Monday, May 27, 2024

Lusty Month Of May

 I have seen the movie "Camelot" many times from it's beginning when it first came out in the theater to now as it's on TV here and there.  The song about May is cute but I just realized I had it wrong all these years.  For some reason I thought it said: "It's May, it's May, the "lovely" month of May".  However, it really says: "The "lusty" month of May".  Seriously?  How did I get that wrong all these years?  Probably because I'm such a sweet, innocent lady...HA!  Anyway, this "lusty" month of May is quickly drawing to a close with this weekend being the Memorial Day weekend and tomorrow the Memorial Day remembrance celebrations.  We will have the opportunity to honor all those who have given their lives for our freedoms that we enjoy today.  Thank you to all who have served, who do serve now, and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  I'm proud to be a daughter of a WWII veteran and a sister to my brothers who served during the Vietnam war.  Jack and I went to the cemetery to put the red, white, and blue flower arrangements on his parents and brother's grave site.

There were a lot of folks at the cemetery cleaning around their family's graves today.  The Boy Scouts usually are the ones who come and put American flags on all the veteran's graves.  All those flags were there this year but I'm not sure it was done by Boy Scout troops as we don't have as many troops in Ashland anymore.  That makes me sad.  The cemetery has also had problems with keeping the area mowed and trimmed.  They can't get workers and I believe there's only one person working there now.  It's a big area for one man.  There's been some complaints on Facebook about the condition of the cemetery but what can you do if there's no one who will work there?  Jack suggested that maybe a volunteer organization would be the answer.  I'm thinking we will need to just bring our own equipment and do our own area for now.  Anyway, the entrance does look nice in preparation for the annual Memorial Day program that is put on after the parade.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate.  We've had many lovely days of sunshine until this afternoon when storms came in and we even had tornado warnings out.  Let's hope for a dry morning tomorrow!  If you have plans for the day I hope it's a nice one for not only honoring our soldiers but also for ushering in the beginning of the Summer season.  Go ahead and wear that white now!  In addition to getting ready for Memorial Day, many kiddos are graduating from high school or college this lusty month.  We're celebrating our Granddaughter Lexi who graduates this year.  Her graduation party was yesterday and it went very well.  The venue was one I had never heard of before here in Ashland.  
Yep, it was called "The Funky Junkyard"!  It's an eclectic, artistic kind of place downtown.  Here's a few pics of the venue:


There were 2 rooms that were decorated so crazy that it works!  I kept thinking it would make a perfect place for our family's annual Halloween bash!  I guess there are bands that come and play there and they do artistic gatherings too.  Like I said, it was very eclectic and also fun!
Lots of photos of our little Lexi Lou through the years.
All her favorite foods were there too.  Can you say sushi anyone?  Lex asked if I could make one of her favorites that I make...fruit pizza:
Yes I did! In fact I made two! Forgive the wonky angle here! It has a sugar cookie layer followed by a cream cheese and marshmellow fluff mixture layer, (trust me, it's good!) and then the fruit with a sprinkle of coconut and then a drizzle of white chocolate to finish it up.  There are  many versions out there but this works for us.

Our sweet Lexi! She's planning on attending Bowling Green University in the fall.  I know she'll do great!  Here's a couple of other players at this party:
Our son Phil, Lexi's dad, and her sister Addy (we call her Rae!)
Jack hanging out with Aria, Lexi's little sister.  Aria found a quiet corner to sit and color.  It was a lovely afternoon and a great way to celebrate Lexi and wish her well.  It's been a busy time for us as I'm sure it is for lots of folks this time of year.  Tomorrow, if the weather holds out, we'll be planting our garden and getting the deck ready for outdoor sitting.
I finished painting it and hopefully will get it all "decked" out for the summer into fall season.  There's still a week left May so make it as "lusty" or as "lovely" as you like!

