Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Endings And Beginnings

There has been some discussion at work about this new decade we're rolling into tomorrow.  Is 2019 the end of the decade or is 2020 the last year of the decade?  We're deep thinkers around the operating room table! However you dice it, it's an end to this year in a few hours and the beginning of the roaring 20's!  I think sounds pretty cool to say the roaring 20's since I'm assuming most of us weren't there in 1920! Do you pick out a phrase that's your moto for a new year? Maybe it's just a word that will define the next 12 months for you.  I've chosen a few in the past but I'm thinking this year the word "CHANGE" is fitting.  Jack and I made out a list a few years ago of things that needed done around the Pines and some other goals.  I still have that list and looking at it I can see we've knocked a few off and still have some to go.  Having goals and projects is a good thing.  2020 could be interesting as I look to slowing down my work schedule.  I was originally saying I was going to retire,  but my boss told me I could just change my status to "PRN"..which means if they need extra help I'll be given a call and have the power to say "yay" or "nay".  It means no call and no weekends or holidays also.  So that's the change I'm planning on that front.  Others will happen I'm sure.  Life isn't about staying the same every day.  I think it's about bobbing and weaving your way each day and hoping for a good outcome or if not a good outcome, at least a good plan B!  I'm hoping for some adventures with Jack and some good family time and outdoor time too.  Today I do have to go to work but it's not until 11:00. Talk about bobbing and weaving through the day....no scheduled cases until noon for some reason. Anyway, I'm on call until 7pm. and then we're suppose to meet with some friends up at church for food and fun.  It's started to snow outside and hopefully it won't make the roads treacherous for any party goers tonight.  Every year I make a Greek New Year's bread called vasilopita..here's my results this year..
It's a sweet bread with a little surprise inside...a coin is baked with the bread and when it's cut the one who finds the coin is suppose to have good luck all year.  Can you see my 2020 carved in the top? It made the house smell like orange and cinnamon and hopefully it will taste as good as it looks and smells!
The snow has started and I don't think anyone wants to sit for long on the front porch today!
Arnie is good with it..he likes snow better than the heat of summer.
And finally, I'm old now. Yesterday I picked up my new glasses...bifocals...or I should say, they are called "transitions"...another word for change.   I'm trying to get used to them.  I guess I'll have all decade to do it!  Have a safe new year's eve....The End..and the Beginning~

9 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

My understanding is that 2020 is actually the last year of the decade and that the next decade begins January 1, 2021. However that shouldn't prevent us from observing that The Roaring Twenties of the 21st century will soon be underway. To celebrate, I'm going to do the Charleston and then soak in a bathtub filled with gin. :) At a time like this I recall that our dear friend Margaret Schneider was a teenager during The Roaring Twenties of the last century.

I hope you embrace change in the coming year and whittle down your list of goals and DIY projects around The Pines. I know you will appreciate the change in your work schedule to a flexible rather than a rigid one. It will be nice to have holidays off. You deserve and have worked hard to earn the time off.

Please send me six dozen loaves of your vasilopita bread. It looks delicious and I could use some extra spending change. :) It's good to see Arnie outside in the snow. My Toto loved the brief cold weather season in Florida and wanted to be outdoors all the time, and the windier the better. I wear transition glasses, but following my recent cataract surgery in one eye, my doctor popped the lens out of my glasses on that side and I can see just fine.

Thank you very much for being a loyal friend and Shady supporter throughout 2019, dear YaYa. I value your friendship all these years, your reflections on the past in your comments and your sense of humor. I look forward to lots more sharing and caring in 2020. Happy new year to you, Jack, Arnie, your mother and sister, your brothers, kids and grandkiddos, and everyone you hold dear. I'll see you next year, my wonderful friend!

jack69 said...

I like the coin bread thing. Yes once you said it, I did see the 2020. 2020 is the first year of the 20's. We were taught all our lives 1-10 were the basic numbers, but with the digital age the fact jumped out the basic numbers are 0-9, 10 being the restart LOL. For this old man it is still hard to face until I do a Alpha-numeric sort and see the result I realize the 0 is actually considered first. LOL
Yep, humans learn they need a goal or they stagnate. I like the 'PRN' idea, a GREAT transition.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your Jack. We Jacks are lucky!
Sherry & jack

CHERI said...

For the first time last year I chose the word JOY and did my very best to incorporate that into my life. HOWEVER, I fizzled out after a short time....sad to say! I have never made resolutions but I sure wanted this "word thing" to be a success. I am thinking of trying again this year although I haven't figured out my word....maybe JOY again. I've been so sick lately and it has made me think about a lot of things. I want to get well and enjoy my life. So for now I will focus on getting well and then hopefully 2020 will turn out to be a really good year. Hope your 2020 is awesome and all the CHANGES will be great ones.

acorn hollow said...

I am way ahead of you on the transition lens they didn't take much for me to get use to.
Sounds like a big year coming up for you I still a few more years to work so we have made that list of things to get done before I am lol. We have cleaned up about 10 inches of snow that fell over 2 days I am done with snow.
Save travels and have a great new year
Cathy

betty said...

I had gratitude for my last year's word and I'm not sure I did very well with it, LOL. I'm going to try the word FOCUS this year as in focusing more on Jesus and less on the world and my problems. Let's see if I do better with that word.

Good for you for going prn!! You might enjoy keeping your foot in the water so to speak and work on your terms not theirs and its the added benefit of no call, no weekends, and no holidays!! I found with hubby retired and me not working currently, that I had to still structure my days somewhat. The first few weeks with him being home, I kept thinking it was like the weekend so I was ready to go out and play, LOL. And of course that is fun for some days, but not all days. Its a learning thing as you'll discover :)

Love your picture! I've been in transition lenses for a few years now (okay more than 10 years LOL). It does take getting used to but then you wonder how you ever did without them.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

betty

Stacy said...

Happy New Year Yaya. I hope you find the change you are looking for and have some great memories to blog about. PRN sounds like a nice compromise to retiring.

Julia said...

Happy New Year Yaya. I love the new glasses. You'll get used to them in no time.
I'm so glad that you are retiring and still can occasionally go back to help in the OR. It's a great way to still see your working buddies.
All the best for 2020.
Hugs, Julia

R's Rue said...

Happy New Year.

Christina said...

I made a version of that bread, too, but your's looks way better than mine! I think that's cool that you have that option for your job because you're like the boss of your own schedule. Nice! I love the look of your new glasses! Very classy.