Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The Boogeyman

 Did you have fears when you were a child?  Fears of a ghost in the closet or something scary under the bed? I remember we always scared each other with talks of the Boogeyman.  That crazy, scary, unseen thing that went bump in the night.   So a light on in the hallway, or maybe a night light?  Tales during a party to make you shiver?  Looking at yourself in a mirror while repeating Mary, Bloody Mary?  Yep those were the scary things of childhood that we can look back now and laugh.  Yes, there are really scary people in the world. We hear about them daily on the news.  We take many precautions to prevent them from being in our world.  However, there are other "Boogeymen" that are not hiding in the closet or under the bed.  This scary thing is hiding in our bodies.  We go about our daily lives and then will hear of a friend or family member that has been attacked by this monster.  We call it "Cancer".  It's often unseen until symptoms appear or a routine check up reveals that something scary is hiding within us.  I faced this Boogeyman this past week when a call from my family Doctor had me calling a thoracic surgeon to rule out a mass on my lung that looked suspicious.  I've had lung nodules that we've kept an eye on for about 3 years. These haven't changed and are usually of a non cancer variety.  But my scan this year picked up on a very tiny new mass that looked suspicious.  So I've had those boogeyman scary feelings for a week until my appointment today.  It's a mass too small to biopsy and in a place that would be difficult. However, the surgeon feels it's only a 4% chance of being cancer and would suggest doing another scan in 3 months and we'll keep an eye on it.  It could even go away on it's own.  To me that would be such a blessing.  So for now I'm in a better frame of mind and even though that Boogeyman is still hiding I'm hoping to be the one to scare him out of existence! I know many of my followers have dealt with a cancer diagnosis for themselves or a family member or a friend.  Prayer does help and I'm grateful for my family and friends these past few days that have prayed for me.  I hope one day for a cure for all cancers and that stinky Boogeyman to be gone from all our closets and under all our beds.  

5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for your candor, dear friend. If I were you, I too would have that boogeyman nagging me night and day. However, I certainly like those 96% to 4% odds that the problem is benign and might go away on its own. You know that every one of your family and friends, myself included, are rooting for you and praying for you to be AOK. Please keep us posted so that we might breathe easier too when you get the all clear. I know it will be unpleasant for you to wait three more months for a follow-up scan, but the surgeon knows what's best under these circumstances.

Since you are such a long time close friend, I would like to share with you that I am in mourning tonight. I just found out that my dear cousin Paula has died unexpectedly, and apparently of cancer, at the age of 73. Paula was the cousin closest to me in age. We had many wonderful times together as children. You might recall the tribute post I ran three years ago to surprise her on her 70th birthday:

https://tctgyb.blogspot.com/2019/02/hey-hey-paula.html

It is a shocking loss and I am reeling. Thank you for allowing me to express this to you here.

Keep your chin up. A positive attitude about life promotes wellness and keeps the boogeyman at bay. God bless, YaYa!

Julia said...

Oh Yaya, I'm so sorry for this latest Boogyman scare. It will stay scary until you get a good report. I'm glad that it was discovered and that they are keeping an eye on it for now but I pray that it all clears up.

I hope that you live life to its full as we never know when our lives will be cut short just crossing the road.

Sending love, hope, courage, and a zest for life and prayers.

Hugs,

Julia


The Journey said...

We have fought our boogeyman many times and won as we fought it together....and we will again...I will fight this with you and give you strength as you have given to me more than once.
We don't give up, we live and enjoy life and if you think you're getting out of here I have another thought for you. We are strong and you are one of the strongest people I know and one with a great sense of humor...that really helps by the way. So dust yourself off, stand up tall and continue the journey and if you stumble I will catch you as you have done for me....we're in this to win this...Love forever....praying always....
Midge

acorn hollow said...

Sending you a hug and a prayer so sorry you have to even think about that.
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Scary indeed...a boogeyman of the worst sort. But I know you have an army of friends, family and acquaintances rooting and praying for you....I'm am happy to count myself as one. Hugs to you....sending positive and hopeful and blessing-filled vibes your way...and, of course, prayers upward. ~Robin~