Sunday, October 2, 2022

Hello My Pretties!

 October dawned gray and a bit chilly yesterday but I'll take it! My favorite month is here and already time is flying by.  This past week we got some new carpet in a couple of the bedrooms. It's been 21 years since we moved in and carpeted those rooms so it was time.

The carpet was previously navy blue so this color has brightened up the place a bit!  We've been slowly trying to get rid of "things" and I think Good Will and the Thrift store will know me very well as time goes on.  Yesterday there was a drop off for TV's and other devices that the trash won't take so it was good to get rid of a couple of TV's we didn't need and couldn't even give away.  I also took 4 boxes of Christmas decor to Good Will.  I had gone through my Christmas things, gave some to family and just had to downsize the rest. It does feel good to let go sometimes! I'm thinking my Halloween has to be next. I have given a lot of that away too but I can't resist buying more! (I did take the 7ft. skeleton back remember...that  has to account for something!)  

I was at the dollar store on Friday and I spied this in the parking lot...I thought it was an Amish hearse! I think it was really just a trailer they were hauling.  I hope it wasn't too heavy for that poor horse! 
A friend of mine gave me some fresh bittersweet.  I've never decorated with that before.  Any suggestions on how to use it? Right now it's draped on my front porch railing:
You probably need to zoom  in to see it!  My son, Jordan, arrived home from California last night.  He's been living there for 2 years after transferring  with his company.  He got the opportunity to transfer back here so he took it. I think he had enough of the 114de heat and fires out there! We're happy to have him back and hopefully he'll enjoy his time back.  When he came in the house he said: "You've already decorated for Halloween?  Or have you just started!"  Smart aleck!  I decorated early because we have my sister and her family coming in this week to join us for our annual Halloween/October blast! Here's a few of the decorations:
These witches shoes usually go by the kitchen fireplace but Annabelle thinks they are toys so I moved them up a bit!  Yes, I'm a bit "batty" here!
Speaking of the fireplace...Driana, my Granddaughter, sent the glowing tree! She knows how her YaYa decorates!
This gal has found a spot in the kitchen also...come on by and sit for a "spell"!  Finally I will stop boring you but I 'll have to show this last pic I took on a walk the other day.
I'm going to label it "Hanging on by a thread". These trees line the creek bank across our road and look like it won't take long to tumble in.  I think there are many down south in Florida...including my brother Phil and my Nephew Patrick...who feel like they are hanging on after Hurricane Ian came through as they live in Fort Myers and Cape Coral.  Hugs and prayers for them and all who are cleaning up after that horrible storm.  Have a good week everyone!


7 comments:

jack69 said...

AHHH, trips to goodwill and Thrift stores.... and moving some things out. I am surprised to hear carpet being replaced, most folks I know replace the carpet with the 'new' slap down foooring, we prefer carpet (even old) LOL
Love the pictures.
Sherry & jack (another one) There cannot be too many jacks, we have 4 in our family so far. LOL

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya! I love your cute Halloween decorations. The new carpeting looks great. What a blessing that your son was able to move back to live nearing to you. We are trying to get rid of things too - I have another big sack of things to take to Deseret Industries or Goodwill. I hope you have a good Sunday and enjoy Conference. See you again soon!

Julia said...

Wow! you're ahead of the game with your Halloween decorating. I need to bring my fall decor out. I used to go all gung-ho with fall decorating but as I get older, and the kids are not visiting as often (since covid) I let things slip. I gave most of my Halloween decorations to my granddaughter who has three kids.

Your granddaughter is sweet and she knows your taste. I love the lighted tree and that dead witch sitting on the bench, lol... She surely will leave your visitors with quite an impression.

Good job on the carpet and the decluttering. The more I declutter, the more my husband brings other people's junk into our home. Sigh... He like clutter and I am just the opposite, I love tidiness and order and I think he's winning. lol...

How wonderful that your son is moving back to your area. It's much better when you can see family in person.

One word of caution on Bittersweets. There are different kinds of Bittersweet but I think most are poisonous and can be deadly to animals. The deadliest is the Nightshade Bittersweet which can kill cattle, dogs, and other animals. We have had some growing in our hedge and at the farm since the flood. I try to root them out but when the berries fall, they will grow the next year. Yours looks like perhaps the American Nightshade.

