Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A Person By Any Other Name...

We're required to do a lot of education at work.  The medical field is always changing and requiring many "mandatory" inservice  requirements.  We do a lot of this online.  If I could go to a computer daily I might actually catch up on all I have to do but usually I'm scrubbed in all day.  However, this month has been a bit slow so I hit the computer area and sat down to be educated on yet more info than I'll ever remember.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to learn more about people.  In our society we have male and female people.  Transgender people.  No gender people.  Gender neutral people. Nonbinary gender nonconforming people.  Cis-male people. Cis-female people. (and even people from Indiana) Then there's the pronouns for people...she/her/herself....well, you get the picture..oh wait..the gender neutral are: zhe, zhim, zher, etc.  Confused? Maybe you're not. I was and frankly still am confused.  When I got to this part in my reading I had to go back to the OR but I snapped a pic that might help you understand my plight.
Yes, it's the "Genderbread Person".   I'll look forward to the rest of this story.  I guess my thought on all of this is it doesn't matter to me how you identify yourself.  I know it matters to you and I've never met or worked with any surgical person that doesn't respect that.  But mostly we care about how best to take care of you. If you were a woman but you're now a man that's fine but did you know if you have a colonoscopy that even though you're now male, your insides are still female and you need a female colonscope? (yes, here gender does matter since male scopes are bigger...sorry guys) We don't care if you're overweight, a smoker, an alcoholic, drug addict, any race, or religion, or just a super jerk.  We always greet you with a HI and a promise that we will take good care of you and be with you the whole time of your surgery.  I've only heard the nurse, doctor, technician, use your name.  I hope that's OK.  I may need to know all this other stuff for some reason.  Not sure how I got through over 40 years in the operating room before knowing this, but this I do know:  A person by any other name is still a person...someone who needs help, someone who's probably very nervous about being in the hospital, someone who's somebody's family member or friend.  And people, that matters the most.  Amen

7 comments:

joeh said...


It's way too complicated for me. I know I don't understand it, and I know it is not important for me to understand. I don't judge. I do think that all these choices for a hormonal, confused, person must be scary. Especially when the choices are irreversible.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I like the way you handled this post, dear friend. The world continues to grow more complex and difficult to understand. We should take every opportunity to educate ourselves and stay current. Now more than ever before you can't judge a book by its cover. Give respect and you will receive it. All that matters is that we love each other and do our best to help one another. I applaud you for your professionalism on the job, your dedication to serving people of all kinds who are in need.

Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

betty said...

It sure is a different world than from when I was much younger! I keep telling my husband the defining thing in our world these days is this whole thing with gender and all the different things associated with it.

On another note, isn't compliance training/education wonderful? (At least you get paid for it right?)

betty

acorn hollow said...

respect and the correct colon scope
Amen
Cathy

jack69 said...

I am 81 now and you have to mention the size of the colonoscope. I imagine soon I will experience this, so I am guessing that the colonoscopy is in the operating room? Just maybe I will get lost on the way!!!! BUT, but I do appreciate professional attitudes on anyone in that atmosphere. So I agree with old Shady above.
Love to you who work for our best interests of our person.
Sherry & jack

Prims By The Water said...

I have the utmost respect for all nurses. I know I would never be able to stand on my feet all day and do what you need to do to take care of patients. I will never understand all of the gender differences there are now..its all too complicated for me. Good luck with that. Janice

Kay G. said...

I want someone like you for my nurse, you are so caring!!