Sunday, July 21, 2013

I Aint Afraid Of No Ghosts!

This past evening  some friends from work and I went on a ghost hunt..or haunt as the establishment called it.  It was at Malabar Farm State Park.  Have you ever heard of Louis Bromfield? He's an award winning author and he bought property near Mansfield, Ohio and called it Malabar Farm. The history of his family is interesting and he was quite popular with Hollywood as he wrote 12 screen plays.(As well as 31 books)  But his love was the land and farming and he lived and entertained many celebrities at this farm. Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart were married here. Remember a little flick called "The Shawshank Redemption"?  The scene where Red digs up the money under the big Oak tree was filmed on the property.  Another known fact is... the place is haunted...or so many say.  I couldn't give you any experiences we had tonight, but we learned of others experiences and also tons of history.  It was a warm, muggy night. Also a buggy night! Armed with bug spray, raincoats that we ended up not needing, a good sense of humor, and a camera, we headed out! We learned of a murdered family from the 1800's.  Celia Rose murdered her whole family with rat poison and we were in her home, the hostel that's on the property, a cemetery,
and of course the "Big House"..the main living space of the Bromfield family.  I'm going to share pics in this post and then share some more in a second post..too many to do at once! Here goes!
Donna on the one end and Shay next to me with Becky on the other end...we hopped on the wagon for the ride to the Hostel.
This Hostel is open to the public and if you stay here maybe you'll see the little girl ghost that runs through the house! We didn't, but you might have more luck than us!
We learned about Celia Rose and her locket...very interesting!
This is one of the homes  that they say is haunted...the Celia Rose house...maybe that's why it's blurry.  Couldn't be my lousy camera skills!
This was the scariest thing we saw in the house!
In the cemetery, actors portrayed the people buried here...that was a fun visit..you know how I do love a good cemetery walk!
I'm going to end this here with a shot of the beautiful sunset over Malabar....more on this fun tour later..I really need to hit the hay!  Boo!


14 comments:

Kim said...

Does anyone know why she killed her whole family? Anyway, looks like fun. I say that but I'm always much braver before intentionally going in a haunted house. Lol But I would also be too scared to wait in the wagon alone :)

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa! Mrs. Shady and I have watched The Shawshank Redemption a dozen times and I can picture that big Oak tree. This tour is a fascinating variation of the traditional "girls' night out" and would be even spookier around Halloween. The picture taken in the cemetery looks like a zombie assault scene from Night of the Living Dead. I join Kim in asking why Celia Rose murdered her entire family. Inquiring minds want to know! Are you afraid of ghosts or would you love to see one? Tell the truth, dear friend. If Vincent Price offered you $10,000 to spend the night at that hostile Hostel, would you dare to do it? :)

Julia said...

Hi Yaya. You girls are always doing fun things together.
You peeked my curiosity and of course I did my own detective work and went online to find out why Celia Rose killed her family.

I wasn't disappointed.
It a good story (short version) about a young disturbed girl falling madly in love with the next door neighbour's boy who didn't returned his love. When told to stay away from him. That's when she decided to add rat poison in her family's breakfast each morning and they all died.

You girls are something else.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Go back in October when they have a special reenactment.

How did you girls slept that night???
Hugs,
JB

Rick Watson said...

You are too funny. That does look like an interesting place.

Rosaria Williams said...

You guys!!!
Glad you had fun, and no children were sacrificed for this adventure!

Cindy said...

Wow! I've been to Mansfield and have seen that park (my in laws retired to nearby Fredericktown years ago but no longer live there). Didn't know about all that spooky history!?

rjerdee said...

Gee, I think I need to put The Shawshank Redepmption on my Netflix list!

acorn hollow said...

love the scary picture of your coworker and you. I would love to go see that looks like fun. on another note Donna looks great
Cathy

Nonnie said...

Looks like you had a great time with your friends in the creepy place! So, I was going to Google about Celia Rose, but I see Julia beat me to it.
What a gorgeous sunset!

Stacy said...

That sounded like a fun visit. I love Malabar. And Louis Bromfield was a neat individual. I read one of his books for a class at AU it was pretty good. You might want to read one sometime.

gin said...

I love places like that. I know y'all had a great time.

Willow said...

Looks and sounds like a fun time !
Did you ride in on those motorcycles.
Shay was holding the bug spray I see :)
Gorgeous sunset !

Willow said...

Looks and sounds like a fun time !
Did you ride in on those motorcycles.
Shay was holding the bug spray I see :)
Gorgeous sunset !

Kerri said...

What fun to go with friends! Next time, would please get a picture of the tree where Shawshank was filmed! I thought that scene was from Perrysville?