Sunday, October 16, 2022

Party On Part 2

Usually when the family comes to our Fall gathering they head home on Sunday.  This year we were happy that my niece Amy and my nephew Bill and families were able to stay until Monday.  My niece Katie had to head back on Sunday though and we bid her and the kids a fond farewell with a promise to see them at our Christmas gathering at her house.   We had decided to go to Mohican State Park and the weather was gorgeous for a day in the woods!  First however we made a stop at Mohican State Park Campground to see my good friend and coworker Kim who was camping there with her family.  Kim's dog Clover is Hope's mommy and we brought Hope down also to visit with them.  Kim loves to see how the puppies they give good homes too are doing.  It was fun to see how the campground prepares for the annual Halloween weekend that happened this weekend.  Kim's family had put together a simply amazing display of a castle with dragons and everything!

This was the day look but to see it finished at night was spectacular! I didn't get back at night to get any pics but there was a fog machine going with lots of eerie lighting and even a walking dragon. They won first place this year!  After visiting the campground we drove over to see the rest of the park.  First was a stop at the fire tower and a quick picnic lunch.
My niece's hubby is a firefighter so he really wanted to see this and took a couple of their kiddos up to the top.  I did this climb years ago and not being a fan of heights I figured once in a lifetime is good enough for me!  After lunch we headed over to the covered bridge where the gang could go on a 1.5 mile hike back to the lion falls. 
The bridge is always a fun photo time.
As you can see the weather was perfect and those that wanted to hike took off while Jack, Midge, and I stayed behind with Annabelle.  Midge's dog Hope went on the hike with the kids.  It's kind of a rocky and twisty little trail and we decided to just chill by the river.
Jack found a good spot to sneak in a little snooze time!  When the gang returned, the next stop was to another castle.  This time a real one called "Landall Castle".  It's a hotel and restaurant that was featured a few years ago on TV with Gordon Ramsey.  It's a beautiful spot for a wedding or a weekend away.
This is the front of the hotel.  The grounds were lovely to stroll around and enjoy on that beautiful afternoon.
Even some surprises around the corner! 
This made a great spot for a photo op with the families.
I think everyone enjoyed the day outdoors and were ready to head back to the Pines for dinner. I had a big pan of lasagna waiting and after dinner games were played around the table while kids played outdoors or watched movies.  It was a great time filled with the 3 "F's"...Family, Fun, and Food!  On Monday the cars were packed to the gills with treasures and families.  They all made it back to Chicago safely with tons of memories and hopefully a really good time.  As I walked around the Pines on Monday morning just to check the outside for anything left behind in the yard, I noticed that our witches had flown the coop....another gathering in the books!
I would say it was a bit magical! I'm so thankful for all who came and for God granting us beautiful weather!  

6 comments:

Julia said...

Wow, you sure know how to spend some quality time with your family. You are just amazing. You're lucky to be able to all get together. I'm sure this one will go down memory lane with great fondness.

Take care.
Hugs, Julia

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

Thanks for showing us the Pt. 2 highlights of your annual family Halloween party, dear friend! Everything seems to have fallen into place for you this year. The weather was gorgeous, ideal for exploring the Mohican State Park Campground and hiking the trails. I'm touched that Hope dog was reunited with her mommy Clover. I wonder if they sensed they are related. Bless their hearts! The castle that your friend/co-worker Kim and her family erected complete with fog machine, eerie lighting FX and walking dragon is simply awesome! I am not surprised they took first place in the campground's H-ween competition.

Mohican State Park looks like a lovely, scenic place to visit. I'm sure I'd feel giddy at the top of that tall observation tower, and I don't blame you for letting the younger set satisfy their curiosity and craving for adventure while you kept your feet planted firmly on the ground. I love covered bridges and would have enjoyed walking through that one. I can see why the beautiful Landall Castle is a popular spot for weddings, receptions, family functions and vacation getaways. It looks like the dinosaur out front is preparing to hurl that pumpkin, or maybe pop the whole thing in his mouth. That scarecrow is doing a great job of tending his flower garden. The group shot is one of the best family pictures you've ever posted. Look how perfectly everyone was posed! It's just a wonderful photo, and it's so good to see my friend Midge among them.

Back to The Pines for Family, Fun and Food! I wish I had been there to taste your lasagna and spoil Hope and Annabelle with constant attention. I'm glad to know that all family members who attended your bash returned home safely, bringing an end to a happy and memorable fall get-together. Your happiness is mine, dear friend YaYa. Have a super week!

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a wonderful family gathering! So much fun and so many good memories. Have a great week!

jack69 said...

WOW not only good shots (Bridge, curved stairs, family and Jack snoozing!), but you decorated the site for the season. Lots of work here we see.
Love the family report of the caring and sharing of the Fall, FAmily and the Fun.
Sherry & jack smiling here in Florida

Prims By The Water said...

You had ne at lasagna. I only make it now for Christmas as it is just to much for Bob and I. No tank you on the fire tower. I remember one our family took to Vermont and New Hampshire just to see covered bridges. It was an awesome trip when I was 15. Love the bridge you went too! How fun to have your family stay for an extended time. Cherish the memories! The state park a half mile from us does 2 Halloween weekends. We love seeing how the campers deck out their campers. Janice

acorn hollow said...

What a wonderful visit you had!! It looks like everyone was smiling and sounds like everyone was well fed.
Cathy