Sunday, January 27, 2019

I'm A Drama Queen

This past week was interesting.  It was tiring.  It was frustrating.  It was out of my comfort zone.   The hospital's endoscopy unit is in a building not near our hospital.  It's always been staffed with nurses that enjoy that work.  After the big corporation took us over, rules changed and staffing changed and all of the employees there quit except for one.  So now the operating room staff has to go there and work when needed,..which is every day.  Not having to do those types of cases, colonoscopies and EGDs, we have to train on how to do them and use the equipment.  I started my training last week and will continue this week.  Then it's somebody else's turn.  This old dog is not against learning some new tricks.  I've learned to recognize the inside of the colon.  I can tell where the scope is by how the colon looks.  Usually I see bowels from the outside in and so this was new.  Anyway, it's a long day there with no breaks or lunch and a "get it done" attitude. Fine. On Friday I was needed back in the OR and it was one of the most frustrating days I've had in a long time.  When I got out of work I noticed a nice dent in my van door.  That just did me in.  I came in the house and Jack was sitting there and I just started crying. What a crappy day! He was a  little taken back since that's not how I usually react.  I'm mostly a get it all out of my system and move on.  Poor guy.  He quietly said: "I think I'll just go outside for a bit".  The nurse who was with me on our cases actually hit the bar at the Elks club before heading for home. I'm not a drinker at all but boy I totally understood!  Anyway, this drama queen is over it and will start a new week tomorrow.  I'm sure Jack will hold his breath every time I come in the door!  So here's my past week in pics:
Here's my "heading back into some body's colon" look.
Full moon night...so eerie! Hmmm..that could explain some of the craziness this week!
I'm not sure what's happening here. It didn't look like this from my naked eye but the camera picked it up...paranormal?  Notice the full moon at the top? I was trying to get a good pick of the wolf moon that night but I need more lessons with my camera to achieve that.  Today, on a lighter note, Jack and I and some of our Grandkiddos and Jackie and Evelyn went to see "The Wizard of Oz" on the big screen.  It's the 80th year anniversary and Turner Classic Movies ran the film at the theater.  I'm sure most folks have seen the Wizard of Oz a million times on TV but it was really fun to watch it at the theater.
Rae, Lexi, Cameron, and me! It's Rae's favorite movie and she was having a ball watching it and quietly singing all the songs and swaying to the music! Fun day.  Afterwards everyone came back to our house and had some homemade lasagna:
And strawberry shortcake.  It was a great way to end the weekend. Hopefully you have had a good weekend too.  Drama Queen signing off.

9 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I don't consider you a drama queen, dear friend, and I take my hat off to you. I don't want anything to do with colons unless they are like the one at the end of this sentence: :) I can understand how learning new procedures plus handling your regular responsibilities could be very tiring and push you and your colleagues out of your comfort zone. To top if off somebody dented your van door. What a Freaky Friday you had! Hang in there, YaYa. When you are learning a new skill, it's slow and go at first, but you will soon get in a groove and be able to accomplish more in the same period of time. It will become routine.

Those two pictures you took on full moon night are eerie. In the second photo it looks like sheets of fine snow granules were picked up by the wind and the light reflected off them as you snapped the picture.

I'm glad you and the grandkiddos went to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen. With its brilliant sound and picture restoration, I'll bet it looked as fresh as a 2018 film. It's great to see the smiles on the faces of Rae Rae, Lex, Cam and you. I agree that strawberry shortcake is a great way to end a weekend. I wish you a safe, happy and much better week ahead, dear friend YaYa!

joeh said...

Better days on the way...The lasagna looks good!

betty said...

I just can't believe the Wizard of Oz is 80 years old! Such a favorite to watch yearly when it was on TV. A classic like Gone in the Wind. Working with no lunch break would be hard. A person needs to get away even for a little bit to regroup especially with working with that part of the body. Its a necessary "evil" to be screened but having typed thousands of reports of colonoscopies I wonder why anyone would choose that particular specialty. Yum on the lasagna! Always a favorite and usually always delicious! May next week be kinder to you or perhaps hitting the bar maybe a good thing to pursue (or something equivalent)

betty

acorn hollow said...

There is nothing worse than be frustrated at work and your work is very important.
I know my sister in law a nurse in the operating room for years said last year that is it I retire. She just could not take the new way of doing things like a robot she said.
good luck this week
Cathy

Rick Watson said...

That sounds like a brutal week. The hospitals around here are going through changes too. Even where Jilda works changed when a big Corp bought them out.
I think there was a horned demon in that moon pic. He was probably the one that dinged you van :)

Julia said...

Oh dear Yaya, you did had a bad week. I don't like changes either. Even though you are doing the endoscopy, your stomach should have food in it. Those big corporations are not for the best, they are for making a profit. They don't treat people as persons but robots...

I remember when the hospital was run by caring people, not tired zombies. Now, it not enough doctors and overwork staff because of cutbacks. A risky place to go to get well. So sorry about the dent in your van door, parking lot dents are so annoying... I drink wine and Jesus did too. Here we are not allowed to have even one little drink and drive since they legalized cannabis. It's zero tolerence. So people have to stay home to get drunk, lol...

At least, you got to see the wolf blood moon. Our sky was overcast with a big snowstorm. I think you took a picture of your own breath, a kind of endoscopy from the outside if you will.

I hope that this week goes better for you. Take care. Hugs, Julia

Gin said...

You have to be a drama queen once in a while! You had so much going on. That moon picture is awesome. I would love an interpretation from an expert on it. It’s Definitely out of the ordinary. And so was your week out of the ordinary.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Talk about getting the "crap" end of the stick! I'm so very sorry, I just had to.

But seriously, your ability to do a job like that is taken for granted. You probably think it's no big deal, but you nurses amaze me! No matter what type of nursing you do, that's a tough job, rewarding I'm sure, but very hard. Kudos to you! And hugs after a tough week.
I hope this one is much smoother.

Andrea

Kay G. said...

I want to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen too! I saw that they were doing that but I'm afraid the theaters are a bit too far for me to get to, these days. I LOVE that movie, and of course, I know it by heart.
You are much sweeter than I am...I fuss about things on a DAILY basis! LOL! Take care, and hang in there!