Tuesday, July 23, 2013

And The Award Goes To..

ME!  On Saturday, besides hunting for ghosts,  I was given an award from our good buddy Shady Dell.  He was given the award from a couple of blog followers of his who have good taste!  He passed it over to me and a few other friends.  It's called:
The Liebster award is given to someone with less than 200 followers.  I'm someone who likes to keep in touch with my followers and I'm not sure I could do that if I had over 200!  I'm always happy to welcome new followers, and  I love the blog buddies  that take time to read and comment to me and I try to do the same back.  In the spirit of the award there are some questions that must be answered.  Shady gave us the same questions he received and told us to answer which ones we wanted or none at all.  Well, I picked 10 out of the 12 to answer.  I hope that's OK!   Thanks again Tom for this award.  Here goes:
1. What was your first job and did you enjoy it?
My first real...not the hellatious job of babysitting that I had to do for cash until I turned 16....was a candy counter girl at a movie theater...and I  LOVED IT!!  Maybe it was the fact I could see all the movies for free and give passes to family...or maybe it was the other kids I worked with...or maybe it was all the popcorn I ate for free!  I also gave free popcorn to my friends who came back to the counter with an empty container...hey, we inventoried the popcorn containers...not the popcorn! Whoops, maybe I shouldn't tell anyone that. Let this be our secret...OK?
2. Do you have a collection....what is it?
Santa Claus figures or pictures...I used to add one every year, but I've slowed down and really don't add much more to the collection...I'm running out of space to store them! Ha! I also love to give them away to my kids when they say they like one...hey, it's yours!
3. What is your  default  "too lazy to cook" meal?  Probably pizza, or something from the A&W rootbeer stand in the summer. Sometimes KFC  fills in for me too!
4. What is your favorite thing to wear that you always feel fantastic in?  My work scrubs...NOT! Just kidding..it would be a pair of jeans that I've had forever..I love them because they are soft, comfy, fit good and are worn and torn on the cuffs....sorry, that's just how I roll!
5. Summer? Fall? Winter? Spring?  I would have to say  Fall.  I love when the leaves change and the air is cool and crisp after a hot and humid summer.  I love pumpkins, and Halloween, witches, and candy corn.  I love Fall even though I know what comes next!
6. What is your favorite moment in history?  This was a hard question to answer. There are so many great times in history that have made big impacts on our life and lifestyles.  The Vietnam era played a big part of my teen years. Having brothers who served and seeing how that time affected my parents and our family life. It wasn't the greatest time for them, but having my brothers come home safe and healthy...that was the good part.  I was, and still am, very proud of them.
7. What is the one song that without a doubt always puts you in a good mood?  John Denver's "Country Road"...I love John Denver...ask anyone at work. Yes, I'm weird.
8.  If you had to pick one, would it be the Beatles....or the Rolling Stones.  This is easy peasy....I'm a die hard Beatles lover and I hated the Stones when they first came out because I thought they were going to put the Beatles out of business...Hahaha! Who knew that they would all (the living ones)  still be singing at age 65 and older!
9.  Do you have any hidden talents or abilities for anything in particular? If so, what are they? Well, I'm pretty good at  helping do total knee replacements and gall bladder surgery...not that anyone ever asks to see me do that.  I can't sing, dance, draw, or sew.  But I'm perfect at admiring others who do have those abilities! 
10.  What was a favorite vacation?  A few years ago we went to Alaska and I absolutely loved it.  We had the best time and saw the most amazing scenery and wildlife and met great people.  That same year I was able to go with my Mom to Ellis Island in New York and see my Grandparents name on the wall that's there to honor immigrants who came through Ellis.  Mom was able to see where her Mother and Father came to this country and experience just a small bit of how they must have felt.  It was very moving and as I stood on the island and looked across the water at New York City I marveled at the beauty of this city and thought I truly was blessed to go from sea to shining sea that year and see how wonderful our country is and how grateful to my ancestors for making the trip!  Well, those are the questions I chose to answer. I'm now suppose to pick blogs for this award and have them also answer questions.  Most blogs I follow have tons of followers or don't want awards. I'm only going to pick one this time and it's my friend Stacy at  the Crawford Family Weekly  blog.  I hope that's OK Stacy!  I talked her into blogging..(I think).  Anyway, I  think every blog I follow is award winning.  I started blogging 5 years ago and I've met some really talented and fun bloggers.  I was really surprised how fun this turned out to be.  Many times I've heard people say: "I wouldn't be able to blog...I have nothing to write about." Seriously? Everyone has a story!  You just need to tell it...write it  and they will come...you just might be surprised at who you meet!


