Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Hello Halloween And Goodbye October

I guess it's a nice thing that my favorite month of the year ends with my favorite holiday.  Happy Halloween everyone!  Here in Ashland the kids go trick or treating the Thursday before Halloween.  The weather that day was perfect unlike the weather we're having tonight. We did have a lovely day today weather wise early in the day but I was working and missed most of it.  Thankfully our downtown activities tonight had good, dry weather and tons of kids doing what they call "Costume Capers".  The downtown merchants hand out candy and the kids can go from business to business and enjoy all the fun activities.  There was even a haunted house that was put together in one of the businesses that was free for the kids to run through.  Our downtown has done so many fun activities and even the adults were able to dress up and have last Friday night to go to all the restaurants and bars and have some costume capers of their own!  We didn't do any of that and unfortunately we don't get trick or treaters out here in the country. Jack and I both miss having littles to do Halloween.  We sometimes head into town just to see the kids having fun.  But now the time has come to bid farewell to October.  The candy and costume isles are now replaced with Christmas decor.  Even our weather gave us a little winter wonderland surprise tonight:

Can you see the snow on the deck? Those white dots are snow in the air.  As for the white mist? Well, I'm chalking that up to the eeriness of the season! Boo! With the frost we had this morning and the rain and wind from the last couple of days, the Fall colors are faded and lots of leaves are carpeting the lawns.

Please ignore Annabelle's bum! I was trying to show the oak tree shedding it's leaves! We did manage to get out for a little leaf peeping over the weekend when we headed out to the apple orchard.

Scenic Ridge did not disappoint. We snagged some tastey ever crisp apples. Yum!


They have a fun little space for kids and families to gather and play and just enjoy the "scenic" view! I'm assuming that's how they got the fruit farm's name.  Jack's Mom and I used to go here so many years ago and pick pears, peaches, grapes and strawberries.  
Annabelle was enjoying the outing.
Ok, so I couldn't resist this shot...yes, I'm one of those dog owners!  She didn't mind it at all..I think! As the weather started getting colder I decided to make some homemade bread and veggie soup:
Both turned out delish and made for a warm and filling dinner last night.  One project that we were super happy to get finished was getting our fireplaces fixed so we can have a fire in them.
Can you see the dude in the fireplace?  It's not Santa! He came last week on the last really warm day we had and did his magic.

Voila'! We have fire! The bottom pic is the livingroom and we never had a fire in there in the 22yrs we've lived here.  The kitchen one is now safe too and I know we'll get lots of use out of them.  Plus if we ever sell we can claim 2 working fireplaces.  So tomorrow the Halloween decor will come down for another year.  I'll leave the Fall things out because it's still is Fall and Thanksgiving will soon be here. Yes, I decorate for Thanksgiving too!  We have had a fun season so far. With our trip up to Michigan in September and getting things ready for family and our annual party a few weeks ago we did manage to enjoy the sights, sounds, and lovely smells of this time of year.  We do have a warm up coming this weekend and I know we'll spend more time outside finishing up yard work and prepping for winter.  I hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween! 
Last night's blazingly lovely sunset!  Bye October!
 

7 comments:

jack69 said...

Yes, we too at times take a trip down town to see what is going on with the kids at Halloween. It has been a long time for us since fire places. The last house I built for us I did not put one in, I sorta miss one.
Listening to too much noise next door, so I will close.
Sherry & jack not smiling with noisy neighbors. LOL?

TheCrankyCrow said...

Pretty foliage...ours is gone....skittered out some time ago and we now have snow on the ground. I woke to 3+" yesterday morning and in the teens for temps this morning. Yikes, that happened fast. Sadly, I only had 2 trick or treaters. My little Mia was planning on coming but got sick so I only got photos. And, of course, I always way overdo the treat bags so I will have to come up with a plan B. I always have tons left, but this is crazy. How fun that your little town is always so very festive. And yay on the fireplace! That issue is another sore spot in my life these days. We converted a wood-burning fireplace to electric several years ago but it never worked correctly (would always shut off, etc.) It finally completely stopped working about 2 years ago and I have had no luck getting it repaired. Despite over 2 dozen (seriously) service calls, they can't figure out what's wrong. I've asked that they just put in a new unit and that apparently isn't possible either. I am so frustrated I could scream. I really relied on it to take the chill off as this old house does not retain heat well. So, enjoy for me. ~Robin~

Deb J. in Utah said...

Your town Halloween festival sounds like a lot of fun. We only had two groups of trick-or-treaters last night and we were a little disappointed, but there was a big Trunk-or-Treat event at the church a couple of nights before and I think that a lot of people take their littles to that. You have had a beautiful fall. I love fireplaces. We have two in this house - one traditional and one gas. We only use the gas fireplace. Sounds like you are getting ready for Thanksgiving now. I hope that you and your family have a wonderful November. See you again soon!

Prims By The Water said...

We love our fireplace. So glad you have a working one now. We had snow on Halloween but thankfully it did not stick and it is going up to the mid 60's tomorrow. YAY Janice

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I didn't want to miss your final Halloween recap, dear friend. Clearly, Ohio, Ashland has its act together when it comes to this and other holidays, offering several forms of safe fun for the kids and options for the adults as well. Sorry you didn't get any trick-or-treaters at The Pines, I thought for sure the Yeti would have rung your bell dressed as Progressive Flo or some such character. :) Where Mrs. Shady and I now live, we didn't get any kids at our door either, nor did we see any snow flurries yet this season, only temps as low as the upper 20s. Don't worry, dear friend - this Florida "native" is absolutely loving the cold weather up north, and seeing the fall leaves up close for the first time since 1983 is pure joy. Our colored leaves are now fading and falling as are yours.

It's wonderful seeing my sweetie-pie Annabelle outside sniffing the cool breeze, something our Toto loved to do in winter, such as it was in Florida. Just a reminder that I give Annabelle a shout-out in my new post which was published this morning. Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend YaYa!