Monday, April 22, 2024

Life

 The post I was going to do today was suppose to be light and airy...nothing heavy or sad.  However, life does come along and things happen that make you shake your head in wonder.  I've been blogging for 16yrs.  The posts have been a journal for me as they go into book form at the end of the year.  Many times I feel like I'm just repeating myself and events but hopefully someday they will be appreciated as my family can see how we've celebrated, changed, moved on and grown up.  Many of my posts with immediate family have also included others who joined us as boyfriends or girlfriends of my boys or my Grandkids.  Our Granddaughter, Summer, dated a young man through her high school years and also her college days.  Brett and Summer were together in many of our Christmas and other holiday gatherings.  They dated about 5 years, lived together after college and were engaged.  But as many young loves go, they decided to go their separate ways and ended the engagement.  Summer moved on and so did Brett. Brett married and became a Dad last year.   Our family still thought highly of him and missed him but we were happy for him and his wife.  Sadly last Wednesday Brett was killed in a car accident.  It shook us all up and especially Summer.  Even though they weren't together anymore he was such a big part of her growing up years in high school and college.  You just don't erase those feelings from your heart.  Our oldest, Jack, knew Brett since he was 11 and Brett was like a big brother to Summer's younger brothers.   I still have many photos of the two of them and fond memories of his fun personality and the good times he shared with us.  He was a wonderful golfer and many times he and my boys would hit golf balls in the back yard that would sail up into the Creepy Woods.  I still find some on my walks up there and even blogged about that too.  He was a hard worker who did well in college, had a good job and was recently promoted.  Why God takes somebody young like Brett at a time in life where he's just blossoming as a husband and Dad is a mystery that can't be solved in this life.  Seeing the table at the funeral home with all his trophies, photos, and memories laid out brought to my mind that life is short and none of us knows what the future will bring.  I told Jack that as I look at my photos of  him I just want to reach in and grab him and warn him.  But we can't do that. There's no going back.  All we can do is offer condolences, prayers, hugs, tears and hope that all will be as it should be in this life.  Rest in peace Brett. You will be missed.



9 comments:

Terra said...

So sad to have a person you care for die so young. I bought the book Where Is God When It Hurts for me, my family and a friend to help deal with grief. Blessings to you and especially to your daughter.

Shady Del Knight said...

YaYa, I am here today because I saw your subject title and sensed that you had bad news. My heart goes out to Summer, to you, and to Brett's new wife, child and family. I often think back to friends I knew in high school whose lives were suddenly cut short in much the same manner as Brett's. Whenever I do, I experience survivor's remorse, knowing full well that it could easily have been me instead of them. Please let Summer know that I am thinking about her during this terrible time of loss and offer wishes of comfort and healing in the difficult days and weeks ahead. Be thankful for those good times with Brett captured in pictures and in happy memories.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

I am so soryy about Brett and hsi family and specially for Summer. Life is full of good memories and when something like this happens we realize how precious those memories become

Prims By The Water said...

How very sad. Prayers to his family. I hope Summer is alright. She will always have his memories. You cannot take that away. I lost my first fiance at 20 and he was also killed in a car accident. I still sometimes think about him and wonder how our life would have been if he was still alive. I was even thinking about him on my way home from work tonight. Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

So very sad for this handsome young man to have been taken so soon. Condolences to your entire family in losing someone you care about.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such sad news to read. My heart hurts for Brett's family and yours. There's no wrapping your head around tragedies that take the young...especially those with such much promise and life. Hugs my friend. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

How very sad. I am continually amazed that someone who is making a difference in the world is taken and others that are not are left here.
When you said you wish you could grab him out of the picture and warn him made my heart squeeze.
sending hugs and blessings to those who loved him.
Cathy

jack69 said...

You said: I told Jack that as I look at my photos of him I just want to reach in and grab him and warn him.
Yes, we can relate. And of course time does go on. Thinking of Summer right now. We lose some touch, but not the memories....

Julia said...

We always think that the young will outlive us but sometimes, God has other plans for them. I'm so sorry for his early departure and for all those who love him, especially his family. This is so tragic.

It's good that you have only positive memories of him. May he rest in peace.

Like you, I never know what to share in my posts and lately, I've been neglecting my own blog.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who love Brett. 🙏🏼 ❤️

Julia