17 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Congrats on your award! :-) It was fun getting to know other tidbits about you!

Sush said...

Congrats on your award, Cathy...you truly deserved it! I love reading and following your blog and consider you a 'real' friend!
Great choice, Tom!
Hope to be visiting my fav blogs soon, but I've been on baby duty with the twins for a bit. Came back to adult kids missing the babysitting on the home front!
Hugs and glad your summer is going great guns!

Hilary said...

Congratulations on the award. It was fun reading these little tidbits about you. I also thought blogging was for other people. I couldn't imagine that I'd have enough to fill more than just a few posts. That was (exactly) 6 years ago. I guess we've both figured it out, eh? :)

Shady Del Knight said...

Hello, dear YaYa! I can imagine Eddy beaming with pride over his mommy's blog award.

Growing up, I often thought it would be fun to work in a movie theater. The air conditioning alone would have been a major perk back then. Free popcorn? I'm so there! Did you also prop the exit door open so that your friends could sneak in? :)

I love your Santa collectibles. That's a great idea. My mother collected rooster figures with equal passion.

For years Mrs. Shady moaned about wearing scrubs to work every day, even the ones with stylish colored prints. Now that she's an NP she is able to wear street clothes and get gussied up.

Having lived close to you for more than 30 years I share your memories of brisk autumn days, frost on the pumpkin, Halloween (my favorite holiday) and the York Halloween parade.

Mrs. Shady has been begging me for years to take her on an Alaskan cruise. She kicked me in the pants recently when I tried to save a few bucks by booking us on a "Deadliest Catch" fishing trawler!

I can feel your family's pride in that moving pilgrimage to Ellis Island.

Dear YaYa, what a great friend you turned out to be and what a great blogger you are. Your Liebster award is richly deserved. Rarely have I felt more at home than the times when I come to visit Whispering Pines. Good day to you, dear friend!

gin said...

Congrats to you! I enjoy your blog. I check you out everyday to see what you have going on.

Julia said...

Yaya, you are the most gracious blogger I know and I mean it.
Congratulations on your award and thanks for leaving me out, lol... I'm an award free blog but I can't even remember if I put a note to say so on my blog. lol...

You also have such a great sense of humour and adventure. You must be a lot of fun to be with. I love all your answers.

You are right about how easy it is to blog and the richness that comes from it.
Sending you my admiration and hugs.
JB

Susan Anderson said...

This was fun to read, Kathy. Can't wait to see what Stacy has to say...

=)

Nonnie said...

Congratulations on your award. Your answers were fun to read, and I will say that I enjoy reading all your blogs. They are warm and informative and I love the pics of your neck of the creepy woods and meeting your co-workers.
We went to Alaska last year and visited Ellis Island many years ago. Ellis Island was a moving place to visit - how cool to see your family's names there.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

First of all congratulations to you for your award and then to Stacy.
It is nice to know a little bit more about you.
I always found your blog postings to be very wholesome if we can describe them that way ( I am now translating my thoughts in Hindi to English ). They are family oriented and show that you care about your family and friends a lot.

Donna said...

Fun to read your answers and I probably know you well enough to know most of them. Neat post...neat award!

Scriptor Senex said...

Good one, Kathy! Great fun.

Scriptor Senex said...

P.S. Where were you when I had to have my gall bladder out?

Cheltz said...

Oh, I HATED babysitting too -- I thought I was the only one! Fun questions, and fun answers :).

Willow said...

Yaya Congrats. on the award~ I have always admired the way you share your world with us on your blog.
You are so genuine and caring and fun!
I love my visits to Whispering Pines !

karen said...

Congratulations on the award - I love reading your blog. It's so newsy and fun. I told Donna that I would have loved to have gone on the ghost hunt with you all. Nothing like being scared with all your good friends! You and I share many likes - KFC as an easy go-to meal is one of them. Pizza too - although these days thats a rare one. Maybe when all the weight is off? You should devote a post to your Santa collection some time. I'd love to see what you have.

selvageedge said...

Thank you for all of your fun answers. I'll have to check out Stacy's too. :)

Stacy said...

Thanks Yaya, I'll answer your questions.