Saturday, January 4, 2020

Snot Nose

You've heard the term "snot nose kid" I'm sure.  Well, I'm not a kid but I've been sporting a snot nose since New Year's Eve.  New Year's Day dawned and I felt like I was hit by a truck.  I took some Dayquil and slogged through a traditional dinner of pork..or in our case, ribs, and sauerkraut  and also throw in some black eyed peas for good luck measure.  We cut my Greek New Year bread..it's called Vasilopita, to see who would get the lucky coin baked inside.  Well, I won that so I hope it does bring good luck!  On New Year's Eve we went to a surprise birthday party for our good friend Greg who's going to be 75 next week. He was truly surprised and we had a nice time but I was ready to head home and to bed. I didn't see the ball drop at midnight, only my eyelids!  Today I finished getting all the Christmas decorations down and put away and the house seems a bit empty.  The weather so far has been warmer than usual but snow is falling tonight.  However, temps in the 30s isn't bad at all.  I'll be happy that next week will be a normal work week with no confusion as to what day it is. I feel like we had more than one Monday for the last 2 weeks!  I'm feeling better and I'm looking forward to starting some indoor projects for this winter.  I hope everyone had a great holiday.  Do you do traditional things that are suppose to bring good luck?
No coins in your bread? 
My real luck might be the extra vitamin C to get the rest of my cold gone! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
 

9 comments:

joeh said...

We visit my wife's family on New Years Day where we get up and down about 30o times to kiss some cousin, Aunt, or Uncle Hello and or good bye. I sit and watch football and chat with wife's Aunt who owns the shore house. She is a great lady and fun to hear her stories even though I have heard them all before.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm so sorry you are still "poorly" as they say on Downton Abbey. Mrs. Shady's daughter has been stricken with laryngitis since before Christmas and can barely speak. Going to that surprise birthday party NYE was a sweet gesture on your part, but being around other people probably set back recovery from your cold. I am happy to know you are starting to feel better, dear friend. I do hope finding that coin in the bread will bring you good fortune in 2020. I just bought a thousand lottery tickets, playing the same number on each one, in hopes of multiplying my chances of winning. :)

This is the time of year when I remind you and the readers about our traditional Epiphany celebration down here at Tarpon Springs, Florida. Tomorrow, Jan. 6, thousands will gather to watch the boys dive into the cold water of the Bayou to retrieve the cross. It is believed that the boy who comes to the surface with the cross will have good luck throughout the year.

https://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com/event/tarpon-springs-epiphany/5414

Get well soon, dear friend YaYa. I wish you and your family a fabulous year!

betty said...

Its the most wonderful time of the year, but it usually comes with illnesses and sicknesses. Sorry it got you this year. Seems like you are doing the best you can to try to feel better! Good for you that you got the coin! May 2020 be a great one for you and your family. I'm sure there will be lots of indoor projects to work on. Looking around my place I see a dozen (painting, reorganizing the kitchen, dusting (LOL), among so many). Just have fun and do what you want when you want and enjoy some down time too!

betty

acorn hollow said...

The colds have been brutal this year. I have had a cough for a couple of months. It is better but not gong. sounds like you had a good new years. I have not taken all of Christmas down yet I just love my tree so it stays up for awhile longer.
Cathy

jack69 said...

HOPE you are feeling better. Never heard of the lucky coin, but sounds like a fun thing. Yep that Vitamin C and as I have heard Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) is good for the cold or what ever ails you.
The best to you sweet lady.
Sherry & jack, enjoying an indoor day here in central Florida.

Stacy Crawford said...

hope you feel better soon. The trouble with snot nosed kids, is I work around a bunch of them. When you work around 3-5 year olds they snot on your literally at least once a week...I hope your vitamin c works. I personally like to drink grape juice.

Z said...

I had a chest infection a month ago that really brought me down for a few weeks. I'm so rarely ill that it was a surprise. I hope you're better now. Traditionally, we put a lucky coin in a Christmas pudding, which is a substantial steamed fruit cake that is doused in brandy and set on fire as it's brought to the table. Though we didn't bother with that this year and I made profiteroles instead. We started with blini, smoked salmon and caviare, went on to a goose - so we had a few countries' traditions this time!

Christina said...

We all have colds, too! There is so much going around. I hope your cold goes away soon. I love the picture in your header. It's so pretty! Happy New Year!

Max D said...

Goood read