Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Greetings 2024

 January has arrived and the we rang in the new year in our usual quiet way.  We were able to stay up until midnight! Whoo Hoo!  We toasted with some sparkling cider and watched the ball drop.  So much fun I'm not sure everyone could handle it!  January 1st we had our good luck meal of pork and sauerkraut and black eyed peas.  We do the pork in the form of ribs which is good.  The peas are for Jack who always had them in his family on New Year's Day.  In my family I remember Mom having to have pickled herring...not my style then or now! But she believed fish on New Year's Eve brought good luck.  We also usually had ham.  So how ever you eat your luck I hope 2024 is a great year!  One other thing I always do is make my Greek New Year's bread.  Vasilopita bread, or it can be made as a cake, is traditional in Greek households.  Inside the bread or cake is baked a coin.  Everyone gets a chance to slice the bread and if you get the coin good luck is promised for the year.  Jordan was the lucky dude this year!

This bread is so good when made into toast.  Yummy!  I started taking down the Christmas decor after the 1st.  The tree just came down yesterday much to Jack's sadness.  He really enjoys the decorating of Christmas and especially the tree.  We struggled with the lights this year on our pre-lit tree.  Many folks tell me that their pre-lit trees also lose the lights eventually.  So we put lights on it and now I wonder if we should buy a new tree.  Hmm.  Jury is still out on that one. Maybe a great sale will motivate this!  So now most of Christmas is back in the storage room.
Living room is deChristmased..I just made that word up! But you will spy some little bits of it left in other spots.  I still have my wreaths in the windows and I put up all my snowman things with some lights on the kitchen mantle.
You can see the wreaths in the dining room windows and I have my snowman tablecloth that I found a couple of years ago at a vintage shop in Chicago. Fresh flowers that say Spring will arrive one day!  I'm glad I don't suffer with seasonal disorder and struggle with the dark days of winter but I do like to keep lights on here and there for brightening up spaces.  
A blurry pic but you can see I have white lights and snowmen to celebrate winter in Ohio.
Snowflake lights on my kitchen windows help bring in some sparkle. You can see we did get a bit of white flakes for real last night.  Now it's raining because our temps are in the upper 40's.  It's a mixed bag of weather all over the country.  Some of you are being dumped on with snow, others with rain and tornados.  Crazy!  We may be in blizzard conditions by the weekend.  I don't mind snow just not a blizzard please! Everyone will be out in force grabbing milk and toilet paper for sure!  Well, with the first week of January gone and winter moving in I hope everyone is warm and safe. 
I took this photo yesterday of the sun rising.  I just wanted you to know that we do get sunshine now and then and we had a little yesterday and in the past week.  Greetings 2024! I'm hope when I look back on you at the end of the year it will have been one laced with good luck from what ever food was consumed! Happy New Year!


5 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Happy New Year I have been slowly picking away at putting things away. I will be leaving my lights on the mantle. But I have noticed a few extra minutes of daylight each day.
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy now-second-week of 2024.... It's off to a snowy start here in Nod, but that is no surprise especially given how mild our December was. I didn't have much Christmas up, but what I had up is still up...along with much of the little Halloween I had up. Yes, a mess but it's hard to garner much motivation. I do have a little tree in my kitchen and one in my laundry room (both REALLY small) but I have always left them up well past Christmas because I can't stand losing their little lights. It is so dark here in Nod in the winter...and this year we have had very very little sun. Now with snow cover, at least it won't seem quite as dark at night. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Rainy day here again and still no snow. Am afraid it will come in February. UGH I keep out Winter displays and snowman to make the house less gloomy this time of year. My greens around my two door frames still have the white lights on them and we love them. Dont get me started on pre-lit trees. We had one at the store that the middle went out. Only 2 years old. Am thinking it is a scam to keep re-purchasing. Lucky Jordan. Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya, Happy New Year to you! Your home looks lovely - always does. We had to take the lights off of our pre-lit trees with wire cutters. Ugh. Not fun. We are having a very snowy week here in Utah. We had a snow squall this evening and seriously got about 5 inches of snow in an hour. It was crazy. Glad to hear that your new year is off to a good start. See you again soon!

Julia said...

Happy New Year, Yaya, I hope it's your lucky year.
Your home always looks great, inside and out.
I wanted a smaller tree but because I hear a lot of problems with prelit Christmas trees, I didn't buy one. I didn't even put one up this year. It's so much work and the running up and down stairs with those heavy totes isn't easy anymore.

We woke up to snow this morning but it's been warm and rainy all day and it's melting.

Stay safe and well.
Hugs
Julia