Sunday, July 3, 2022

Oh My! It's July!

I know the official start of Summer was just a few weeks ago but it seems like it's flying by and like I said,  "Oh my, it's July!"  Not just July but almost July 4th...tomorrow anyway!  I just got home from Chicago this afternoon. I spent last week helping my sister as she's recovering from her open heart surgery.  This one has kicked her butt more than all the other things she's gone through but like the trouper she is, she's doing good and I think this next week will be her feeling more like me week.  Her kids and grandkids have been a huge support and help since this journey began and will continue to do so along the way.  Midge put in a pool in May and her family is there every day cleaning it and maintaining it so the kids can enjoy it this summer. It will be a bit before Midge will be able to use it but she enjoys seeing the kiddos having fun.

This is Ella. That's her brother Parker on the other side of the pool. Ella is a huge help with my sister's dog, Hope. Hope and Ella are so bonded it's almost like Hope is Ella's dog living with Midge! Hope will miss her buddy as Ella is going to Tennessee for 10 days to spend time at a farm/horse ranch. She's animal crazy and so in love with horses. This opportunity came up from friends of her parents so I'm really happy for her and I know she'll enjoy the experience.  Ella and I walked Hope and Annabelle almost every day and we went down to the park by the house. I remember playing there as a kiddo growing up in the neighborhood but it wasn't a manicured, playground fun spot.  It was a wooded area that had weeping willows that had us calling the spot, "Witches Willow".  Many a fun summer was spent exploring there and spinning tales to scare the younger kids.  My neighborhood was filled with kiddos and we were able to play in the streets making hop scotch games or finding an open field for a quick game of baseball.  Now there are lots of kids but you only see them from the safety of their yards, behind fences.  I do enjoy hearing the laughter coming from the neighbors but I think my childhood was more carefree and enjoyable using our imaginations for fun and roaming free.  

Hope with Ella, Parker, and Conner.

Best buddies forever! Did you ever have a pet that was your soul mate?  
The week went by fast and the ride home today was thankfully uneventful.  It was good to get home to Jack and tomorrow a few of the kids will be by for the 4th to cookout and hang out.  Plus the guys are going to help move some desks that we're getting rid of.  We're getting new windows on Thursday and Friday this week and needed to move furniture out of the way of the windows so it was a good time to make some furniture changes.  Sorry guys for making you work a little on a holiday! I promise you won't have to do it on Christmas, but I can't guarantee Halloween! Ha!  Even though we're having a quiet celebration tomorrow I do love this day and enjoy decorating in red, white, and blue and I leave it up all Summer.
Uncle Sam here has been with us for over 25yrs.  I love it! 
Kitchen fireplace gets a patriotic spruce up.
Salt and pepper shakers are used for decoration...so cute.
A few signs to brighten up a shelf.  
My dining room buffet just needs a little something to make it say July 4th...
A patriotic cake plate perhaps would do the trick...if I would put something yummy on it of course!
Finally, my back door decor says it all...God Bless America!  Have a lovely holiday tomorrow everyone and Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends today!  Be safe and be thankful for this wonderful country we live in!




 

8 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your 4th of July decor! How fun and festive. It's so good that you could go to Chicago to help your sister out. That big backyard pool she has looks so fun. I hope that you and your family have a very happy and safe Independence Day!

Julia said...

What an enjoyable post. Things seem to finally turn around for the better. I'm glad Midge is getting to feel better as time goes on.
Wow! July is already here, just like that...I love seeing the beautiful kiddos. They all look so happy. That's a good-looking pool. I've never seen one like that before.

That's funny about Hope and her new best friend. The same happened to my son's ex-girlfriend. She got a do and the dog adopted my son. lol...

You are quite spirited to come home from a trip and find the strength to transform your one into a patriotic showcase.

Happy 4th of July to you and yours. Happy celebrations.
Hugs, Julia

Julia said...

Sorry about the typos. One of my fingers is not hitting the keys hard enough and letters go missing. lol.
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow...they make above-ground pools much better these days! That wicker weave look outside is wonderful. We splurged and got a small one when my son was young and he loved it. We now have an in-ground pool and it rarely gets used. So sad. I am not a swimmer (but enjoy "wading") and have always said I love a pool just to see others in it enjoying. It's a lot of work and expense though. And it's sad, too, that the littles these days will never know the youth we had. I lived in the country so did not have the same experience as you, but spent my summer in the woods or riding for miles on my bike. We knew when we had to head home for dinner, but otherwise were free to roam. I hope the "guests" are doing the bulk of the work for tomorrow.... If not, you have a great deal more stamina and energy than I do. I couldn't be gone a week, drive home and entertain the next day LOL. Enjoy...hope you can kick back and relax at least a little. Happy Independence Day!! ~Robin~

Kathy said...

I loved your description of growing up in the country. I could imagine myself there with you, running through the willows and telling scary stories. Oh if we could only go back and appreciate all the wonderful things of our childhoods over again.

I know you will be missed. Hope your sister is doing better.

I love all your patriotic decorations!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for updating us on Midge's recovery. I'm sorry to learn that her latest operation took a lot out of her, but I am encouraged by your report that she is bouncing back nicely. Thank you for introducing Midge's grands Ella and Parker. I'm happy to know that Ella and Hope have bonded. A dog needs all the lubbins it can get. It sounds like an exciting trip is in store as Ella travels to Tennessee to experience life on a farm - slash - horse ranch. It's so neat that you and Ella took the dogs to a nicely manicured park and playground that was once a wild area that you called Witches Willow. I'm sure your happy memories of childhood flowed as you walked the dogs through that area. You betcha. The memories of youth that you and I share are of happy, carefree times being outdoors, roaming freely around our neighborhoods, into woods, parks, you name it. There was never any concern about safety like there is today. We left our doors and windows unlocked and neighbors walked into the house to visit w/o notice. It was the friendly, neighborly thing to do. Nowadays we don't spend any time at all with our neighbors. We never met most of them and don't even know their names. Sad. I love the picture of Hope dog with Ella, Parker and Conner and the one of BFFs Ella and Hope. There is no greater feeling than to love a dog and have the dog love you right back.

I hope the weather cooperates for your celebration of the 4th tomorrow with special guests Addy Rae-Rae, Lexie, Anthony and Cam (I am assuming). I hope you'll snap lotsa pictures including at least one of my smooch-pooch Annabelle. I'm excited for you guys knowing you are having new windows put in this coming week. Your place looks great with all the patriotic decorations, signage and accents.

Please get some well deserved and much needed rest tomorrow and have a very happy and thankful Independence Day, dear friend YaYa!

Shady Del Knight said...

Prayers for Highland Park, dear friend.

jack69 said...

As always enjoyed the visit. Especially the pictures, SWEET. Pools can be a LOT of work, but in the summer they are worth it. Things are crazy here. I even forgot that today was/is the 4th of July. THAT has NVER happened before. From here love ;-)