Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Book 'Em!

January at the Pines is finally acting like....well...January in Ohio! We have some snow on the ground and a bite in the air. The temps have been seasonal, in the 20's and lower. Our woodstove is humming along and keeping it cozy.  The sun was out today and I find that even if  "Baby It's Cold Outside" is playing in your head, it's still a mood lifter to have that vitamin D.  When I got home from work this afternoon I was happy to see my new blog book arrived.
My last year life in print and photos.  It's the 10th book I have.  This is my 12th year of blogging but my first book contained 2 years of blogging.  I'm more chatty now and can fit one year in a book with no problem!  I enjoy thumbing through it and comparing the months and seeing if I actually did anything great last year.  Nothing earth shattering but good nevertheless.  It's a journal, a diary, a connection with family and friends and my blog friends that I've never met personally but feel like I've known forever.  Many times I've talked about blogging with others and most people say the same thing: "I don't have anything to write about" or "I don't have time for that" or "I wouldn't know how to start something like that".  Since I've been blogging I've noticed that I ask more questions of people about their lives...past or present...and then realize, even if they don't, that they do indeed have something to write about. Everyone has a story, or a life worth remembering.  I know I'm preaching to the choir here since most folks that read my blog are actually bloggers!  So what do we write about?  Here's an example:  Saturday night talent show.  Our church had it's annual talent show and potluck.  I was surprised at the talent that was shared.   It was shared by adults, teens, millennials, and even toddlers.  Of course I have the photos to prove it!
Everyone brings something to share.  You never know what's on the menu but as most church socials go, the homemade food is delicious.   The following acts were pretty good too!
Family acts with tiny comedians
Clarinet players.
Classical pianists...notice there's no music, it's all from memory and was fabulous.
Magic acts that relied on science.
Guitar player who can also sing and make us smile.
Ukulele players and Mom's with littles who sing and dance. There were  many more but some of my  pics just didn't come out very good.  But a big applause to the poetry readers, sign language singer, trombone player that just started playing and his selection was "Hot Cross Buns" played as only a 10yr old can do it!  Oh, and the 3 year old who did somersaults..backwards no less! Something for everyone I guess!  All blog worthy material.  Finally, as I was looking through the pages I noticed a post from last year with Arnie playing in the snow:
I noticed something strange.  His coloring has changed so much in the last year:
Same dog? Yep....maybe a few pounds heavier too! (shhhh...he's sensitive about it) Gone is the brown hair.  Oh well, we love you Arnie no matter your coloring.  So that's what blogging is about to me.  My simple pleasures on paper to enjoy, share, and remember year to year.  Have a blog worthy day tomorrow and don't forget to write about it!


9 comments:

betty said...

Wow, that was amazing to see the color change with Arnie! Looked like such a cute talent show! How fun to participate in it or just watch the acts represented! And of course there are never any calories in potluck meals at church :) Its neat how you put together a book like that on blogging from year to year! I did it with a faith blog I had when I was closing it and it was fun to have the entries in a book form. I might have to do it sometime with my blog, who knows?

betty

acorn hollow said...

I love that you have it printed and I always say I want to do that but yet I never have. Everyone has something to say I love blogging and will continue until I can't any more.
Cathy

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack69 said...

Always a good read and what a great idea, the book. I remember when AOL Journals ceased to exist, they suggested everyone save their journals. I scoffed at the idea, but now I sure wish I had saved those thousands of entries. I THOUGHT AOL journals would be around forever. But not to be.
It is always good to visit your house in the Whispering Pines.

From 50 degrees in Florida,
Sherry and jack
PS: I need a proofer even on comments, LOL

CHERI said...

I've been thinking about doing a book. What company did you use? How expensive is it? I need to get info and think about it. I wouldn't necessarily have to have ALL my posts in a book but the ones about family & friends would be nice. Didn't realize you had been blogging for so many years...good for you! Wish I had started long ago and wish I hadn't taken a break for so long!!!! I hope to keep it up for awhile although I don't have a lot of readers. I enjoy writing and like you use it for memories:)

jmac said...

SO glad I saw this post.....it's time to get my blog off to print as well. Hadn't even thought about till I read this. I, too, have 10 yrs of published books from blog2print and ours also serves as our family diary. My grandchildren LOVE looking thru it and I'm hoping the books will always be a legacy our our lives together!!!

Rick Watson said...

We have a new dog Kodak. He's less than a year old and he had so much energy he's driving us and the other adult dogs crazy. Since we had him tutored, he's doing a little better, but he still has a long way to go.
I think if we ever get another dog, we will follow your lead and get an older dog and make his/her remaining years some of the best of their lives.

Kathy said...

I blog for all the same reasons you do. I've thought about making my blog into a yearly book, but I don't know how to do that. I use my blog all the time to refer back to. I find dates of things, see who was at certain events, and sometimes just read to see what I was doing and thinking several years ago. I keep saying I'm going to quit, but I probably never will.

Susan Kane said...

This is inspiring. I see how you have gone with this. And I will also head down that road!