Saturday, November 24, 2012

We Gathered Together


I'm a bit late in my Thanksgiving posting.  A small issue with the blog had to be solved but all is good.  We had a fun and very beautiful day.  The temps were in the 60's and the sunshine was marvelous! 3 out of my 4 boys and their families came.  We missed having Craig and Amy and kiddos because they were having their Turkey Day in their new home in Portland, Ore.  We missed you! But the table was sort of set....we decided to do a buffet style this year.
Let's not forget the "children's table"...they seem to be having a deep conversation!
Plus it's a great place for Sisters to whisper secrets!
Everyone filled their plates and grabbed a seat and enjoyed the meal.
Yes Jordan, the green bean casserole was made just for you!
Dessert was an assortment of pies and a new jello concoction that was awesome! It's a "make again" recipe that I know my family in Chicago will enjoy when we go for our annual Christmas trek in a few weeks.  However, the grandkiddos decided that what they really wanted after dinner was this:
Popsickles on the deck railing! Addy cracked me up because she insisted on wearing her coat, but no shoes. Whatever floats your boat!
After dinner we had our annual "Pumpkin Shoot" event. It started out a few years ago when I used my bow and arrows to practice on left over Halloween pumpkins.  We've had a contest every year since. But my bow broke last year so the guys decided that guns work just as well.  I'm sure the neighbors loved the noise during their dinner...ooops..sorry! Anthony was allowed this year to participate with his Dad's help. Here are the targets:
I only had one pumpkin this year so my recycle bin was raided for plastic bottles and of course an empty kitty litter container was good too!
Then my son Phil and his wife Amanda and some of the kids and myself headed into the Creepy Woods for some exercise.
There was some tree hugging involved! This is Lexi...
Some tree leaning also! Addy had all smiles!
A quick game of football helped burn off more energy...and trying to get the ball out of the tree was another sport of the day!
But the sun set and the families were ready to head home. We had a nice day and it brought all the truly important things together to remind us what we have to be thankful for: FAMILY
 Driana.....the oldest Grandkiddo
Anthony....
Summer...
Cameron...
My son Jack and daughter-in-law Stephanie...
All these faces make me smile and give thanks every day.  I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving Day!





16 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like a great day. I say whoever cut those pies should get a gold star. Those slices look huge - just my size ;)

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Gatherings are always nice and fun. Your grand kids are adorable ( and so are your kids). The food looks yummy!

Stacy said...

This is a lot of fun! I forgot about the pumpkin shooting. Maybe you guys should build a pumpkin chunker.

Kay G. said...

Great photos! I remember Cameron from playing soccer!
I wish I could send you some squirrels for your shooting targets.

Julia said...

Lots of beautiful smiles on everyone and it looks like everyone had a great time. Those pies sure looks good. I'm starting to get a craving...
When the family gathers for dinner at our house, it's always buffet style. So much easier on me.

Look at that, a perfect little nest to hold the ball safely in the tree. Cute... Now who is smart enough to take it down without grown up help?
Pumpkin shoot is a great way to practice target shooting.

Blogger issues seems to be around again. I can't get a decent size picture for my header anymore. It tells me that the file is too big. I'll have to ask someone to help me fix that. Nothing I did worked.

Stay safe and warm.
Hugs.
JB

Mrs Catch said...

Australia doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. It's an American tradition. But, I just love the idea. And your last sentence about family is so true. I'm more aware of that this year than any before. Gorgeous shots of your grandkids. They look like they had a heap of fun. The ball made me laugh. We had a ball stuck in the tree on our footpth for TWO years! We finally got it down when the council came by to trim it.
Onwards to Christmas!
xx

Donna said...

It looks like a beautiful family event that you had over at the Pines!! Weren't we lucky to have such great weather? Summer looks so different in her blonde hair! So grown up and pretty. All the kids look adorable as well as adults. I'm coming over next year for the pumpkin shoot....that looks like FUN!!

karen said...

I love your Thanksgiving traditions! What a wonderful day it looked like it was.

Nonnie said...

What a picture perfect setting for celebrating Thanksgiving. My Granny always had a children's table for us and it was so much fun. You were blessed to have so many of your family there ... Especially the tree huggers and leaners and pumpkin shooters! You have a plethora of cuties in your family. 
My blogging issue is in trying to make comments. I read, then begin to comment and my iPad freezes up. Frustrating. 
Glad you had such a memorable Thanksgiving. I did not get enough pumpkin pie. 

Kent and Leisy said...

oh- I wish we'd have been there to eat that food and shoot those guns!! we need to come and visit! we WILL come and visit! Kent is horrendously busy through christmas- but we will find a weekend after december to come on up!

Sweet Tea said...

Thanksgiving Popsicles and a Pumpkin Shoot - great ideas!! Your family is beautiful!!

Cheltz said...

Warm enough for popsicles! Looks like a good time!

Scriptor Senex said...

What a great posting - that was exactly my image of what an American Thanksgiving should be.

Hilary said...

It looks like you had a wonderful day. You have a very beautiful family.. such sweet faces.

Susan Anderson said...

What a great day with the family. I had to laugh about the after-dinner gun play.

;)

Rebecca said...

You've got me wondering about the great make-again-jello-concoction....Are you sharing the recipe? (I have family in Chicago, too, BTW.)