Sunday, December 22, 2019

And So This Is Christmas..


Because of my work call schedule we had to gather today at the Pines for our Christmas with the family.  Summer noticed the blackboard in the kitchen was bare so she bid everyone welcome as she and her fiance, Brett, were the first to arrive. It's been a very busy and hectic week as Jack is recouping, yet still trying to do everything to help me with prep for today.  Yesterday we finished the last bit of  shopping and then I worked on food and wrapping those presents.  Everyone seemed pleased with the gifts and dinner was really good too. But hearing the laughter and watching the grown up kids and the grandkiddos enjoying the day was my best present!
Dinner was enjoyed in the dining room...
And in the kitchen!
Do you do Christmas "poppers"? They make a pop sound when pulled apart and small gifts pop out as well...and also crowns!
Nobody is too big to not join in! I'm not sure of the background about poppers but I do believe they are British in origin? Is that why there's a crown? You can let me know! Looking good Phil and Rae Rae!
Summer made me laugh because she was afraid to pop hers! It doesn't explode like a bomb after all!
After dinner the kids were looking forward to the plastic wrap ball game that we played last year and I decided to do again today.
A roll of  the dice, a pair of oven mitts, a huge ball of plastic wrap with inexpensive gifts inside is really a fun game.  I put lottery tickets in too but so far no big winners...darn it!  Lexi was the big winner today by unwrapping so fast and furious...Then everyone shared with those that didn't win much. Since everyone likes it I'm sure we'll do it again next year.
Watch out though...a pair of sticky people could end up on the ceiling! The weather was beautiful today. I know it's the beginning of Winter but the temps were in the upper 40's with sunshine.  It felt like Spring! We went outside and played with the dirt bike and just enjoyed being outside in the fresh air.  I didn't have a camera with me for pics however..too busy at times to click a pic.  But  I did capture some of the players inside:
Cameron..
Jack and our daughter-in-law Evelyn
Rae Rae enjoying her candy cane that tastes like oreos!
Son Phil just chilling
Brett, our almost Grandson in-law. The wedding date is August 28, 2021..seems far away but I'm sure time will pass quickly.  We've known Brett since he was about 16.  Summer and Brett have been together all these years and now even work in the same place.  Brett you are a sweetie and we're excited for you to be forever in our family!  And so this is Christmas here at our home. It was great and I'm so thankful for my family and for our friends that we were with this morning at Church.  We are blessed.  I'm bushed so I'm heading for a long Winter's nap...well, until 5:15am tomorrow anyway! Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight

9 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I admire your header with the snowman and his sweetie, dear friend, and I am very happy to see all the smiling faces at your Christmas at The Pines celebration. I'm thankful that Jack continues to recover from his recent health challenges and was able to help you with holiday party preps and sit down and enjoy a meal with the family. I hope some scraps fell to the floor for Arnie. It was great to see grandkiddos Summer, Addy Rae Rae, Lexi and Cam along with Evelyn, Phil - everyone but the Yeti. I hope you remembered to take a plate of hot food out to his den in the Creepy Woods.

I am not familiar with poppers, nor have I ever played that plastic wrap ball game. Looks like kiddos young and old had fun with those activities.

Temps in the upper 40s and you're celebrating mild springlike weather? Our coldest night hasn't been anywhere near that low yet and we are still running the air conditioner day and night.

I hope Summer and Brett get their storybook ending. They seem perfectly suited for each other. You truly are blessed, YaYa. You have a wonderful family. I wish you all, including your mother and sister, family members in Oregon and down Panama way, a very merry Christmas!

joeh said...

Good times!

betty said...

I'm still trying to imagine a candy cane that tastes like an Oreo :) I always enjoy reading about your family get togethers. There always seem to be a lot of fun and food at them! I had heard of poppers but never had them and your game with the plastic roll, dice and oven mitt sounds interesting. I'm not sure I got how it was played, but it does sound merry! Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!!

betty

acorn hollow said...

Always looks like a good time at your house. We do the poppers so fun I thing the person with the crown gets the first piece of christmas cake but since they all have crowns cake for everyone!
Merry Christmas
Cathy

Julia said...

Such a fun time at your house. So sorry you have to work on Christmas Day. We used to do the Christmas Crackers too but haven't done it in a while. We have a traditional game too with small presents and it has become a highlight in our Christmas gathering too. There is so much laughter. It like a Yankee swap.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Hugs, Julia

Susan Anderson said...

What a wonderful celebration! It was so much fun seeing all the pics of your cute family. And thanks so much for your sweet comment on my Christmas story. I do agree that keeping lost (temporarily!) loved ones in our hearts and thoughts brings them near, and that helps make Christmas more sweet than bitter. As you well know, my family loves the holidays, and we still do. :But we miss Todd's wry humor and quick intelligence in the mix.

Hugs to you and yours. xo

jack69 said...

What a wonderful early Christmas. Enjoyed the family pictures. Sends my mind back along ways. Glad you guys could get together and glad to continue to hear Jack is recuperating.
Sorry about the work schedule, but you are in that hectic life that doesn't slow down because of the Christmas Joy.
Love from Florida,
Sherry & jack

Prims By The Water said...

Looks like your early Christmas was both festive and fun! Your family is lovely! Looks like your game was a blast too. Merry Christmas! Janice

Kayla Carter said...

Looks like you had a full house today. We got to enjoy some outside time today too. We went for a walk in Mohican. Beautiful day.