Sunday, July 7, 2013

On My Honor

Jack followed the "On my honor I will do my best" part of the scout oath.  He spent last week at Boy Scout summer camp...like he's done for the last 25yrs.  He and other leaders from our Ashland group left early Monday morning to head south to Coshocton to the scout reservation.  It was a very wet week.  The heat wasn't too bad, but the humidity,  bugs,  mud and wet were a big issue. 
The boys were able to set up quickly before rain arrived.
I like the look of this "tepee" style tent!
The trailer was unpacked and I asked Jack what this was inside it..then I remembered that one of the leaders...Kyle...had made an air conditioner out of a cooler, pipes..and ice...well, anyway , it's a cool thing..pardon the pun!
This view Jack took from inside his tent..his world for the week..notice the fan? Battery operated of course..it's a life saver most years!
This mode of transport comes in very handy when trying to get from one end of this camp to the other..or for hauling "stuff"
The owner is a very conservative guy and somebody thought it would be funny to put this all over his cart. I'm not sure he was that amused!
Hi Dominic...He's the camp director's son. I remember when he was just a little guy.  Remember, Jack's been going there for 25yrs..alot of growing up has gone on over those years! (Him and the boys!)
This camp sight made me smile..so neat and clean
Jack said this was on the other side of that tent..and it made me cringe and want to get into "Mom mode" and clean it all up!
Where is everyone going in such a hurry?
The dining hall of course! The food is really pretty good at this camp.
Jack knows I'm always watching those silly ghost shows on TV and when I saw this pic I immediately thought: "Wow, paranormal! Old scouters returning from the dead?" Ha!
One of the important things they do at camp is service...every year they help in some way to the upkeep of the camp.  This year, like many others, tree removal is important.  You can see by the size of the tractor next to that trunk, how large this one was.  Lots of firewood for the future!
So at the end of it all...there has to be this...time for rest...The leaders and the boys!
Even though the weather was iffy most times, the guys had fun and accomplished many merit badges and service projects, skits, food and fun. Boy Scouts of America has taken it on the chin this year and is literally fighting for it's life...I think it's a great organization that can teach these young men so many wonderful skills and life lessons.  Our Grandson Anthony was able to attend the 11yr old scout camp day and overnighter and loved it..his words.."It  was really fun...I want to go back next year for the whole week..I want to be an Eagle Scout"....I hope it's still available to him. Good job Jack! Welcome home!


17 comments:

selvageedge said...

Love those last two pictures. They look like they need Kyle's AC. I'm glad that Anthony got to go to camp; I didn't know he was on the list.

Rosaria Williams said...

The boys learn so much on these camps. Your husband is remarkable for all the years he dedicated himself to this cause.

Shady Del Knight said...

It's wonderful that Jack has spent a quarter century joining the Scouts on their annual summer camping trip. His tent looks mighty comfy (like the Taj Mahal) with that battery powered fan. Based on my years in scouting I can testify that iffy weather is half the fun of camping. I remember my dad and I spending a week in a log cabin in the mountains in the dead of winter. It snowed heavily and the place was unheated except for a fireplace. We nearly froze in our sleeping bags at night. Once again I salute your husband for serving as a positive role model and throwing his support into the scouting program all these years. Have a great week, dear friend YaYa!

Rick Watson said...

That looks like a lot of fun. It's been too long since I went camping.
R

Stacy said...

I am so glad that the boys got to go. It was weird not packing a boy or a leader to go this year. I was glad he was home though...

Hope Anthony works for that goal. Kadin sure enjoyed his day down there too. I think he is sold on a week of scout camp next year too.

Julia said...

That looks like a lot of work and organization to get that project going. They look like typical men and need their naps.

I love the cooler machine and the fan in the tent.
Thanks for the camping trip.

Hugs,
JB

Scriptor Senex said...

Sorry to hear that Boy Scouts of America is in danger. So far as I know the Scouts over here are in a healthy state and long may they stay so.

karen said...

So glad Jack loves to camp because those boys all need someone like him. Me? Too much work and dirt and bugs for me. Not a fan.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

:) I'm the one that wrote that on the back of the cart. :) Got mixed up and thought it was mine. Sorry.

Pat used to work with the Scouts. The Devil Pups. I went a couple of years and really enjoyed myself.
We hauled a tiny little trailer up those rugged mountain roads to the camp. No wonder our little Chevy was never the same!
It's very rewarding...we had a blast.

Susan Anderson said...

I love and appreciate the men who take our boys camping!

=)

In My Wild Eden said...

What great memories they are making. All your pictures brought back so many memories of camp outs when I was young. I sure hope it can continue.

Kay G. said...

I love the Boy Scouts! I was the nerdy leader who made them do skits and learn songs. I had a lot of fun when my son was in Scouts! Wish I could have had time to go on one of the summer Boy Scout camps, I would have liked it, I am sure.

Donna said...

Loved this post! Have heard you talk so much about the camp, it was fun to see. The sky photo was awesome! Love the air conditioner lol. Jack is a great guy that I admire for doing that for twenty five years! Bugs, heat and al!!!

Willow said...

Camping just truly teaches such foever memories and ways of a connecting with nature.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Honey I loved your post today. It's amazing that hubby has been doing this for 25 years. I really admire his dedication to such a wonderful organization.
These pics are great and I am so glad I was able to stop by today.
I have been trying for weeks to post on my site but for some reason when I go to write the post it won't let me compose or write anything.
Have you had any trouble with Blogger. I have never had this happen to me before. I know sometimes it won't let me load pics but never has it not let me write a post or even copy and paste one.
I know everyone thinks I have left the country. haha
Love
Maggie

Cheltz said...

Way to go Jack! It looks like he has this thing down to a science--a battery operated fan?? :). I don't miss the humidity, or the bugs that come with it, but it sure is pretty :).

rjerdee said...

Fun to get a peek inside an old-fashioned style camp situation. Bet the boys LOVED it!!!