Sunday, February 7, 2021

Brrrr...

    One week in  February done!  I really don't want to wish my life away or have it go any faster than it already does, but this short month is Winter on steroids!   The cold air has arrived and the woodstove hums along to keep us toasty. For that I'm thankful!  The other thing that makes me smile are the days we've had that lets the sun shine down.  I enjoy just sitting outside with my face to the sun and feeling it's rays.  It gives me hope that Spring will arrive no matter what that rodent in PA had to say about it!  Looking back at this week it was filled with the usual and the sad.  Yesterday my son Jackie and I went to a celebration of life for a dear childhood friend of his who passed away.  My son and Tim were good buddies from 5th grade on.  They played basketball together in high school and each spent time at each other's homes.  Tim was tall. In sixth grade he was already 6ft.  I remember my Mom visiting when Tim and Jack came home from school and Mom looking surprised at Tim and wondered if they were the same age! Jackie isn't a super small guy...he's about 5'll...with his basketball shoes on the stats would have him taller! That always made me laugh. As tall as Tim was his heart was just as big.  He and Jackie coached basketball for their kids and they kept in touch by email after Tim moved to Michigan.  It was a shock to hear that he had passed but the fact that he had committed suicide really wrenched our hearts.  You always wonder if there would have been something that we could have done.  Tim and his parents had had a falling out some years ago and I felt really bad to know that that hadn't been resolved.  So hug those close to you. Check up on people and if you notice something not quite right, maybe there could be something you could do.  However, we don't always know what goes on behind closed doors, in folks minds, or hearts.  Yesterday Tim's Mom wanted us to tell her funny stories we remembered about him.  Jackie had a few that made us laugh. I even joked that maybe I should go to the other side of the room so he could tell some stories that I didn't know had happened!  RIP Tim...you are missed by those that knew and loved you.  So as February moves on I'll just post a few pics of our days this week..

I can't take a photo of the cold but here's a shot of the snow from this past week.  I guess you could imagine the cold from a pic but with the lovely sunshine I'll just focus on the snow!

Dinner today consisted of some cornbread.
The cornbread was a good compliment to the ham, green beans and potato dish I threw together. A warm dish on a cold day!
Let's end it sweetly with a peach and berry cobbler made in a cast iron skillet..warm with the addition of some vanilla icecream perhaps?   Now on to week #2..not that I'm counting or anything. 


9 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Anything with cornbread and ham is a luxury.

Shady Del Knight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

After weeks of experiencing a relatively mild and easy winter in your area, it seems like things are back to normal, meaning that you guys are shivering and sheltering from the bitter cold and I am running the air conditioner down here. Yessum, I changed into my short sleeve shirt today and needed to run the a/c because of the warm outdoor temps. I hope you send a cold front down our way. The groundhog owes me at least five more weeks of winter.

I am shaken over the story of your son's childhood friend taking his own life. 2020 and 2021 have been unrelenting, haven't they? Many if not most of us are sad and depressed over the year-long lockdown, being separated from friends and relatives, strained relationships, financial woes and other factors. Some people handle anxiety, stress and personal problems better than others. I am terribly sorry that Tim felt he had run out of choices.

Thanks for posting those pictures. I wish I were there on your property building a snowman and searching for a slope to slide down in a metal saucer. I'm sure I'd turn into a kid again if I ever found myself in several inches of snow. Ham, green beans, potatoes and homemade cornbread are an unbeatable cold weather dinner combo. Throw in a large wedge of cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream and once again, how I wish I were there!

Let us hope for a better week ahead, YaYa, even though, the way things are going in Washington, it seems Pollyannaish. Yet, without hope for a better society and a better world, all is lost. Take good care of yourself, Jack and my buddy Arnie, dear friend!

Prims By The Water said...

BRRR is absolutely spot on. Freezing here and we have been stoking the fireplace all evening and closed up a few rooms to save on our heating bill. So sorry to hear about Tim. May he rest in peace. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

I am so sorry to read of your son's loss. It always so very tragic when someone chooses to take their own life. My son, too, recently lost a friend to suicide. I don't think people underestimate the collateral damage these lockdowns are doing. I shudder to think of all the ways that damage has manifested itself. I love the heart in the snow. A cheery splash of red in the whiteness. And you can't beat comfort food like that on cold winter days. Hope you have a good new week ahead. ~Robin~

CHERI said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your son's friend. Suicide is such a sad and horrible issue for family & friends to have to deal with. My thoughts are that when a person gets to that point, he/she is no longer in their right mind. A friend's granddaughter lives in a town not too far away and in the last few days one boy she knows committed suicide and another one tried and is not expected to live...and they are just teenagers. I fear this past year has led to a lot of depression for many people, especially teens. A friend told my husband that we might have some snow this coming weekend...don't know where he got that info but I'm not holding my breath! But I will do some wishing before the weekend:) Your supper looks warm and yummy.

acorn hollow said...

How very sad to feel that that has to be a last resort.
We are cold today a couple of inches of snow overnight so I need to get my warm clothes on and get to it. The sun is shining and does make all the difference this time of year.
Cathy

Julia said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of Jackie's childhood friend. Sometimes it's difficult to see the signs that something is wrong and there's not much a person can do, especially when they hide their pain from everyone. Everyone deals with life's difficulty differently.

Your cornbread and hot meal sounds yummy especially with cobbler and ice cream on a cold winter day.

Take care, stay safe and warm.
Hugs,
Julia



jack69 said...

It is hard to lose anyone, but suicide throws a curve at us. WHAT HAPPENED? we ask and will probably know for sure. Anyway I hte to hear that for anyone.
But on the brighter side, The ham potato and green beans LOOK GOOD!
Sending love from down here in NC.
Stay safe and warm....
Sherry & jack sending hugs, love and good thoughts your way.