Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Yearly Trek

 Friday Jack and I headed out to Chicago for our annual Arends family Christmas gathering.  Jordan stayed home with Annabelle.  Jord got covid the week before and was back to work but still not feeling great.  I was grateful that he took care of Annabelle for us. My sister has a new puppy and I felt that it would be best not to add a 3rd dog to the mix!  We enjoyed seeing sweet Hope and Flynn the pup is doing well with training and getting along with Hope.

Miss Hope turned 3 on Sunday.  She's such a good dog and companion for Midge.
Welcome Flynn!  He's doing great on being house broke and can already sit on command. He's a mini doodle.
Gotta love that face!  We had a good time with family and the annual party was a hit.  There weren't as many family members there this year and we missed seeing them all.  But those that did make it had fun and certainly didn't leave hungry!
Getting the appetizers ready is my niece Amy. Her brother, Bill is keeping a close eye! There's my nephew Patrick who left warm Florida to gather with us.  Luckily we weren't too cold but we did have lots of rain.  Didn't slow us down any!

My niece Katie and her hubby Blake always host as they have the biggest house and she decorates it so pretty and has a couple of trees to bring in the Christmas spirit.
After dinner we gather around the tree to have our white elephant gift exchange.  We don't really give white elephants!  It's just a game where we bring a silly gift that gets exchanged after we choose numbers to see what order we go in.  You don't know what your getting. Sometimes  it's something nice and sometimes it's a clunker!  We all get a good laugh when someone gets a clunker that's been passed along every Christmas.  I got lottery tickets this year!  Of course I had to trade around to score them but all's fair in this game!  Unfortunately, I only won $8 but hey, I'm willing to share!
It can get a bit crazy!
My Great Nephew, Connor, was having fun!
My brother Rick checking out the loot he won.  I think it was good?
I'm not sure Amy liked the popcorn things but her son Parker was good with it.  Soon it was time to put the cap on another family gathering.  I still miss having my Mom and brother Greg there to join in the evening.  They are truly missed this time of year and always. We spent the next day with my sister and had fun and lots of laughs with her.  She's doing well and is getting ready to be able to have her dialysis at home.
Here she is with her Grandkids, Connor and Ella.  Monday morning we packed up and headed for home.  The weather turned colder and that meant snow on the drive back.
If you zoom in you can read the sign warning of snow covered roads and to slow it down.  It was very windy and a little bit of a white out near the snow belt of South Bend, Indiana.
When we hit the Ohio line the sun came out and the snow stopped.  At least for most of the ride.  Closer to home we did have some more snow but made it back safe and sound with good memories and the task of getting the final days before Christmas wrapped up here at the Pines.
Tuesday found us with a little snow on the ground and they had cancelled school.  Seriously? I didn't think it was that bad but I guess we were under a level one snow emergency.  I made it to work just fine and I took this shot after getting Annabelle out for a walk.  She was super happy to have us home!  To end this post I'll show the gift my sister gave me.
It's a "pawjamma" shirt!  Too funny!  Well, the big day will be here soon.  I know many of my blog buddies are ready and waiting and already celebrating.  We've had a really nice December so far.  It's going to be a warmish Christmas here as the temps will be in the 50's by Christmas.  I'm OK with that and it won't stop us from feeling the spirit of this season!


6 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

It looks and sounds like a fun and festive family get-together. I'm glad to hear that you didn't encounter any truly bad weather on your travels. I assume there was more snow than that to warrant canceling schools. Yikes. It takes quite a bit in these parts to call a snow day. We have very, very, little snow on the ground at this point. Although we had had several rounds already with accumulating, staying, snow, most has gone with the moderate temps we've had during the day. I'm ok with that too as I still haven't managed to get the one boiler replaced and it is a challenge keeping the temperature high enough with space heaters so the in-floor heating system isn't ruined completely. I'm also afraid of what Mother Nature will hit us with to compensate in the winter months ahead. Wishing you a blessed and happy Christmas. ~Robin~

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I am returning to the blog world with a new post starting tomorrow, dear friend, and I thought I'd come over and see you a day early while your Christmas report is still fresh and hot from the oven. It does my heart good to see that you and Jack made the trip to Chicago to see Midge and other family members back in your old home town. I'm sorry to learn that Jord came down with the COVID bug. Hope he is feeling better hour by hour. It was nice of him to watch my sweetie Annabelle while you were away.

Hooray and happy b-day to Hope dog and welcome to the family, pup Flynn! I wish I were there to smooch both of their cute faces! Great to see other members of the family gathered to share food and holiday cheer. Based on those pictures of their Christmas trees, it looks like Katie and Blake have a large and beautiful house with vaulted ceilings. Mrs. Shady's family introduced me to the joys of White Elephant gift exchanges many years ago. The gag presents that resurface every year give us many laughs. Do your family's White Elephant clunkers include a plush stuffed Yeti? :)

I'm delighted to know that Midge is doing so well. Bless her heart! To me, she always looks fit as a fiddle. I know how you miss your dear mother and brother Greg, especially when the holidays roll around. I'm glad you and Jack didn't have to navigate through a major snowstorm on the way home. I can picture Annabelle dancing a jig when you walked through the door at The Pines. That Pawjamma shirt is simply wonderful! I can't think of a more thoughtful present.

May you and your family have a blessed Christmas. I hope to see you again in the coming days as I present my final post of 2023. Take good care of yourself and happy holidays, dear friend YaYa!

jack69 said...

We love the odea of family gathering times, they have just [passed us by, so many other things to take the families times. But we do remember them with smiles. Your get together looks like the traditional times for us. Lots of Memories. Closing school with little snow? Sounds like the South. LOL
Merry Christmas to all.. Hugs to Brother Jack...

acorn hollow said...

You always have the nicest gatherings. Your sister looks good.
The present she gave you is so sweet.
Glad you made the trip there and back safe and sound.
Merry Christmas
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a wonderful family gathering! Merry Christmas and happy new year to all of you!

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing your Christmas family gatherings again with us. We also have a Christmas family gathering every year up home at the beginning of December but I couldn't go this year and I missed it.

I'm glad that you made the trip to and fro safely. Travelling in winter is so unpredictable lately.

I love your Pawjamas. It's very special.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Hugs, Julia