Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Day Or Easter?

 With beautiful sunshine and temps in the 60's the gang that gathered for Christmas celebrating thought we should have had an Easter egg hunt to match this weather!  It's been a busy and tiring weekend as I wrapped up the Christmas shopping and also the Christmas gift wrapping.  Throw in the food prep and getting the house ready there was no hope to get that "long winter's nap"!   It was all hands on deck and we got it done in the usual YaYa and PawPaw fashion.   We only had one snafu with the food. A little mishap with the mac 'n cheese but all else was good!  The kids came in one by one at one.  After some appetizers to keep our strength up we headed into the living room for the gift exchanges.  

The kitchen was rearranged with a longer table to fit the crowd.  We had a few that had to cancel because of illness.  Our son Phil was hit hard yesterday with what appears to be Covid.  Also my daughter-in-law Evelyn had her oldest daughter's family out also with Covid.  That includes their 2mo old baby. When our oldest son Jack was leaving for home today he said he suddenly felt ill.  He's the one holding the red cup in the pic.  I'll keep praying for quick recovery for all and that we don't get it!  Even our son in Oregon is ill today.  Tis the season.
The gang starting to pick a seat and get the unwrapping started!  It seemed everyone enjoyed their gifts and I don't think any will be returned!  After this was it was time for food and fun. 
Granddaughter Summer with her constant companion, Happy.  I know I usually grab some pics of the food but I was a slacker today!  I did get some  pics of the desserts.
Baklava anyone?
Some of my homemade cutouts perhaps?  I also made a pecan pie, pumpkin chiffon pie, and dirty dessert.  Most of the desserts went home in containers as we were stuffed from dinner.  We played our saran wrap game later and along with the gifts inside the wrap there were lottery tickets and again this year only a few $1 or $2 winners.  It was fun anyway!  Soon it was time for everyone to head for home.  I did manage to grab some photos of some of the kids.
Summer and Mandy had some interesting outfits!
Mandy, Jack, Evelyn and Megan
Cameron. I didn't get a pic of his older brother, Anthony.  Anthony had to leave earlier for work.  He escaped the lens of YaYa!
Rae, (in blue), older sis Lexi and little sis Aria.  We sure missed Phil and we made sure to send home a nice selection of food for him.  Hopefully he'll feel like eating it and will be able to taste it!
Evelyn's daughter Megan and her hubby Landen.
Lexi giving Annabelle some love!
Family portrait?  Yikes!  We said goodbye to everyone and then got the house back in order.  Sometime during the evening the rains came.  That didn't stop us from our annual drive to see the decorations around Ashland.  Most of my photos came out bad as trying to snap a pic with the moving car and rain made it a mess.  But here's a few anyway.
The town Nativity.
The downtown.
The town Christmas tree.  
Ho Ho Ho!
A few lights at Whispering Pines.  It was a lovely Christmas for us and I was very grateful for the blessing of seeing family, enjoying the sounds and tastes of the season and also remembering the real reason we celebrate.
As we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I know this time of year can be a stressful and not always a happy time for many.  I wish we could take away all the pain and suffering in the world.  We can't make it all go away but He can help us get through the tough times if we let Him. I hope everyone has had a joyous day today and prayers that the coming days will be better for those didn't.  God bless us everyone.  Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing your Christmas with us, Yaya. It looks like a wonderful family gathering again. I wish a speedy recovery to all your family members who are sick with Covid.

My daughter in town is just getting over Covid and it was a very low-key but peaceful Christmas celebration today at our house, but we had our delicious traditional Christmas turkey dinner with all the trimmings, with only my son, husband, and myself. We all filled up our bellies.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, good health, peace, love, joy and hope.
Hugs,
Julia ❤️

Prims By The Water said...

I agree it felt more like Easter here too. I hope you had a wonderful magical Christmas even if we had no snow this year. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Merriest of Christmas wishes to you Kathy. You put together another amazing family celebration. Sorry to hear about all the illnesses and hoping everyone recovers quickly...and you escape the contagions. Ahhh...that baklava!!! It's been years since I've had any but I think I'd trade even that for some spanakopita. ;-) I cannot believe that after all that prep, celebrating and cleanup you had the energy to go for a drive to look at lights. Yikes. You make me feel like such a slacker. ~Robin~ (PS...your cutouts are stunning!)

dstarkey7 said...

Baklava mmmm! Chelsea made ours this year and did a nice job of it.
You're sick family members shows that Covid isnt gone yet! At least it seems not quite so powerful. Hope all are well soon. Hope the new year bring health,and happiness!

Susan Kane said...

Such a great celebration! Your desserts are crazy delicious. Baklava!