Monday, December 16, 2019

God Bless Us Everyone

As the Christmas season approaches I sometimes find myself like old Scrooge, bahumbugging around the town.  We've had a little added stress with Jack's surgery so close to the holiday.  He's doing good but very sore and restricted with what he can do and that's difficult for him! Work is always a bit crazy this time of year, but we've got it surrounded as they say.  We made the trip to Chicago for our annual gathering with my family this past weekend.  I did the driving and managed not to kill us along the way.  Actually I've done this drive for the last 45 years when it was just Jack and I, Jack and I and assorted kiddos as they came along and many times alone or with just one or more of the kids.  I think I have it down! The traffic wasn't too bad and the weather cooperated so all was good.  As we gathered and greeted my siblings as they arrived by plane or car from all areas of the country I began to feel more like Tiny Tim. All smiley, full of Christmas cheer and ready for that wonderful holiday food and festivities!  All the sibs made it and we did have a great time together.  Mom was feeling good and it turned out to be nice weather too. What more could we ask for? Of course I have pics to prove it, sooooo...here's to another Arends family gathering:
 Friday night we had dinner at Mom's...see her reading her mail in the background? My sister had the table all ready for us.
Looking fabulous Mommo!
My brothers and my sister-in-law Deidra.  My brother Phil (on the end near Jack) came all the way from Panama were he lives most of the year.  The chilly Chicago air was a challenge for him!
Lots of laughter and stories to go around.  The next day had us all together at my niece's home for the big party.  She has a lovely, large home that can accommodate the big crowd of old and young.
She too had the table all decorated for us.  The theme this year was Nutcrackers.
She had many all over the place and she's a police officer/detective so you can see why she would have a police nutcracker!
Jack looking good!
Don't be frightened by the Butler...he has the jello shots to ease your nerves.
Let the festivities begin!
Mom was looking great as always!
But she still will not be kept sitting for long...helping out where she can.
Or discussing important things with her Granddaughter, Vicki.
The littles finding mischief under the tables.
My niece's dog...Thor...big but loveable!
After a delicious dinner, out came the sweets...holy cow..but very yummy as well as pretty.
Pictures by the tree were many and the rest of the weekend was filled with the good times of family. We laughed at the slides I had made into a DVD to sit and enjoy.  We saw our lives pass in front of our faces as we watched and wondered where the time had gone, how young we all were, and how many of the Grandkiddos look like their Grandparents.  We talked of our lives now, some of us are retired or thinking along those lines. We shared photos of those in our own families who couldn't make it there and remembered with smiles, some tears, and great memories of those who have gone on ahead of us.  We left with hugs all around, a promise to make it not only next Christmas but sooner as the weather gets warmer. We prayed for those who are having some health issues and sincerely hope all will be with us next year at a time when we again will be saying: "God Bless Us Everyone!"

13 comments:

acorn hollow said...

How wonderful!!! Now that is how Christmas is suppose to be! Glad Jack is on the mend the the trip was a safe one.
Cathy

acorn hollow said...

p.s. call me if you are in the area the tea kettle is on.
Cathy

betty said...

You all look great! And of course you know what I think about your mom but I'll say it okay. She is downright gorgeous for her age! Jack looks good too considering the surgery he had! Looked like a lot of fun! That was one tall Christmas tree your niece had! It is always good to get together with family! Never time that is ill wasted for sure! Merry Christmas!

betty

CHERI said...

How wonderful that your trip and your family gathering turned out so perfectly...even with the weather cooperating! As of about 3 yrs. ago now, we no longer do big family gatherings at Christmas. We always had it at my mother's but she finally said she just couldn't do it any longer. So now my family gets together every other Thanksgiving. My husband, sister, and I will visit Mama this weekend. It's just not the same and my sister and I really miss it, but circumstances change and we have to change with them. I am still happy though to spend a relaxing Christmas morning with my son, DIL, and grands and our breakfast together. The grands love coming over for all their gifts:) Hope your hubby continues to improve and hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

What a lovely, well written post, dear friend! I am overjoyed to learn that you had such a delightful family gathering in Chicago. Good travel weather helps turn a Scooge attitude into a Tiny Tim mindset. I admire the festive holiday decorations you encountered. I can't decide which is more beautiful, that glowing Christmas tree or your dear mother. I swear she must be secretly sipping from the fountain of youth, because she looks younger and fresher every year. I'm thankful that you found her in good health. Jack looks like a tower of strength in that standing pose, and I am happy to know he continues to recover from his ordeal. It's nice to see all of the happy, well dressed family members in these pictures, plus your niece's dog Thor. I'm sure your DVD slideshow triggered a thousand happy memories of days gone by. I hope Christmas 2020 finds all of you together again, happy and healthy. Your family is truly blessed.

Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

Julia said...

What a wonderful Christmas gathering. I'm so glad the weather was nice. Traveling at this time of year can sometimes be a bit challenging with winter weather. As always, your mom looks radiant and happy to have you all together. The deserts look so good.
Thanks for sharing great pictures of your family celebrations with us.

Take care and stay safe.
Hugs, Julia

Rick Watson said...

Traffic around here has been crazy. Each time we’re on the Interstate we see car tags from all over.
Sounds like a good weekend.

jack69 said...

Boy Howdy, I B proud of you handling the Chicago traffic. The two times we made it thru tells me now to AVOID it. LOL Love the family pictures and glad your Jack is doing well after surgery. (Skeered me thinking the operation had turned him into the butler! LOL)
Anyway, glad the get together was a success and family could enjoy time together again. This time of the year that is SPECIAL. The song 'Home for the Holidays' always come to mine.
Love to y'all,
Sherry & jack

Prims By The Water said...

I have been to Chicago only a few times...but the traffic is much more worse in Atlanta. I hate driving though there. So glad you were able to make it to your Christmas gathering and your mom looks so SWEET! Janice

Kay G. said...

Well done you driving to Chicago! I can't hardly drive to Atlanta myself, so I am proud of you!
Those gorgeous tables you have shown us, decorated so perfectly! ANd your Mom looking so good, I am grateful that you were all able to get together. God bless you every one. xx

gin said...

Lovely! Another Family Christmas is always a blessing. You and Jack look fabulous! As well as your mom each time we get to see her in pictures. Merry Christmas to you!!

Susan Anderson said...

I love these photos! Your mom looks terrific. We surely do miss our mom and grandma, and it makes me happy that you are being blessed with even more years with yours. I can see why you turned into Tiny Tim in the midst of all that love and good feeling!

Merry Christmas, my friend.

:)

Susan Anderson said...

PS. Sorry your hubby needed surgery and glad he is recovering well!