Saturday, February 1, 2020

Fabulous February..Welcome!

So long January. You weren't a bad month weather wise but moving into a new month just brings us a bit closer to Spring.  Hello February! Not as short as usual since it's Leap Year.  One free day to spend as you wish.  Jack and I are thinking about taking that free day and going to Florida for a quick 4 day weekend since my birthday is the 28th.  It's still in the talking stage of planning. I think it's the drab weather we've had.  Not much in the way of snow or even very cold, just darn grey all the time.  The weather gurus said we've had over 20 cloudy days in January.  That's bound to get to you even if you're like me and don't get depressed when it's dark and dreary!
Friday the sun was trying to peek out  in the cloud cover...can you spy it up there? That tiny orb of white?  Anyway, on Friday night a group of my co-workers wanted to get together and listen to a band that was playing at a local eatery called: Union Town Brewery. (Ashland was originally called "Union Town" but had to change it's name because there was another Union Town and the post office made them change it. So it was changed to "Ashland' back in the 1800's) Jack and I don't drink but we heard the food was pretty good and we met up with these gals:
See my BFF Donna?  Her broken leg has healed but she's retired now and I miss seeing her at the hospital.  I was glad she came out to join us! 
This is the outside of the brewery...yes, it says Gilbert Furniture. That store was in Ashland for 175 years before having to close it's doors.  It had a few other businesses in there for a short while but it was great to see a successful restaurant go in there and keep the history of the building intact. And pretty cute that they used the original name of our town for their business. They give tours of the basement brewing process but not a busy Friday night.  The band was good but loud! The food was really good  and the company even better. We had a fun time with them and some other coworkers who showed up later.
I was trying to get a pic of the inside and Jack was trying to get out of the way! I love the tin ceiling tiles! If you're ever in Ashland you need to stop by! The outside of the brewery also has this cute alley way that's nice in the summer but still pretty in the winter:
We'll have to go when the weather allows for outdoor dining!  Today was filled with the usual Saturday grocery shopping and errands.  A lot of my friends and family use the grocery pick-up service.  I know it's a convenience for many but I think it's good to walk around and get some exercise while doing the shopping and even connecting with folks instead of just on the cell phone. But to each their own and it's nice to know there's a service available to use if I would need it. I was really happy to see a bit of blue sky today:
I knew it was still up there! We had a few more things on the agenda today.  A quick stop for a friends 55th surprise birthday party..
And then it was off to watch some high school b-ball.  Sitting in the bleachers always brings back memories of our boys playing and watching a grandson play is fun...although he hasn't gotten tons of playing time this year, we enjoyed the game and he did get in for a bit.
Sorry it's blurry, but I didn't have the camera turned to "action" shots!
Congrats to the team for winning tonight! Well, that's all I have for the start of a new month. Tomorrow is Ground Hog Day.  I don't get why we have that "holiday".  I guess it gives folks something to write about in blogs.  No matter if that rodent sees a shadow or not, I'm guessing we're in for 6 more weeks of Winter.  So enjoy your Sunday and if Ground hogs aren't your thing, enjoy the Super Bowl! 


6 comments:

betty said...

I like it when buildings get re-purposed; so it is good that the brewery took over where the furniture store used to be :) Sounded like a fun evening with friends! 20 dreary days! Nope, couldn't take that!! Hoping February is a bit more sunny! I say go for your 4 day adventure later this month; good thing to celebrate the leap year and your birthday! Congrats to your grandson's team on their win! Its always fun to watch youth sports! They give their all in the games!

I too don't get the whole groundhog thing either. Someone was great with getting in promoting it and look what it does to that town in Pennsylvania!

betty

jack69 said...

Good entry. I like the sign still hanging, I do hate to see landmarks drop to progress, but it is good to see the 'signs of the times' that stick around as a reminder. You took us a long, thanks. It is nice to spend time with friends 'away from work'. Your Jack is looking good.
From South CArolina,
Sherry & jack

jack69 said...

PS: I love the graphic just beside and above Jack, 'Chief of Medical Staff'.

CHERI said...

I'm sorry you've had so many gray days in your neck of the woods. We have had some but this has been an extremely mild winter here. In fact, it's been rather crazy! It will be in the 40s one day and the next in the 70s! We've even actually had some winter days in the low 80s!!! Can you believe it??? My granddaughter and I like winter...we say our winter clothes are "cuter":) She and I both love our sweaters and our boots and I love my scarves. Plus the summer here gets so danged hot it's hard to enjoy it...plus the pesky gnats!!! I agree with you about Groundhog Day...I mean what the groundhog "sees" really depends on what part of the country you live in, right? My prediction is that spring will come when the good Lord decides it's time for it:)

gin said...

Ohhh yes, go to Florida for a get-away! We go at least once a year, I would go more if I had it my way. I love the beach, sand, sun, the food, and everything. Your night out with friends looked fun!

Lisa said...

I love repurposed old buildings. Brewery's do seem to have good food!
Lisa