Saturday, January 5, 2019

New Year Nothingness

Contrary to what my header pic shows, we've had no snow to brag about yet.  In fact, today and yesterday were so beautiful. Sunny and 50 degrees of loveliness! Arnie and I had some nice walks, or I should say, strolls.  He's made for comfort, not speed in the dog world! But it sure was nice to get all the outside decorations down without freezing to death. Our inside decorations are down too, except for the tree. That will happen tomorrow.  Then, as my Granddaughter Lexi says, "Everything seems so empty when the Christmas decorations are gone."  I like to think of it as a blank slate...time to clean and get on with the new year.  Speaking of a clean slate...Ashland has been working on revitalizing our downtown area. Sometimes that calls for taking down old, run down buildings that are too hazardous to repair. After removing one of those buildings, some old advertising signs were found on the brick wall of the adjoining building.
Anyone remember 5 and 10 cent stores?  The real interest was the SELZ Royal Blue Shoes...I guess Queen Elizabeth bought shoes from them.  Heck, at $3.20 , so would I!  I think someone should write her and ask to send the pair back for the Historical Society museum. Just a suggestion.  On another note,  totally not relevant to anything, how are gas prices in your town?
I took this shot a few days before it actually went down to $1.78 in some places. Of course that only happens when I have a full tank of gas.  Still, it was kind of exciting anyway.  So I'll end this little post with a few shots of the day:
The creepy woods looks like a wasteland.  It was nice to take a walk up there but I didn't really find anything too interesting.
Can you see my neighbor's barn in this shot?
How about this lonely dude with his stalker wife and her camera heading back to the homestead? That's the most interesting thing today! Like the title says: New Year Nothingness! Have a good week!

7 comments:

joeh said...

Interesting old sign for sure.

No snow in Jersey, 40-50 degrees and this is usually our coldest week of winter.

Julia said...

I remember those 5 and 10 stores. Those were the days. Our downtown has been revitalized but it's an on going thing. I remember when the downtown was so busy with big department stores, then it went dead. This was due to shopping malls being everywhere with lots of free parking. The downtown is busy again but no departments stores. Everything is changing and big box stores are popping up in new shopping centers again with free parking. I wonder where people put all the stuff they buy.

We have some snow and a few snow flurries tonight.

Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs, Julia

betty said...

I do remember Woolworth's 5 and Dime store. Loved it in my youth. Its nice that they are trying to revitalize the downtown where you live. Its a shame when the buildings go to disrepair especially those that have lots of history associated with them. I think we were colder than you this past week when we had some days in the mid 40s as our high. Just about froze, LOL :)

Happy New Year!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Just as the hit TV series Seinfeld was proud to be called "a show about nothing," this "nothingness" post of yours is quite interesting. For one thing, your new camera is taking marvelous pictures that enhance your posts. York had "5 and 10s," as we called them, and my mother used to take me shopping in them when I was a boy. While there we would usually stop at the soda fountain for an ice cream soda or milkshake. I hope Ashland preserves those colorful, nostalgic adverts painted on the side of the building and I hope the graffiti artists show respect and stay away from it.

The gas prices are just under $2 in our vicinity. When my big brother started working at the Flying A station in the mid 50s, gas prices were (according to the internet) 29 cents a gallon but, in today's dollars, that amounts to $1.76, close to the current price in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for taking pics in the Creepy Woods. Weren't you tempted to follow the trail of Yeti droppings? It is nice to see The Pines homestead from a distance and from that vantage point there in the woods.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a super week ahead, dear friend YaYa!

Rick Watson said...

Wow! Y’all live in the sticks too :)

acorn hollow said...

nothingness is a good thing sometimes I would love to have that right now.
happy New year
Cathy

Tanza Erlambang said...

aww..snow...so cold.
have a great day