Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Bye Bye May

 Those sweet May days are over in a few hours and I really needed to get one last post in.  I feel like I'm rushing around these days and not getting anywhere.   Then I look at my gardens and realize I've been busy and actually getting things done! After the last couple of years when Jack and I weren't able to get it all done it feels good to see progress at the Pines once again.  However, I hardly ever miss a Memorial Day to give my thanks to those who gave their all to this country we love.  I want to say thanks to those who have served, are serving and to the families who have lost loved ones in the wars.  


My Dad, (the one with the X)..my hero!  Drove a tank in WWII.
My brother, Greg, who fought in Viet Nam.  Another hero! My oldest brother, Phil, also served during Viet Nam but he served in Thailand.  I don't have a photo of Phil in uniform. I'll have to work on that! It's never too late to say thanks to a Veteran or someone serving now.  Also I can't let this month go without saying how much I miss my Mom who passed away on May29th, 2020.  I still find myself thinking I can call her and ask a question about something or just to chat. These past weeks as I've worked in our yard I thought of all the times I saw my Mom doing the same thing. Painting, planting, pulling weeds, all the fun stuff.  When Mom passed away a friend gave me a lovely wind chime with words that said when someone you love passes away the memories become treasures. So True!

In the middle of the pergola hangs that wind chime.  As I was mulching this area yesterday there was a lovely breeze and when I heard those chimes I felt like Mom was sending those memories to me with each melodic chime.


The peonies are in bloom as usual on Memorial Day weekend.  Again memories of the peonies
 at our house when I was growing up.  I loved them and like to watch all the ants crawl over them and I remember Mom saying that the ants help open up the blooms.  Not sure if that's true but I like the idea of it anyway! So this month has slipped by on speeding wings and now Summer is officially started no matter what the calendar may say.  We had the kids over on Memorial Day and we grilled out and had our first real Summer gathering. On Friday night Jack and I put in our first fire in the fire pit.
Our weather has been beautiful and it was a great night to sit around the fire and enjoy the evening. We even made pie iron food!  Pie iron pizza and also some desserts.  It was great!  We also put our garden in on Saturday and we put the herbs near the kitchen on the deck.  Good for running out and grabbing what I need when cooking.

So that ends my May musings and now onto June.  June will find us flying the hopefully friendly skies to Portland, Oregon to see our Grandson, Taylor, graduate and spend time with Craig and family.  It's been 2 years since we've seen our #2 son and Grandkiddos.  Way too long!  Jordan will be keeping the house safe and Annabelle company.  We'll be back for the rest of the festivities of Summer before you know it.
Save me a seat at the table! Night all and good bye to May!


4 comments:

acorn hollow said...

what a lovely post your gardens look lovely. My dad served in Korea. I am always thankful for their service to this country. You deck looks wonderful with the red it really pops.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your son and family 2 years is a long time.
I miss my mom too she spent the last years here with us so sometimes I think I hear her.
Cathy

Kay G. said...

Oh my dear, what a lovely sweet post this is! I love the photos of your father and brother in their uniforms. That's great you will get out to see your grandson graduate, I know you will have fun and GOOD FOOD, am I right? LOL! I always loved hearing about your dear mother, I know you have many fond memories that you will treasure forever.
Take care and keep looking gorgeous as you always do! xx

Prims By The Water said...

My mom always told me the ants help peonies grow too. My uncle also served in the Vietnam War in Thailand. Great pics of your father and brother. We had so much pride in our soldiers before and it is such a shame that most of the younger generation dont even know the meaning of Memorial Day. We also had our first bonfire of the year over the weekend too. Toasted marshmallows and had drinks. Bring on June! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy June Kathy.... Yes, time is flying by so very quickly it seems. We went from winter and snow to hot summer in the blink of an eye....I wonder what happened to spring. This past week has been HOT...and we are now extremely dry. Seems like just last week we were sodden. Strange days. Wishing you safe travels and fun times celebrating your grand's graduation. And how nice to know Jordan will be home holding down the fort. Beautiful peonies. They were always some of my mom's and grandmother's favorite flowers....we had a ton of them on the farm. They were some of the first plants I planted when we moved here...but they got removed during WWR... Now I only have a couple white peonies in back of the garage. ~Robin~