Sunday, November 18, 2012

Goodbye Bessie

I mentioned to Jack that I hadn't posted anything this week.  He said, "Well, you could talk about your DVD thing you did for work."  Oh yeah...well, I did this DVD thing for work.  I put all my pics of my coworkers (and a few of me) together and added music. All with the help of my friend Stacy of course! Then I showed it at our weekly inservice meeting. Donna made a really delish breakfast and we had fun looking at the great people I work with and seeing how hard we work, but also how much fun we have and how we manage to keep smiles on our faces even when we sometimes want to choke each other! Everyone seemed to like it.  It got a ton of laughs and more than a few requests for copies. But we had another event that I need to talk about.  The passing of our dear Bessie....or snake as I have been known to call her. No, "she" isn't a snake...or even a real "she".  So, before you get all misty eyed, here's our dear "Bessie"....

 This was our 1996 van.  We've had many great trips in this van...many Boy Scout hauls, Church youth and adult activity trips, shuttles to Chicago, and all the tons of items I pick up here and there that required the removal of seats! These last years have been a bit rough for Bessie.  I called her "snake" because of the funny rattle (as in rattle snake)  that let everyone know she was coming.  Then the telltale smell of gasoline was the final giveaway that made our decision easy.  I was afraid if someone was smoking in the car ahead they might throw out a butt and blow us up!  But it was time for a new mode of transportation.  Also a new era in our life.  We've had full sized vans since before Lincoln was elected, but we decided to go smaller....so this is the new kid on the driveway block...
I won't be hauling much in this puppy...but Jack really likes driving this JEEP. It only seats 4, or 5 if you're really little. No name has been given yet.  Jack's Mom always named their cars and I'm sure one will come to us soon. When the van was being towed out of the driveway, the tow dude forgot to put it in neutral.  He was literally dragging it down the drive...tearing up the gravel as he went. I figured he would realize it when he hit the road since he didn't hear us yelling. I couldn't help but think old Bessie was just dragging her tires because she didn't want to leave us. That  made me sad.  My son brought me back to reality when he said. "Mom, people who think objects have feelings become hoarders...snap out of it."  I'm much better now!




16 comments:

Nonnie said...

I know that and you know that ... but it is still a sad feeling saying good-bye to a house or car that held lots of good memories. (My dear friend names all her cars and the latest is Cutie Pie.) I remember you talking about the DVD. Are you going to share?

Kay G. said...

I can't blame your old van, I wouldn't want to leave you either!
Happy Thanksgiving to you! xx

Hilary said...

Ha, your son is a hoot. I have to admit that I was relieved to find out that Bessie was a vehicle. So many bloggers seem to be losing relatives, friends and pets in the past couple of months, I thought.. oh no, not anther one. I know a car can be like a friend, but I was still relieved.

I hope that you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Kim said...

Phew! I'm glad Bessie was a vehicle. You scared me. I've named all my cars too. My first few cars were used but then I bought a brand new black sports car. It was so hot, and I loved it. It was a symbol of independence and growing up. After 7 years I traded and I stood in the car lot and cried as the salesman drove it out back. They still tease me at the dealership.

Julia said...

I thought that I would see a clip or photos of the DVD you made and then I thought ,oh no, she lost one of her coworkers.

Knowing your sense of humour I should have known better, hahaha.
I'm really glad that it was an old vehicle instead of a friend.

After 16 years, it must feel strange getting a replacement vehicle.
I'm amazed that you had it for so long. Obviously you guys took great care of it.

I had to laugh at the thought that your old van was dragging it's heels in the gravel because it didn't want to leave. Love what your son said.

Enjoy your new Jeep. It looks beautiful.
Hugs,
JB

Cindy said...

Aww, I miss my "work people" and the fun we used to have. I, also got sad when we got rid of our mini van 2 years ago...the one that all my kids came home from the hospital in. However, your new ride is awesome and your son is sooo right!! Congrats!

Rosaria Williams said...

All things come to their natural end, cars, appliances, favorite toys. Now, with the new Jeep, you will feel quite secure as you travel the distances to visit and to work.

PoetessWug said...

All I have to say is: "Uh Oh! O_O According to your son's assessment....*gulp!*...I'm a hoarder!!!!LOL"...Ehhhhh!.....WHATEVER!!! Ha! Ha! We had an old 1970s Cadillac...and a few other cars over the years...that all had names. We even had a 'Betsy'!! ^_^ And Shhhhhhh!...don't talk to loud...My headless model 'Tina' may get offended!! ^_^

selvageedge said...

Oh no! I can't believe the van died! And I think you lost the battle with not caring about your "things" when you gave your dishwasher the sabbath day off. :)
I want to see the video too.

Sweet Tea said...

Your new ride looks great! Ol'Bessie had a good life, but I'm thinking you're gonna enjoy your new "girl" as soon as you're a little better acquainted. She looks like a "Pearl" to me. Just an idea. . .

acorn hollow said...

Good bye snake hello to a safer mode of transportation.
I always feel bad when I trade a car. And oh how I hate to trade cars.
Cathy

Melissa Chorba said...

I have to admit, I LOVE what your son said so much I want to quote it - over and over again. I'm glad to 'hear' Bessie was a van, because as I started to read I thought Bessie may have been a co-worker...which would have been really sad.

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like a fun video, Kathy! It would be fun to see it.

We always mourn the passing of our old cars, even though they are wrecks by the time they die because we drive them forever.

;)

Cheltz said...

Fun new car! I'm glad you've narrowly avoided becoming a hoarder ;).

Vicki Boster said...

Yaya- I totally get this---
I spend a lot of time driving back and forth to work-- my car is my buddy--- I've had to say goodbye to some cars I loved in the past also.

Your new wheels are awesome!! I'm sure you will be best buds is just a bit!
Vicki

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Very smart son you have there honey. I so don't need another hoarder friend one is enough.
My Mother had a van very similar to your Bessie and oh how she loved it.
I know you will find a good name for your pretty new one and will enjoy it too.
Glad everyone loved your CD at work. What a neat idea...you would be so much fun to work with.
Just came by to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Love
Maggie