Sunday, December 31, 2023

Memories of '23

 Soon shouts, whistles, fireworks and other manner of celebration will be heard all over the world.  Some places are already in 2024 while we still have a few hours of 123123.   I hope you're having a good-bye planned in your own way.  I seldom stay awake until midnight but I just might make it this year.  (I took a nap this afternoon!)   As I look back on 2023 I'm grateful that we made it through without any big drama, health issues, financial problems, or the loss of any family members.  A bit different than the last few years.  We accomplished a few projects and have plans for some new ones in '24.  We managed a couple of trips and visits with family members.  I continued to work and hopefully will do so this coming year.  I like being able to make my own schedule with no call or weekends or holidays.   As always, time will tell. I'm not getting any younger.  I guess you could say that I'm the youngest I'll ever be right at this moment.  I'm going to pray for a good year ahead.  I'm going to pray for my family and friends for their year ahead. I know challenges come in many forms and I pray what ever the Lord sends our way we can handle it.  In short...I'm going to pray each day!  I have my motto for this new year.  It's: "LESS IS MORE IN '24".   What does that mean?  How about less spending, less accumulating "things", less complaining, less procrastinating, less eating, less sitting.  Hopefully it will help with more: saving, downsizing, happiness, getting projects completed, more health, more stamina, and perhaps a bit more blogging than this year. Happy New Year everyone! Here's a few pics from '23 that made our year a good one.

January:

Sister bonding when Midge made a surprise visit.

Feb:

I turned the big 70!  Don't I look surprised?!

March:

A visit to Chicago to spend my sister's birthday with her and her family.
April:

Spring arrived with a Happy Easter!
May:
We were able to go to our Temple's open house.  The Columbus, Ohio Temple had been closed for renovations for 3 years! It's been great to have it back!
June:
A trip to Portland, Oregon to see our Grandson, Taylor, graduate.  He's now a freshman at BYU Idaho and doing great!
July:
A friend reunion with former members of our church! A really fun time to gather and reminisce. We're planning another one for July 2024.
August:
A beautiful day and picnic at Lake Erie at one of Jack's high school classmates Summer home and many of his high school friends.  They meet once a month for lunch. About 30 or more show up and I tag along too! This was a perfect day!
September:

A new paint job for the living room and a beautiful trip to Michigan! 
The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island
My handsome hubby in a rare beach shot! He's not super fond of the beach. He burns easily!
October:
Celebrating the Fall season at the Pines
Decorating the Freer house for the Historical Society.
My nieces Amy and Katie at our annual Halloween gathering!  We all love October!
November:

Family gathering for Thanksgiving.  I'm so thankful for my many blessing but mostly for my wonderful family!
December:
The tree my friends and I decorated at the Freer house for the Historical Society's Christmas open house. We won the contest for the most votes for the best tree this year! Whoo hoo!
Our now functioning fireplaces make it a cozy place to sit and enjoy!
Our Hallmark town's new "Candy Cane Trail" that was a fun place to walk and enjoy the music and lights of the season.  Each month had it's own beauty and moments to remember. Time flies by so quickly and I can't believe this year is over in just a few moments.  All these pics will be in my book for this year and I apologize for all of them in this post.  I hope everyone has a healthy and safe new year and I'll be back in '24 for my 16th blogging year!
Happy New Year!!


7 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya! I love your motto for the new year. So true! May you and yours have a happy and healthy new year. See you again soon!

jack69 said...

Ah ha, even New years come around no matter your age. But they get more dear as you age, knowing there are less to enjoy. BUT it doesn't change the feelings of something NEW and exciting. Enjoyed the shots from the year, especially your surprise and Jack's beach pic.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS....

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy New Year Kathy! Great idea to sum each month up with a photo or two and brief summary. You live a much more adventurous life than I do. You truly are blessed with all your family and friends and taking the time to cherish and celebrate them. Looking forward to your 17th year.... ~Robin~

Susan Kane said...

Happy New Year! I loved how your photos show the story of last year. Our own NYeve was quiet and we talked about this past year. Whew. We got through it. Keep well.

jack69 said...

PS: Just stopped back by to look a the pics again and read the comments.

Julia said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, dear Yaya. 2023 came and is gone now but you keep it alive with your year-in-review photos. Wow, it's hard to believe that you are working on 17 years of blogging. I'm finding it challenging to be motivated to blog but I feel so connected to my blogger friends that I have to read my follower's blogs.

Take care and thank you for being my blogger friend. Happy 70th. You still looks young and beautiful. Wishing you all the best for 2024.

Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Happy New Year! Loved re-visiting some of your memorable posts of 2023. Lets hope 2024 is even better. Janice