Monday, May 1, 2023

May Day!

Happy May Day!  I remember celebrating this day as a child in school with dancing around a may pole, gathering in flowers and making cone baskets to take home to Mom.  Once I had my boys, when they were little,  make a May Day cone with flowers for our next door neighbor when we lived in town. Did you ever do anything like that back in the day?  I wish today was a day fit to dance around outside and gather flowers but the rain keeps coming and it's only in the 40's!  Plus, to make it more fun, it's suppose to have a few snowflakes thrown in.  Oh well, that's Spring in Ohio for you! It looks like a warm up coming by the end of the week.  With nicer weather ahead perhaps the sidewalk will be able to be put in.

Here's the entrance to our front porch without the old sidewalk. Quite the mess!  I'll be very excited to show the finished project hopefully as soon as the weather breaks and it can be finished.  With all the rain we've had lately the Pines are super green.  Green like I imagine Ireland to look like.
Thankfully Annabelle is white so we can spot her easily!  You can see many of the trees are sporting green leaves now.
The dogwoods are all in bloom also.

 White blossoms down by the creek help break up all the green.  The other thing that happens in Spring are all the birds nesting.  I have a few in the garage that I want to evict! But the weirdest one is the goofy Robin that decided this area was prime realestate.  We have 6 acres of land with tons of trees and this was the best she could do?
The baker's rack on the patio between the house and the garage...really?  No shelter, no privacy, no way!  Every time we drive into the garage or come out of the house she takes off. It will be a long Spring waiting for those eggs to hatch while flying away every 10 seconds!
Good luck little birdies.  Momma is a crazy gal!  I did put some boards on the top shelf to aid a bit in keeping the rain off.
Maybe she needs a may basket with some flowers and a few worms thrown in to welcome her to the neighborhood.   Happy May Day!


5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Sorry that the merry merry month of May is off to a chilly and soggy start up your way, dear friend. The weather's delightful down here. We had good rains the last couple of days which broke the drought and made the lawns look fresh and green again. Today, the sun is shining, the temperature is reasonable and the humidity is pleasantly low.

Yessum, my memories match yours. In elementary school, we celebrated May Day out on the "blacktop" with a May pole that kids danced around, music, rides, games and ice cream and snack stands. The annual event was lots of fun, and I don't remember any rainouts.

I will indeed be eager to see your finished sidewalk. Maybe by the end of July your weather will be nice enough for work on it to move forward. :) Awww... I love that picture of a pure white fur ball in the middle of your sprawling green lawn! The Dogwood blossoms are a lovely sight to see.

Yessum, nature has strange ways. I don't know why birds make things more difficult for themselves by building their nests so close to the chaos of human comings and goings. You took marvelous pictures of mama bird and her eggs. I wish them well.

Thanks for the Pines update. I hope you and Jack are feeling a lot better lately and that you have a safe and happy week, dear friend YaYa!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Merry, Merry, May YaYa! Never would guess it to be May here...horrendous winds, snow squalls, icy rain....I haven't seen the sun since I don't know when. The lawn is greening up a bit, but even my daffies haven't bloomed yet. It's going to be a short, short summer methinks. Robins can be a bit dense at times (present company included)...I have one build a nest on an old wood ladder that leans against my garage and each year...and it becomes a challenge to get into the garage as she and her baby daddy swoop at anyone who comes near. This year, the wind blew the ladder down and I've left it down so she will need to relocate. There are also (long-term) nests built on both of my satellite dish arms. Oh well....whatever works I guess. ~Robin~

Julia said...

How lovely to look outside your window with all the flowering trees in bloom. I can't wait for my cranapple tree to bloom but as soon as it blooms we usually get a hot spell and the blooms don't last.

It's been a bit windy and raining here too and we even lost power this afternoon.

What a crazy bird to build her nest in the open. I guess she like more modern accommodation. It looks pretty but not very practical. Even the birds have gone bonkers. lol...

Take care and have a beautiful May.
Hugs,
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Goofy robin indeed! Glad you were able to help her out a bit with the board. Rain rain go away.....but then snow may come in. UGH Janice

Kay G. said...

THat was so sweet to put that wood on top to keep the rain off the robin!
The robin was be pretty smart to have that nest there, you provided the shelter so she must have known you would! LOL!!