Saturday, March 20, 2021

First Day Of Spring

 I'm a bit behind in posting. It's been a week of busy things and decision things.  I was hesitant to write this but I have to say we had a hard decision to make regarding Lucy.  We decided to re-home our little sweet girl.  She's a wonderful dog and was even housebroke...well, at least 98%!  Very smart. The reason is more geared to me than her.  I have some health issues that I need to tackle. I've put them off thinking it would go away..not even sure we know what "it" is yet.  It's nothing life threatening!  Probably more geared to arthritis and fatigue.  I finally called my Doctor and I'll be getting some tests started next week.  Anyway, I was pushing through getting Lucy lots of exercise and training.  Arnold was the other problem.  Not getting along with her at all.  He's old and not into puppy play.  It was a battle daily to keep her from getting bit and him from being stomped on by her playfulness. My son works with a nurse who was excited to get Lucy if we decided to go that route.  After hearing about her family we said OK, lets do it. Lucy will be living in a big, beautiful home on 10 acres of land with this sweet family.  They have a 9 month old Labradoodle puppy and 2 kids, ages 11 & 14.  Her hubby is a firefighter/medic. They came by yesterday to pick Lucy up and the kids are wonderful and they have posted pics on Facebook that show her settled in and the other dog so happy to have a playmate! We feel really good about this and I know Lucy will be a much loved addition to their family.  Plus they only live about a half hour from us and I'll see pics on Facebook and can visit if we want.  So on this first day of Spring I'm hoping to get on with taking care of me and getting ready for Easter.  Here's a few pics of the past week. 

First evidence that Spring has sprung....crocus have risen!
I call these baby daffodils...the regular big ones are up but not bloomed yet.
Not sure this is a sign of Spring but Jack cut down the crabapple tree in front. It always bloomed beautifully in Spring but it has had issues and was dying. Last year hardly any blooms and molting leaves so we are replacing it with a flowering pear tree...not the fruit kind, just ornamental.  Bye bye once pretty tree.  It will now warm us in the winter for it's final showing.  
On a funny note, our little town decided to turn the town creek green on St. Patrick's Day!  It was something they wanted to do last year but because of Covid they couldn't. It was really green as you can see by the newspaper...sorry for the wrinkles but it was raining a lot on Wednesday!  So that's the news at the Pines for now.  We get our 2nd vaccine next week and warm weather is promised.  I just got a text from Lucy's owners saying she is playing outside on this beautiful day with her new playmate.  His name is Homer! I love his name but they want to keep her name Lucy and thankfully not change it to Marge like the Simpsons!  It's a good first day of Spring.


8 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I know you well, dear friend. I kept wondering why you haven't put up a post lately. I suspected that something was amiss, probably an issue with Lucy. First of all, I am sad to learn that you have been dealing with some health issues. You put them off simply because you were quite busy being a selfless, devoted caregiver to others over the past year. I hope your medical matters are not serious and can be cleared up in a jiffy so that you can go about your daily life with peace of mind (for a change). I'm thinking about you, Katie.

Secondly, my instincts about Lucy proved correct. Compatibility among all parties, human and animal, is important when a new pet is introduced to the household. It doesn't surprise me that laid-back Arnie didn't welcome a frisky, playful puppy, and as you pointed out, it was asking too much for you to take on the responsibility and expense of keeping another animal at The Pines. I am elated that you can report such a great outcome for Lucy. It sounds like Homer will be an animal buddy that can keep up with her, and the family she is now with seems genuinely caring, plus they have plenty of space for Lucy to romp. I am very happy to know you placed Lucy quickly and found her such a wonderful forever home.

Thanks for showing pictures of the first flowers of spring to bloom at The Pines and the one of the town's creek turned bright green for St. Paddy's Day. I was hoping it wasn't a terrible algae outbreak! :)

Thank you for the update. I wish you and your family all the best in the coming week. Bless you, dear friend YaYa!

Julia said...

Oh, those hard decisions...I'm sorry things didn't work out for Lucy at your home but I bet Arnol is over the moon with Lucy gone... I'm happy that she found a good home and that she's making someone happy. Now Arnol has all your attention and I'm also sorry about your health issues. I sure hope it's only old age creeping in around retirement time and nothing serious.

I'm so glad that spring has sprung but we still have lots of snow to melt but it's melting fast. The river is still frozen over and so no dying our mighty river green. It would take an awful lot of dye. lol...

Take care
Hugs, Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you found a good new home for Lucy. My husband is also getting his second vaccine next week. Our governor here in Utah opened up vaccine for everyone over 16 beginning Wednesday, so my kids who live in the state will be able to get theirs soon and I am grateful. Happy spring to you at The PInes! :-)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ahhh, Kathy....a difficult decision indeed. While old adages are not always sage ones, I do believe, in this case, it is true enough to say "all is well that ends well" and this certainly seems to have the makings to "end well." Oftentimes the "right" decision is the most difficult one to make. But you need to take care of you or you would be compromised taking care of Lucy (and/or other things) which is not fair to you, Lucy, or the other persons and things. And it is only right that Arnold is able to enjoy his final years in solitude. He had the time to "accept" and made his wishes clear. As for Lucy, it sounds like she may be the biggest winner of all. Not often things work out like that. I do hope and pray that your health matters are nothing serious and that you can find some answers and solutions. I know both the arthritis and fatigue thing...and would wish neither of them on anyone. Happy spring to you! ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

Glad she has a playmate and kids to love her. So sorry you are having health issues but best to concentrate on that.
spring has sprung here but not nearly as much as at your house we still have snow.
Cathy

jack69 said...

Good to see some spring. Always a good visit to your house. I am sure Lucy will be happy, it is always good to be loved and have a lot of room to move around. We noticed the space between posts, but it is good to hear from you.
Sherry & jack in a cool Florida (Spring ain't here yet!) KIK

Prims By The Water said...

How cool to dye the creek green. I went to Chicago once right after St Patty's Day and saw the river there green. Sorry to hear about Lucy, but glad she in a new home. Janice

CHERI said...

I'm sure it was a tough decision about Lucy but sounds like you found the perfect home for her. I did the same thing with my last dog. Our son went off to college and "Micky" actually had some sort of mental breakdown...said the vet. She was no longer house trained and was very disobedient. I was working then and so he was left alone alot. I just couldn't handle it any longer, so gave him to a family that lived in the country and had 2 children. I felt bad for a couple days but was consoled knowing it was the best thing for him. Sure hope all goes well with your medical tests. Lately it seems I've had one thing after another yet going to the dr. reveals nothing! I think it's just this past year and everything! Plus I am a huge worrier!!!! You take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing. HAPPY SPRING!