Monday, March 1, 2021

Let's Compare

 Last post I shared the icicles and snow.  So let's just compare what a few days will do.  I drove home from Chicago yesterday and the weather warmed up to almost flip flop weather!  My car thermometer read 62de at one point!  Yowsers! 

Front walk all clear! 
Just a few patches of white in the back yard.  This will be how Spring will go around these parts. Warm, rain, fog, then cold again and perhaps a snowfall again too.  But just seeing the green and feeling yesterday's warm air and sunshine says a happy farewell to February!  We will welcome in March like a lamb today.  Yes, much chillier than the weekend but nothing major so all's well that starts well.  I can't believe it's been a year since we've traveled this pandemic path.  It will be a year next week since my sister's illness changed the course of our lives as a family.  Yesterday was my birthday and it's the first one that I didn't hear my Mom's every year birthday talk.  She would always call and ask if I felt any older and then tell me that this day was just like the day I was born.  And then I would hear the story of her day and my delivery.  The outing with my Dad and my Uncle George and Aunt Gail. How they went out to dinner and she ate a delicious new salad dressing that had tons garlic!! And how she lost that garlic salad dressing in the delivery room and the reaction of the nurses! Ha! I can just imagine. Maybe that's why I do like garlic myself?  Anyway, I miss her and going to Chicago to be with my Sister was a nice way to spend time a little closer to Mom in some ways. However, I was happy to get home yesterday and be with Jack and Arnie!  Midge's surgery came out good! Now today she will meet with the kidney transplant team in Chicago and find out if she can be a candidate for a transplant and what has to happen next on this journey she's been on. Prayers for her that all will be a thumbs up and then tests for family to see if any of us can be a donor.  So although it wasn't how I usually spend my birthday I was glad to be there for her and also her new pup, Hope.  That little dog is doing great!  Almost house trained! She's really smart and a good companion to Midge.  Yes, I'm getting our new pup tomorrow.  Hopefully Autumn will be as good as Hope and my nephew's dog, Bella, have been.  
Saturday Midge and I spent the afternoon with my niece Katie and her daughter Brooke.  Midge's kids are the best and I had fun visiting with not only Kate but Amy and Billy too.  So now on to today and getting caught up with errands, and house stuff and preparing for the dog that I'll pick up tomorrow morning.  Hello March....let's be a better one this year than last year so we can compare on a good note!

9 comments:

acorn hollow said...

prayers for your sister to get a transplant. Glad you got to help your sister out. you had a very hard year for sure. Good luck with your new puppy exciting but lots of work I am sure she will keep you busy
Cathy

jack69 said...

Love the green look. LOL Oh, loved the garlic story. Funny that. GArlic was NEVER in our diet growing up, but now it goes in about every cooked meal.
The best to you and the family, Prayers, hugs and the best of wishes your way.
Sherry & jack in a rainy NC

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

Thanks for delivering this optimistic, nostalgic and at times bittersweet State of the Pines address, dear friend! A-ha -- your weather explains ours. We are close to summertime temps the last few days and I'm not liking it one bit. Please send us a major snowstorm a.s.a.p.! :)

I am very happy to learn that Midge is AOK after her procedure. I hope things continue to break her way as 2021 progresses. It made me sad to remember that this is the first year your dear mother didn't ring you up, wish you a happy birthday and reminisce about the day you were born. My heart aches for your sake because I know you miss her. Mrs. Shady is in the same boat. She was on the phone with her mom every day of her life, confiding in her and seeking advice. Her mother died in 2002 and Mrs. S hasn't been the same since.

I am very happy to know that new family dogs Hope and Bella are getting settled in their forever homes, and elated that you have chosen to open your door and your heart to Autumn. I'm confident that she and Arnie will become friends in no time. As you know, The Shady Dell was my "home away from home." Michaels Arts & Crafts is Mrs. Shady's. :) I saw the store's sign in the background of that picture.

I hope the month of March brings only good news and happiness to you and your family, dear friend YaYa!

Kay G. said...

I know what it means when that first birthday comes around and you can't speak to that very dear parent. xx
Hope all goes well for your sister.
And hope your Spring comes on a coming!!

Julia said...

I'm glad the operation went well for Midge and I hope and pray for a successful match for a kidney donor for her. Good luck with the puppy. I know that you will be a good puppy trainer.

Happy Birthday, Yaya, I hope that you are still celebrating at home with Jack. I'm sure you were missed by Jack and Arnie. My mother had a large family but she never forgot any of our birthdays or anniversaries. She always called and sent a card and she remembered all her children's phone numbers by heart... I miss her too.

Take care and I hope that March will bring us all good things like spring. Only 19 days to spring.
HUgs, Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

Happy almost spring. It is warming up here in Utah as well. Hope you enjoy the nice, warm weather. It's always fun to see what you are up to. Enjoy the rest of the week!

Prims By The Water said...

Happy belated birthday. So glad you had a nice trip with your family. Prayers for the transplant to happen soon. Janice

CHERI said...

Our weather has been crazy...flip flopping with cold, warmth, and lots of rain. Praying for your sister to be able to have her transplant. Sounds like y'all have a lot going on. But better than being bored...right?

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy March...and Happy Belated Birthday to you.... Yes, here's to a better turn of things this March. It's been a year since I have had a proper visit with my mom and this has long since gotten old. She has had COVID, she has had 2 doses of the vaccine and still I cannot see her. But at least she is still on this side unlike your dear mother, so I know I should not be so bitter. Ahhhh...you actually have green grass under that snow! Amazing...and beautiful to behold! We have finally had a few milder days temp wise and some snow has melted, but it will be a long time before it is gone like yours....our roads here in Nod are still snow covered.... And it has been relatively light in overall snowfall this year. (And we have a good 2 months of winter left here...but am bound to determine the short-lived reprieve.) I am finally reconnected to the internet and have a great deal of catching up to do, so my apologies for not responding to your comment on my last post...but, no worries at all..."Buddy" is definitely not your brother LOL. This happened down here in Nod....your brother is our "neighbor" at the lake, although I have never met him.... Perhaps that will change sometime soon. ~Robin~ (PS....Can't wait to see photos of Autumn!!!)