Monday, February 22, 2021

Is It Almost Over?

 This last week of February probably has many asking the question...Is this horrid winter almost over? The weather has been a bit harsh, especially if you live in Texas and other southern parts that aren't used to cold and snow. Power outages and food and water shortages are not only frustrating and irritating, they are down right dangerous. So prayers for those effected by all that mess and hopefully things will be back to normal soon.  In our neck of the woods it seems we are in for a little warm up. Temps in the high 30's and even some 40's have us very happy.  Throw  in a bit of sun and man I'm over the moon!  This final week of February was always my favorite as a child.  I will call this week my birthday week! Yes, let's celebrate shall we?  Actually I won't be home for most of it. I wish I could say I was traveling to some exotic, sunny beach area but alas, no.  I'm heading off the Chicago on Wednesday to help my sister for a few days.  She's having a little surgical procedure and I'm going to take her and bring her home on Thursday and also help with her new pup...Hope.  Yes, Hope is now in her furever home along with Bella who resides at my nephew's home.  Bill drove out last Friday and picked up both dogs and then turned around and drove right back to Chicago.  I was able to go with him and his 2 daughters to pick them up and also see little Autumn who will be coming to our home on March 1st. (unless I change my mind about doing this puppy thing!) Yes, I'm a little apprehensive about bringing in a puppy with poor old Arnie.  Time will tell! Of course I'll blog about anything on that front next week. So Sunday on my b-day I will be driving back home. Jack is staying here to take care of Arnie and the house.  He's back to work almost at his regular hours!  I know he's happy to be getting back to his old normal!  So to end this post I'll just give a look see at the icicles that will soon be melting away:



Brrrr...now that's a big momma right here! It goes from the house to the top of the garage!


But no fear...as you can see there are signs of melting everywhere!  

9 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Happy early birthday! so glad you can help your sister out I know she has had some health issues. I do hope you can get your vaccine I weighted it out and for me to get covid and survive and may have long term effects was not worth it so the vaccine was the best for us and no babies here either lol.
Good luck with a pup I am not sure I have the energy for it.
Cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for the weather report, dear friend! Yessum, winter's almost over, but remember the words of Yogi Berra (not Yogi Bear): "It ain't over till it's over." I'm sure there will be some false starts until spring finally arrives for good. I dread the coming of spring to Florida. It's already getting too warm. Just think. You and I have something in common: Temps in the high 30's and even some 40's would have ME very happy, too. :)

Happy birthday week to you, dear YaYa! As the ad slogan for Clairol Loving Care insisted: "You're not getting older, you're getting better." Bless you for devoting your birthday to helping sis Midge in Chicago. Please drive safely. I am eager to see pics of your "niece dogs" Hope and Bella. I am excited to learn that you are also planning to adopt Autumn as a canine companion for Arnie. I can't wait to see pics of her as well.

Thanks for letting us know that Jack is making strides and nearly back to 100%. Be careful if you walk under those icicles. If one breaks loose it could do bodily harm.

I'll be thinking of you Sunday on your birthday. Thanks for the update, dear friend YaYa!

Jan said...

We're warming up here in North Central Texas-our snow and ice are gone, though some are still having power and water issues. Hoping that will be resolved soon. I saw an Amazon van out today, so surely that's a sign that things are getting back to normal! Our weather should stay in the 40's and 50's with rain for most of this week, though in true Texas style, it will be sunny and in the 60's today and 70's tomorrow. The weather here is never boring to say the least!

jack69 said...

YES, we will be glad to see this one behind us. We haven't been effected like many, but we have has so much water here in NC we worry about the falling trees with the ground so soaked.
Enjoyed the visit to the Whispering pines, certainly do not envy the snow.
Love from NC
Sherry & jack still wet

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, you have a lot of snow. Happy Birthday a bit early. Hope the trip to Chicago goes well and that your sister recovers quickly. Have a good week.

Julia said...

Happy Birthday on Sunday Kathy. I hope that you have a safe trip and that all goes well with your sister's operation and picking up the puppies and all... I'm sure there will be some kind of celebration for you somehow when you get back home.

I'm glad Jack is now able to return to his normal routine. That's a blessing. Oh boy! I don't think I would have the energy for a puppy either but they do grow fast and they bond for life.

Stay safe, Hugs
Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well Happiest of Birthday Weeks to you Kathy! We, too, are experiencing a warm up finally. I can't complain too much about our winter (well, at least not yet....we have had some wicked cold and incredible snows well into April some years here)....mostly (except for the past 2 weeks) fairly normal temps (which are still cold) and not too much in the way of snows. We have some mighty icicles here too...I always take that as a good sign....although they look cold (and are!), the fact that they exist means that something warmed enough for them to form. I think I have that same bird bath....although mine sprung a leak shortly after we got it so it is now a plant stand of sorts. And YAY!!! on the puppy front!! I was wondering what you ultimately decided, but somehow I knew you would. It may take some time, but I am sure Arnie will adjust. I think dogs acclimate to another canine's company much more than cats tolerate another feline's presence. Safe travels and hope your sister's proecedure goes well. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Drive safe to the windy city. We hit 49 degrees today WOOHOO! Hoping Spring is around the corner. Janice

CHERI said...

In case I miss the actual day, HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Our weather has really warmed up this week. Went to a soccer game today and people everywhere were in shorts! I, on the other hand, had on 3 layers plus a blanket! I'm not ready for summer wear yet!!! Hope you enjoy any and all dogs in your future:)