 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm delighted to view the blooms around your property, dear friend, beginning with that stunning tree in your header picture. As I mentioned in my reply to your comment at Shady's Place, our temps have been similar to yours, maybe even warmer, but precipitation has been scarce lately. We are planning to run our sprinklers today to freshen up the lawn.

Oh my! Looks like my sweetie Annabelle has a tree growing out of her head! :) Be sure to sing Annabelle this song dedicated to her from Shady:

Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me
Anyone else but me, anyone else but me

That's a beautiful lilac arrangement on your table! Pretty drapes, too! Mrs. Shady and I have two mustard yellow bar stools that seem to match that chair of yours. That bag is so cool! Mrs. Shady would love to have one like it. Today is her birthday, by the way.

That's a terrific picture of you and Jord. Just wish my old buddy Eddy was milling around in the background. It's amazing how those birds choose such an unlikely spot to build a nest and lay their eggs. Over the years, you have posted remarkable images of birds, eggs and hatchlings, and these are some of the best.

Lexi looked gorgeous in her prom dress! Yessum, the girls of today look like sophisticated women compared to how they dressed for the occasion in the boomer era. I can't believe Lexi will soon be 18. She was just a little girl when I started following the Whispering Pines saga. Happy birthday, Lexi!

Please take good care of yourself until we get back together close to the end of the month. Many blessings to you and your family, dear friend YaYa!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy May Dear Kathy! Sounds like things have been growing and going at the Pines. Oh, I'm so anxious for lilacs....I don't even have leaves on my bushes yet. We had been dry and windy here for a long time but that has changed and we are now soggy...very soggy. I had to don my wellies and slicker to go out and hook up a concoction of sub pumps, hoses and extension cords to drain the pool as it was overflowing. Crazy stuff. Didn't that silly robin build a nest on your baker's table last year too? Living the bird brain life to the fullest I guess LOL. Lexi looks beautiful in her dress. While you thought peacock, I was thinking mermaid. In any event, John looks totally smitten. Be grateful she is tasteful in her choice of dresses. The trend here seems to be dresses so short the girls couldn't reach to the side without revealing things best concealed. Yikes. I was astonished when a group of prom attendees passed by us at the hotel we were at. Now, I know I'm really old. ;-). Enjoy your sunshine and spring! ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

LOL on your sons dance advise. Lexi is just gorgeous in her dress though. I also thought peacock. I hope she had fun. Annebelle sure did find the perfect spot and she is so cute sitting there. I have baby wrens near the house. Cannot wait to see them with their feathers. I hope nothing gets your baby robins. Silly mama bird. Janice

jack69 said...

Love the visit, I smiled at the opening of Annabelle sitting at the tree. Great shots today (as always) BUT the robin egs and results take the cake..
Love from Buchanan. On edge awaiting our time in the shop.....

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Thank you for sharing ,Yes kids grow up fast

Kay G. said...

Oh my, Lexis dress is so beautiful! L love it!! Those robins, I think they just like to be featured on your blog, LOL!°

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Kathy! Lexi's dress is beautiful! I love the pictures of the pictures of the robin's nest. I also love that picture of you and Jordan. That bag was a very thoughtful gift from your daughter-in-law. I hope that May is a good month for you and yours. See you again soon!

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Thanks for sharing.The eggs are so blue like someone painted them. How pretty and how amazing they are hatching too!!!

Susan Kane said...

Did the chicks survive? Such pretty eggs, almost artificial looking. Lovely couple/ Your son is so handsome, Lexi is downright gorgeous ! Her dress is impressive.