Friday, May 19, 2023

Serve And Protect

This week was National Police Week.  I know our men and women in blue have had a hard time with the trust of some of the communities they serve.  Yes, there certainly have been some sad and unfortunate decisions and actions by the police.  Riots, and destruction of property has followed in some cases. I don't understand how that helps anyone but I will say that police are humans.  Humans make mistakes but they also can do wonderfully heroic feats.  I send condolences to families that have been involved in these tragic circumstances and in no way am I making excuses for police.  But I have a wonderful Niece that is a police officer.  She has put her life on the line and has served for 20yrs in the police force outside of Chicago.  She was a detective for a bit.  She was tackled by a drunk and has had back issues that involved surgeries and even a spinal implant.  Still she works and won't leave for disability reasons. Katie works with the DARE program at schools and helps with training their new therapy dog, Bandit. She helps plan events for Special Olympics that involve her department. I don't know all else she does but I know she gives her all, day in and day out, for her community. She serves and protects. I pray for her safety daily and I'm proud of all she does.  My Dad served as Chief of Police in our community when I was growing up.  It was a volunteer program back then that lead to a full, paid police force today. I know he would be so proud of Katie and I'm sure is smiling down on her.  I blogged about her being honored a few years ago as Officer of the year in at her police force.  Thank you Katie and thanks to all our police.  Give a thanks to an officer for service in your community.  Happy National Police Week!

Katie and my Dad, her Grandpa!  Katie is also a wife and mother of 2 kiddos.
Here's my sister Midge...Katie's Mom...and  my niece Amy...Katie's sister...and Bandit! Katie was involved in a program for Special Olympics today at Dunkin' Donuts called "A cop on top".  They stand on the roof and get donations for this worthy organization. 
Katie and Bandit at an elementary school helping with a reading program.
I love Bandit's badge! He's doing great in this program and will make a wonderful therapy dog for the department.  Let's face it, he's dang cute too!   


6 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for raising awareness of National Police Week and reminding us about Midge's daughter, your niece Katie, a proud member of the Chicago area police force these many years, injured in the line of duty but continuing to proudly serve. I would love to be on hand and watch her training therapy dog Bandit. I also admire her involvement in police affiliated Special Olympics events. Over the years, I have observed that Katie is typical of members of your large family, including your dad (and YOU). Right down the line, your people give 100% in service to community and country. It was wonderful to see these pictures of your dad, Midge and Amy along with Katie and Bandit. I can imagine the cuddly pooch being a big hit with school children involved in reading programs.

Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend YaYa!

jack69 said...

Great tribute to Katie. We admire and support our men and women in Blue and KNOW it is a tough job. Great read, THANKS.. Everyone should have kin or a friend who wears the blue, JUST to know they are people too! I was once mistreated by a law officer, but I never lost my respect for that uniform. Life is real...
Good writing.
Sherry & jack down here in the Sun....

TheCrankyCrow said...

Lovely way of honoring your niece and the other men and women in blue. You are correct that they are only human but they deserve our respect and gratitude, both of which are sadly lacking these days. It's a tough job and getting more difficult with each passing day. Enjoy your weekend. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

A lovely tribute I have a cousin in the state police she and her husband both and they have 2 little children. It is a thankless job but who do you call first when you are in trouble?
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

My son went to school for 2 years to become a police officer and so glad he chose a different line of work. It is a dangerous job and the pay sucks. I so feel for those brave woman and men that are police officers. Kudos to them because I could NEVER have done that job. Tell your niece we are so proud of her! Janice

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I hope you see this message. It's been a couple of weeks since I have seen you here at Whispering Pines or at Shady's Place. I hope everything is AOK and that you are simply slowing down the pace.

I am writing to let you know that I am signing-off and starting a blog break today that will last until June 11. I will be unavailable to visit you or reply to any comments you might leave on my site. I will return for one post (Save By The Dell) around June 11, but after that, I will need to break away again, this time on an extended blog hiatus that will likely last until early November. The hiatus will be necessary because Mrs. Shady and I just bought a house in a far away state and are moving. I didn't want to disappear on you w/o explanation.

I hope and pray you and your family are well and in good spirits. I'll be thinking about you, dear friend YaYa!