Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Just Eggcellent!

You may be thinking that this post will be about eggs.  Eggs...the perfect food...eggcept if you're me and can't eat them.  No, I'm not really allergic.  I just have an intolerance to them. I get all over joint pain when I eat them.  Sound weird?  Well, that's me..weird! Anyway, I may not eat them but I use them in baking and I've found that the ones that come fresh from the chicken, not the grocery store, bake much nicer baked goods.  We don't have chickens here at the Pines.  The thought has occurred to us to raise them but I know I don't have the desire to do that at this time.  My neighbors have them and l know the fox that lives in the Creepy Woods enjoys a fresh chicken dinner once in a while!  So what makes me think about writing a post about eggs?  Well, Jack came home from work last week and brought a dozen fresh eggs that one of his patients left for him.  Yes, he's the kind of Doc that gets fresh eggs, sometimes meat, and other items from his patients! I reread that line and it sounds like his patient laid the eggs herself! Ha! NO...her chickens did!  Anyway, when I opened the carton I was eggcited to see what color they would be.  The dozen we had previously were pretty shades of blue, brown, tan, and green.  This batch was all green!  I said, "Holy Cow! Green eggs! All we need is some ham!"  (You know, Green Eggs and Ham...Dr. Suess?) I also said it would be a blog worthy moment.  Jack suggested I go to our freezer and grab a ham and take a pic. While writing this I had no get up and go to get up and go to the freezer in garage for the ham.  So here's the eggs:
Wait!!! Where's the green eggs?  I took multiple pics and could not get a shot that showed the actual color...a pale green...of these cuties.  I guess you'll just have to believe me when I say they are green. So that's my eggstraordinary post for this night.  The only other news from the Pines is the eggceptional weather we have been having.  Temps in the 50's and 60's in mid January. I write this so next year I can look back and see how the weather compares to January, 2021.  Weird? Yep, that's me again! Remember my shoes from the previous post? Well, they were not comfy so back they went.  I guess I'll just have to walk on egg shells until I find the perfect fit.  I hope everyone has a good week, not one that's scrambled, hard boiled, fried, or cracked.  I wish you only, soft boiled, over easy and very sunny side up...and that's no Yoke! 


8 comments:

betty said...

Now I want an egg :) What a cute eggy post! I could see the color of the eggs being green, how interesting. Do we know why eggs are different colors? Depends on the type of chicken that lays them?? Let's hope you don't get egged the next time you drive off some place :)

betty

joeh said...

I've heard from a fellow blogger that fresh eggs don't peal well when hard boiled...not as if you care because you can't eat them anyway...just found it interesting.

I see a tinge of green in those eggs.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Shady! Oops, I'm Shady - you're YaYa (BA-DUM-BUMP) - but your egg puns are hard to beat. (BA-DUM-BUMP) It's interesting that patients bring Jack all sorts of food items. May I assume they don't pay him only with food for services rendered? Learning to accept that form of payment would require an adjustment. (BA-DUM-DUMP) I can see the green tint in those egg shells. Here's an idea. Leave them sit out on your counter until St. Patrick's day and then crack them open and dump them in your green beer. I'm sure you'll be green around the gills if you follow that advice.

Winter needs to get its act together or else you will be lamenting the absence of snow-based fun at The Pines. As much as people up north complain about the snow every winter, I'm sure they would miss it if they were stuck in Florida as I have been these last 35+ years.

I hope your nasty cold is a distant, fading memory, dear friend YaYa, Enjoy the rest of your week!

acorn hollow said...

I love fresh eggs we buy them from the little farm down the road and yes they make everything baked better!
Cathy

jack69 said...

OH SHUCKS, I do feel sorry for you not being able to eat eggs. They are one of my favorite foods. I like to think of fresh eggs when I used to gather them a a kid. It was nice to see your Jack in this light, SWEET. I have heard of chickens that lay 'Easter Eggs', I don't think I have seen them.
Always enjoy the visit to the Whispering Pines, this was a little special.
Love from Deltonta,
Sherry & jack

gin said...

This is a great post. Yes I can see they are green. We have no chickens either, but get fresh eggs from 2 of our kids who have chickens. They name their chickens such cute names, both kids have a chicken with blonde/gold feathers named after me, chicken ginger we call them, one named a chicken ms gail after they sweet neighbor, and one chicken is named Beyoncé which is a huge fluffy shinny black chicken which is she is gorgeous for a chicken. The chickens are a fun and learning experience for the grandkids , they sell their eggs for $1 a carton and have the best time gathering eggs and observe the hatching baby chicks in the spring. So we don’t actually need chickens since we get all the benefits from a chicken without the work.

Susan Zarzycki said...

Too funny! I have always wanted some chickens/hens but we have raccoons, foxes, and other critters and I would be heartbroken if you know what happened to them!

CHERI said...

Girl, I sure got a laugh out of your "eggcelent" post:) My SIL and two of her three daughters have chickens. My SIL is a caterer and she uses the eggs in all her cooking & baking. A down-the-street neighbor did have the most awesome kinds of chickens that laid all different colored eggs. She recently got rid of all the chickens because she said her husband complained too much about them:( Those were the cutest chickens you can imagine...and she had given all of them names. She named one Rod Stewart because he had such wild plummage on top of his head...lol!!!! My granddaughter would sometimes go visit just to see the chickens!!! You ought to get some!!! If I lived in the country I think I would want some.