Sunday, January 31, 2021

 On this last day of January we were given a little more blast of Winter with some snow that quietly came in after midnight.  We woke to a few inches on the ground that brought some brightness to the cloudy day and the birds hungry to the feeder.  After a bit of a lull it started up again and we had snow falling all afternoon.  Since it's Sunday and we had no place to go and not expecting any visitors it was quiet, lovely day to stay in, stay warm and enjoy the scenery out the window.  However, I did feel the need to get my outdoor duds on and tromp around the Pines with my camera.

The welcome stone as you enter our driveway.  The little spot behind it is a quiet place to enjoy in any weather.

I peeked around the fence to see how my animal neighbors were doing.  The chickens had already visited and scratched around the snow in the back yard.  I almost forgot my walking stick!
All was quiet and all the alpacas and Temp the horse were snug in the barn. Not long after this shot I heard the kiddos who live here sounding like they were sledding or just outdoors enjoying the snowfall. Their laughter is good medicine!
I tromped around to the back and had to snap a pic of my neighbor's barn on the other side of us.  I shouldn't covet my neighbors goods but I do love this barn! 
Last weekend my son Jack was over splitting wood and mentioned he really should get this trailer up and running. He got a super deal on it but really has no place for it at his home.  I lovingly call it my yard ornament and have taken many pics of it in all weather!  Good deal or not, it should be used or maybe he should just sell it for a good deal! Ha!
On a cold, snowy day a pot of bubbly chicken and dumplings hits the spot and warms the body and soul!
Throw in a homemade from scratch chocolate layer cake and it's a  homerun! I haven't tasted it yet so maybe it could be a "foul ball"!  Anyway, the house is warm as the wood furnace hums on, and darkness has settled in on this final day of the month.  As a side note, many have asked about my blog book and where I got it printed.  If you look on my blog page in the left hand corner you'll see the "Cutestblogontheblock" sign.  It's where I get my background pics.  They will make a blog book for you.  Just follow their directions and you can also eliminate any posts you don't want printed. Sharebook used to do some books also but I'm not sure if they still do. You can always just google blog books and I bet a million sites will show up.  I've just had good luck with cutest blog on the block site. Hope that helps. I'll say bye bye with my final photo that I played around with photo shopping.

A glowing scene of our homestead here at the Pines.  Good bye January.  You gave us a few surprises and I'm hoping that's the end of that nonsense for the year.....Hello February....a blank slate.  Night all!


8 comments:

acorn hollow said...

very pretty I would love to look at that barn also. We are in for some snow Tuesday. who knows how much as they always get it wrong.
I am glad you had a peaceful day you deserve it.
cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Chocolate cake and warm food always hits the spot! Beautiful pics of the snow and love that bard. I would covet it too if it was my neighbors. Janice

Julia said...


I love that personalized rock at the entrance of the Whispering Pines. This is the first time I see it. Maybe I missed it in other posts.

It's so nice seeing bloggers taking their cameras outside in the winter. Good for you for taking your camera out in winter. I seem to only get my camera outside in spring, summer, and autumn... I fell so many times on the ice last year, ruining my shoulder that I don't dare to venture out much in the snow. I don't mend very fast anymore. I walk to the mailbox very carefully and I'm so careful of black ice...

The winter has been very mild so far and not much snow but we are expecting the same snowstorm as Cathy of Acorn Hollow and continued mild temperature for all this coming week. Groundhog won't see his shadow on Feb 2nd...

That chicken and dumpling pot is making my mouth water and the chocolate cake too. I may just buy a small chicken tomorrow. My problem of cooking for two makes a lot of leftovers. lol.

Stay well and safe.
Hugs, Julia

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

I appreciate your header message of "LOVE" spelled out in handsome earth tone blocks.

Looks like you guys are finally getting more of a taste of winter up your way, dear friend. I'll bet you and Jack are thankful for all that wood your son split for the fireplace. I trust that Jack senior continues on the road to wellness and is enjoying life a little more each day. The Pines looks all the more enchanting after a snowfall. Thanks for braving the elements to bring us pictures taken around the grounds. I know the birds were thankful they had your feeding station, and I'm happy to know the neighbor's alpacas and horse found shelter from the cold in the barn. If I were there, I'd been frolicking in that snow like a ten year old. That's how magical the white stuff is to me and how much I miss it. You took some beautiful pictures of snow scenes from new and different angles and vantage points.

I can almost smell that chicken and dumplings dish. I hope you shared some with my buddy Arnie. That cake makes my mouth water. That glowing image of The Pines is inspiring. Let our hearts be aglow with the spirit of fellowship, brotherhood and good citizenship as we wipe the slate clean and prepare to see what February has in store. Here's hoping for a continuation of your previous post's theme - pleasant surprises.

Have a wonderful week and month, dear friend YaYa!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Your property is beautiful. That chocolate cake looks mighty good. Hope you have a good week. See you again soon.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy February! I feel guilty wishing time away, but I truly do not like the months of January and February. We had a bit of snow overnight and this morning...but less than 2" I think....More on the way for later in the week. It's been such an odd winter weather-wise for us....I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall...and we have many more months in which it can drop....both the shoe and the snow LOL. Your Sunday dinner looks amazing. I can't remember the last time I have had - or made - chicken and dumplings. Looks like you have it down to an art. And that's a barn? Seriously? Move over animals, I'm moving in LOL. Happy February! ~Robin~

CHERI said...

Sure do wish I was there to play in that snow!!! But alas!!! We have had a rainy, rainy day but I like those now and then. Thanks for sharing about Cutest .... and making a blog book. I did check into that other group but they no longer do them I was told. I want to eventually get around to doing this. Can't believe January is already over! Hopefully FEb. will bring some good things...including my 2nd injection on the 8th. Although I'm a tad worried because I know several, including my sister, who had the 2nd one and got sick as a dog for a couple days or so. Neither hubby nor I make good patients and if we both get sick at the same time...well, I don't even want to think about that!!! Have a great week!

jack69 said...

I don't mind looking at snow (in pictures). Enjoyed the read and the pictures, I do especially like the welcoming stone and fence. They stand out in the snow.
I also have a thing for trailers, One here in NC and one in FL. I do use them since I no longer have a p/u truck. LOL
The best to you. Stay warm and safe. I here you might get more snow before the next months is out.
Sherry & jack in NC, no snow but to us snowbirds, it is cold. LOL.