5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm back on the blog scene for another three-day stint, dear friend! Thank you for acknowledging and remembering the brave souls who made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country in times of war. Even before I got to your post, I was thinking of your great dad. Although I never met him, I want to thank him for his service. I am also grateful to him for being responsible for bringing you, a fine person and longtime friend, into the world. I hope they can find a volunteer organization to keep the local cemetery spruced up. It's a shame to let a place of honor and reflection become overgrown and unsightly.

Congratulations to grandkiddo Lexi! That venue for the graduation party is very cool, and I agree it would make an ideal setting for a Halloween party. Having followed Lexi's life through your Whispering Pines blog, I wish I had been there to view the wall of photos showing her journey from child to graduate. She has blossomed into a delightful young woman, as has Addy Rae-Rae. Before you know it, it will be little Aria's turn to enter adult life.

I would like to place an order for 100 of your fruit pizzas. Please send them to me at once! :) Your deck looks great. In a week or two, Mrs. Shady and I are having a 10X10 foot extension added to our existing deck so that we will have more room for seating. We're excited about it.

Speaking of the "lusty" month of May, I just published a new post that fills the bill perfectly. I hope you can swing by and join the fun. Here's wishing you and your wonderful family a safe and restful Memorial Day, dear friend YaYa!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Camelot! That has been one of my lifelong most favorite musicals ever (right up there with The Wizard of Oz). I know I have the VHS tape of it still somewhere but, sadly, no working player. Now that song will be running through my head all day. (That and the title song - just love the part about the rain never coming until after sundown...wish that were the case here!). We had drenching rain and very cool temps yesterday. Sunny today but rain moving in again - but this time not until after sundown LOL. The party looks like it was a great celebration. Congratulations to Lexi and wishing her the best of luck and adventures in the years ahead. I just spoke with the cemetery administrator the day before yesterday. They are struggling keeping up with the grounds as well both due to staffing but also because of all the rain. I have not yet been to the little church cemetery where my paternal grandparents and uncle are buried but it is very small and kept by church members. I always am sad, though, to see the gravestones of those who no longer have family members or family members in the area (or who care) and sit neglected. Your pizza looks and sounds yummy. Hold the sushi and give me an extra serving of pizza please! ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Congrats to Lexi! Best of luck to her for the future. It is sad to see graveyards in disarray, however it is very hard to staff the ones that are no longer being used, like the ones where my family is buried at. Such a shame. Fruit pizza sounds amazing. I love sushi and when we go we always try to get something different. Love them all thus far. Janice

Julia said...

I'm late again to comment. Congratulations to Lexi. How fast she has grown. I wish her all the best for the future. Our cemetery is relatively young and was started in the early 80ies. Fortunately, it is well kept.

The fruit pizza sounds delicious. I'm a shamed to say, I never tried sushi but my daughter loves them.

Enjoy the weekend. Wow! June already tomorrow. Time is flying by so fast.
Take care, hugs.
Julia

Therasia Fraire said...

I was diagnose of herpes virus year 2010 then my life got devastated i have no idea what I could do with my life anymore until I came across a old friend of mine tiffany whom we study together back then in college, she was an African America I explain to her my current health condition she laughed and say that is not a problem because she know a traditional herbal doctor from African whom will cure me completely with a herbal medicines I wow about the conversation then she gave me the herbal doctor email address drjekawo@gmail.com Dr Jekawo replied my mail and I was so happy and he explained how the treatment will go through 25 days, I agreed I paid the preparation fee of the herbal medicines and I received the herbal product within few weeks after preparation of the herbal medicines, I drink the herbal medicine as instructed I must confess that Dr Jekawo is a great traditional herbal doctor I go for a rapid test I was cured completely then I recommend him to my mom whom suffering from dementia and my husband whom was suffering from prostate cancer also get cured by Dr Jekawo. I want to use this your platform to thank him so much and to also recommend him to anyone suffering from herpes,cancer,fibroid,prostate infection,parkinson,gonorrhea,hiv,chlamydia,diabets,hpv,hepatitis and so many diseases Dr Jekawo can cure with his ancestral herbal knowledge is beyond my imagination.