On Monday morning this past week I handed in my resignation. If you remember, I had retired in 2020. In 2022 my former boss asked if I would be interested in returning PRN. If they needed help they would contact me and I could say yes or no. I received no benefits except for a paycheck. That was fine with me and I went back. I ended up working at the endoscopy unit at our facility on Mifflin ave, off of the hospital campus. It turned out to be a learning experience as I had not done colonoscopies or EGDs much before that. I really enjoyed the time and learned so much. I loved the staff I worked with and the doctors were great. I worked a pretty steady schedule of 2-3 days a week. However, this past year we had some big doctor players that left our facility. You can't do surgery without surgeons. As the work slowed down, so did their need for my services as the regular OR staff would have to go to Mifflin endo if they wanted to work. They didn't like it much but they liked having their paychecks! I was down to only working 2-3 days a month. After not standing for an 8-10hr shift except once in a while, I felt it was too hard physically. I had a hard time making up my mind to actually hand it that resignation. When I retired in 2020 the timing was right and I had no qualms about it. This time was different and I realized it was because I enjoyed it so much more this time around. But timing is everything and the time was right. On that Monday I headed over to the hospital, said goodbye to staff and doctors, and handed my boss the resignation, and my badge. I walked to the discharge elevator to head to the parking lot. The doors opened, I started to go in, and then I dropped my car keys.....RIGHT DOWN THE ELEVATOR SHAFT! After working there for over 40 years and coming and going at all times of the day and night, that had never happened! I felt pretty stupid but had to think: "Was God telling me something?" Well, maintenance got the keys for me and I asked if I was the first one to have this happen. They said, no, it happens about twice a month! Well, I felt slightly better after that. Then I got in my car and one of my tires was low and we ended up having to get a new one. Then I decided to mow my yard and the mower broke. Now I was seriously thinking I had a black cloud hanging over my head! Well, the mower got fixed by Jack and my son Phil. The tire replaced. I thought burning some sage in the house might help get any negativity out of my life. So I did it! The next day we got a letter from the bank that said we had overpaid on our mortgage we had paid off. I was excited to see a check! I thought, "The sage worked!" Yep, 3 whole cents were over paid! They actually sent me a check for 3 cents with the admonition to cash it before 90 days or it would be void. Well, at least it wasn't a bill! I did tear it up and toss it in the trash. They can't fool me, there are no pennies! Yep, timing is everything!
5 comments:
I sure hope things get better for you. I am sure you made the right decision. There are times we have to sage our antique store. Look at the brighter side...you now have more free time to do what you want to. Janice
Some days are like that. Murphy's law... What can go wrong will go wrong.
I'm glad that you got your keys back.
Enjoy your retirement and the new season of fall.
All the best to you.
Hugs, Julia
Yikes it sounds like a black cloud was following you. Glad the sage helped.
Happy 2nd retirement.
Cathy
Congratulations on Retirement No. 2! I won’t bake a cake or send flowers just yet. ;-) Odd that a facility like that has an elevator where keys can be dropped in the shaft?? I’d also say odd that you had so many mishaps throughout the day but I have more of those days than not. Wishing a great first week of retirement (2.0). ;-)
Oh you are so funny!! I was afraid you were going to say that when you burned the sage, you had caught a curtain on fire! And I think you should have cashed that check, make them sweat it out finding you pennies! Welcome to your real retirement! All we do is go back and forth to doctors but I hear other retirees have fun, hope you will. x
Post a Comment