Sunday, July 31, 2022

Bye Bye July!

 Final post of this month.  July has come and is almost gone and it's been a nice weather month...except for a few tornadoes early on and another tornado scare last week.  Here's what the sky looked like when the sirens went off:


The sky was a funny orange color as the tornadoes just passed us by, thankfully.  And speaking of orange color...wait, we were speaking of orange color, right?  I decided to paint the computer room after the windows were put in.  The light blue was nice but it needed refreshing.  I decided to refresh with a completely different color and chose what I thought was a  pale orange, like a cream sickle.  Well....:
Like Rudolph's nose, you can say the room "fairly glows"!  Even though it's a bit brighter than I thought it would be and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, I like it.  I guess that's all that matters! Maybe it will help me feel more creative!  So far all it's made me feel is a desire for an orange shake from Arby's!  As we head into August tomorrow, the garden is producing and canning will be the order of the day in the weeks ahead.
Green beans anyone?  We had some for dinner the other night and they were really good. Nothing beats fresh veggies from the garden.
Fresh corn...not from our garden but from a local farmer's...our fresh tomatoes and we had some brats from a new meat market that just opened this year.  We've had fun going there on Saturdays and browsing the isles and getting some yummy findings.  But veggies aren't the only garden fun I've  had. The flowers are blooming and I planted Dahlias for the first time.

Big blooms!  They are really pretty and look cute in a vase with some other cuttings.
Even herbs look lovely in a small vase!  They smell lovely too and are right at hand for snipping and putting into a recipe.
Friday night Jack went and spent some time around a campfire...not this one...with the kids and youth leaders from Church.  So I made this little fire for Annabelle and me to sit around and enjoy.  It was a nice night but a bit on the buggy side so I didn't linger  long.  Like this fire, summer is slowly going out and August brings on the rush for school supplies, sport camps, good-byes to college bound kiddos and hello to getting ready for the colder months with putting up the harvest as it comes on.  I can't say July was filled with tons of super vacation fun but I enjoyed it just the same.  Getting projects done and being back in the groove of work has kept me busy.  Keeps Jack busy too.  As he always says, he's labor,  I'm management!  Works for me!  Bye Bye July!


5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I was just thinking about you, dear friend. I figured you'd publish a new post for Sunday. I forgot that it is also time to bid farewell to the month of July. The pictures you took of the tornadic cloud formation are pretty and, at the same time, frightening. I suppose we could call them "pretty frightening." I know your property got hit by a twister earlier in the season. I'm thankful that you were spared more damage from last week's wicked winds.

I think the orange color in your computer room looks pretty (and I don't mean "pretty frightening" :)... although it should help to get you in the mood for autumn, pumpkins and your favorite holiday, Halloween. Those green beans of yours remind me of childhood. From the 1940s through 1954, my family lived in a rural area and had a large garden in the back yard. My mother served homegrown green beans for dinner along with other vegetables harvested from out back. The food was fresh and flavorful, and that's how I learned to love veggies. Summertime in my household meant eating corn on the cob at least once a week. At that house in the country, we had a large outdoor fireplace. My folks routinely cooked corn on the cob on it. I love those beautiful flower blooms and herb cuttings! You always have your home nicely accented. Did you and my sweetie pie Annabelle tell ghost stories around the campfire? :) I'll bet the curious Yeti listened in.

Yessum, I was going to write this, but you beat me to it. With the coming of August, summer is on the run up in Ohio. Soon you will feel a nip in the air after sunset. The days will grow shorter, the nights longer and the temperature will continue on a decline until, before you know it, the snow will be flying and your kind neighbor will be plowing your drive.

Thanks for the update on life at The Pines. Have a safe and happy week, dear friend YaYa!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya. I love that orange color. It is bright and cheerful. Those fresh green beans look delicious. Fresh green beans and corn on the cob are some of the very best parts of summer. Your flowers are beautiful. Glad to hear that everything in your part of the world is going well. Have a good week. See you again soon! :-)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow...impressive clouds. Glad the tornado chose a different path. I think the new color is fun. I'm too chicken to try out bold statements....You wouldn't believe how I struggled painting the island at the lake navy LOL. Speaking of statements, that Dahlia is gorgeous. I had some planted last year but of the smaller variety, but not this year. Love your little fire circle. ~Robin~

Julia said...

The orange room looks just fine to me. I once painted our bedroom orange to encourage communication. I'm not sure if it helped but later changed it to an eggshell white.

I'm glad the tornados passed you by. I can't even think how scary they can be.
I picked a big bowl of beans after supper and will be trying my new canner tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous to try it but once I do a successful batch, I'm sure I will get used to it. I need to do some reading on how to use my canner safely.

I planted Dahlias a long time ago but haven't planted any since then.
Your rock fire pit looks inviting. I would have roasted hotdogs and marshmallows. I'm sure Annabelle would have liked a piece of hotdog.

Take care, and enjoy what is left of summer.
August is here for a very short time.

Hugs, Julia

jack69 said...

I missed this, love the pictures and the corn makes my mouth water...
I am ready for August, although I had actually forgot that July had already left.. Too busy , gotta start slowing down...
Love from NC Sherry & jack