Enjoy the new month of October.
Hugs, Julia

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

The striking orange-yellow tree leaves forming a canopy above the old trailer sets the mood for the autumn season at The Pines. I'm happy to see you have been busy putting up your Halloween decorations. I enjoy looking at them every year. I'll take a closer look in a minute.

I like the shade of gray carpeting you used in the bedroom to complement the blue walls. It looks lovely, dear friend! Plus, I applaud you for biting the bullet and getting rid of TV sets, Christmas decorations and other items that have been taking up space. Midge is coming, and you want her and Hope to have plenty of room to roam.

Dang if that doesn't look like an Amish hearse! As you know, for many years I lived on the edge of Amish farm country in Lancaster County, PA. Amish buggies were a common sight, and every once in a while we spotted young Amish men driving around in muscle cars as they took advantage of their freedom during Rumspringa.

I'm happy that Jord has returned home. I didn't realize it's been two years since he left for California. I wish him well now that he's back in Ohio, Ashland. Did he surprise you with a new granddog, or did he already have one when he left? My memory is failing.

Now on to your H-ween decorations. You have an eye for fashion, YaYa. Ever consider trying those witch shoes on for size? They might look great on you, and I'll bet they're mighty comfy to boot. :) I think you could leave Driana's glowing tree right where it is through the T-giving and Christmas holidays. That lady skeleton must have parked herself in the kitchen for a reason. Can't you take a hint? She's hungry! :)

That last picture of the tree hugging the soil on a steep embankment shows how tough and resilient mother nature can be. I hope the tree doesn't topple down, because it is a symbol of strength and hope in times of adversity.

I wish your brother Phil and nephew Patrick a speedy recovery from the devastation they suffered in last week's powerful hurricane.

Thanks for the update setting the stage for your big annual Halloween bash. I hope the weather cooperates and everybody has a great time. I look forward to reading the highlights and seeing the pictures. I hope Midge and Hope arrive safely also. Have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy October my friend! The loveliest bestest month of all. I will have to drink in all your fun decor a I am not putting much out this year. It's a bit sad when I am the only one who sees it. But I have pulled out some of my favorites and a few lights...I love, love, lights LOL. I need to doing a lot of purging....Christmas, Halloween, and a lot of other stuff. Halloween is the most difficult, of course, to part with. And speaking of tvs...I am hoping to find someone who will be willing to hook up a new tv for me....I am dying to see Hocus Pocus 2 but need a smart tv...which I don't have. (I cannot watch it on my ipad...unh uh...no way.) I am glad your Jordan is back "home." It must make you feel better knowing he is close by. I wish my Jordan would move back closer....he's not that far truly (about 40-45 minutes) but when he used to be 5 minutes away, it make a difference. Bittersweet...ah, one of my very favorite things EVER...but, yes, as Julia warned, it is poisonous to animals so I have to put it where kitties won't get to it. I just like cutting smaller sprig of it and putting it here and there (e.g., hanging from a peg rack, with my black Steiff cats on the mantel, in with some pumpkins on my hanging scale, etc.) but I have also bent it into wreathes and made swags. Last year mine were prolific with blooms...this year is more sparse...and since they are planted on the side of my cornzebo, many of the better blooms are up too high for me to reach. Be sure your let us know what you decide to do with it. Enjoy your sister time! ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Happy October and yes it is Halloween time! YAY I know you are thrilled over the moon having your son back home...and yes he is a smart aleck. My kids are the same way though. LOL Whenever I had some real bittersweet, I always hung it high inside so my animals would not get into it. Lately I use the faux stuff. Am loving all of your Halloween decor and I know you are just getting started. So nice you were able to replace your carpet. Am sure it feels nice and cozy now with that new rug smell...just like a new car smell. Yes, we must all pray for those affected by the hurricane. Such devastation. Janice

Kay G. said...

Love your Halloween decorations!
That horrible hurricane. I am glad your relatives are okay.
And after you get rid of things in your house, will you please come and help me do the same?
I find it very difficult!