Monday, August 22, 2022

Garden Of Weedin'

I really needed to get a blog post in before this month is over.  I can't believe it's only a week away from being September.  Schools are back in session and a few signs have been showing up here at the Pines that Fall is knocking on the door.  I'll save leaf pics for a bit later but the buckeye tree has visible orange and yellow leaves that are always the first to turn.  I'm still trying to catch up on weeding and gardening.  I've been canning and mowing and trimming to keep up with the growth due to the rain and warm temps we've had.  I think I could mow 3 times a week! It's as green as Spring grass and I know I should be very thankful for that.  I'm very thankful we haven't had the devastation that Kentucky has had.  Many of the members of our Church went down south to help with the clean up.  Jack really wanted to go but I said no way.  Not with all the surgeries he's had and the work down there would be pretty challenging.   Sorry Jack! I know how you like to help in situations like that.  So this summer we've been playing catch up from not being able last year to get it all done.  Many projects to keep us busy plus a few surprises in the way of appliances having a suicide pack and deciding to all conk out at the same time!  So a new refrigerator followed by a new washing machine, followed by our van  A/C also taking a dive! Ouch! We also just replaced all our windows so our bank account is a bit bruised. But that's life and all will be good as the food stays cold, the clothes are clean, and riding in the van in the heat is comfy and we can see out the windows and know they are holding in the cool and will help in the Winter cold.  So just a few pics to show what I've been doing...which isn't much! Ha! I hope everyone is doing well and if you have a real desire to grab a few weeds I have plenty to share!

Working on the garden across our driveway.  Soon I'll have it mulched and looking much better.
Slow but sure.
These nasty pests are back....web worms.  We have to cut the branches and burn the webs...yuck!
Annabelle is happy to sit and watch me work!  She's smart like that!
Annabelle does like to explore when she's not watching me work. I had a time trying to find her one day.  Can you see that stinker in this pic? 
When I couldn't find her in the house one afternoon I looked up the stairs and saw this little face. Problem is she can't get down these stairs and we have to carry her down each time. So we have a gate to keep her downstairs when we don't want to haul her little hiney down....until we forget to close it and she troops up there.  Oh Annabelle...good thing you're cute!  So that's about all that happening for now at the Pines.  I'll finish all my weeding and will probably blog before August is over.  Annabelle and Jack both have birthdays on Thursday and we have a wedding anniversary next week. So take care everyone and enjoy these final days of summer!



8 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello and Happy Anniversary next week. That is wonderful that members of your ward went to help the flood victims in Kentucky. Looks like you have been busy. Yes, it seems like appliances all like to go out at the same time as car repairs come up. There truly is "always something." I hope you enjoy the rest of August. See you again soon!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

By the time I found your post last night, it was already late and I was tired and needed to hit the hay. I decided to sleep on it. Hope I didn't get it wrinkled.

The title of your post, "Garden of Weedin'"... reminds me of the hit song by Iron Butterfly:

In a garden of weedin', honey
Don't you know that I'm lovin' you
In a garden of weedin', baby
Don't you know that I'll always be true :)

You say fall is already knocking on the door up your way? Why not station the Yeti at the door to scare it away? :) (See, this is what happens when I stay up past midnight and get back up at 5 am.) Yessum, I am eager to see the parade of colorful autumn leaves that you will show us in the weeks to come. It's not too early to turn your attention to your favorite holiday, Halloween, and start decking the halls of The Pines accordingly.

I can imagine you up there doing all that weeding, gardening, mowing, trimming and canning. I hope Annabelle sits nearby to supervise your work.

I admire Jack for wanting to roll up his sleeves and help with the cleanup in flood ravaged Kentucky, but you were right to stop him from going, given his recent medical concerns. Yessum, I hear you about major appliances making a suicide pact. Some of ours were in on the plan.

Thanks for posting pictures of the progress you're making on that garden bed. It's looking great. I well remember those webworms making their homes in our trees. We also had them carpening our lawn several years ago and needed to have a service come and apply a chemical treatment. Ha! I promise I hadn't peeked at your post before making my comment about Annabelle supervising while you toil in the sun. There she is doing just that in your picture! I hope you rewarded her with a treat for all that hard supervising work. Oh my! I hope that rascal doesn't get lost in the Creepy Woods. She must have caught the scent of your Sasquatch in his den and decided to investigate. Gosh, that's a cute third picture of Annie, but I feel badly that she got stranded at the top of the stairs, kinda like a cat up a tree. The safety gate is a good idea to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Happy birthday to Annabelle and Jack, and happy anniversary to you and your devoted husband, dear friend YaYa! Take care at work and enjoy the rest of your week!

Shady Del Knight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
acorn hollow said...

Sounds like a busy summer and yes the appliances all decide which is going to break down together. Every blog I visit they seem to be canning I think there will full pantries all over the country this year.
Cathy

Julia said...

I'm glad you put your foot down to keep Jack from going to help in Kentucky. Sometimes the best help is to stay out of the way of those other capable bodies.

I know what you mean about trying to keep the weeds down. An unending job it is...

I need to have a few windows replaced. The big one in the office is leaking and it gets fogged up in between and always looks dirty.

I'm still canning as long as the garden produces. Today it's corn.

Hug that little Annabelle for me and here's a HUG for you. ❤️
Julia



Kay G. said...

Rain sure does make weeds grow!
Your appliances all killing themselves at the same time, they must be related to ours!!

Prims By The Water said...

Happy upcoming birthdays to Jack and Annabelle! She is such a cutie. You writing about looking for her in the house reminds me of trying to find our dog outside in the Winter as he is white. LOL Wonder if you will have the same problem with Anabelle. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

I was just about to say you are fortunate that Annabelle is white as you have a better chance of finding her, but then I read Janice's comment about the snow and, you know, she has a point LOL. But, thankfully for her, it isn't as much fun (or as easy!) to explore and hide in the cold snow. I absolutely love that Annabelle-in-camoflauge photo! And the one at the top of the stairs too...but, it makes me wonder why she can't manage the steps?? Happy Birthday wishes to both her and Jack...and Happy Anniversary to you and Jack! Yeah...those weeds.... I think I overdid the mulch hoping it would keep them at bay...but then the mulch just grows its own weeds. HATE those dang tent worms!!! ~Robin~