Sunday, January 24, 2021

A Few Surprises

 January in our neck of the woods can mean cold and snow.  However, looking back at old posts I'm a bit surprised to see that it's been more mild in this month than February. This month has been similar. Although a bit cold here and there.  We burn wood for heat and with Jack recouping I've taken a more active role with the wood burner and wood gathering.  I've learned more about how to keep it warm in the house than I ever wanted to know.  I found out quickly that it's easy to get burned if you don't watch out.

That will leave a mark...and that's no surprise! Yes I use long gloves but sometimes things just happen!
Anyway, Jack is doing better each day and is able to help more with the wood.  We do have a new furnace but wood is a good heat source when it's really cold out.  Our boys have been great with helping keep the wood split and ready for us.  Very grateful for that!  On a better note,  I was pleasantly surprised this week with the arrival of my blog book!

 It's always fun to get my blog in print and see it in a pretty book.  I use my blog as my journal and this year I put a dedication in it to my Mom.  I've given her books over the years and she always enjoyed getting them and reading about my life.  She didn't use the computer so this was a fun surprise for her.  I miss her and will miss sending out a copy her way. Hopefully she's seeing my life antics from the comfort of heaven!  A big surprise this past week was my sister making a quick trip here with her son, Bill.  He came to pick up Jordan's truck that they bought from him for their business.  He was originally going to drive from Chicago, get the truck, and drive back in the same day. But he surprised his Mom by telling her he would take her with after her dialysis treatment on Thursday and then they would stay over night and go home Friday morning.  We had a quick but fun visit.  I called my friend Kim who has Midge's puppy, Hope, and asked if we could come by and see her.  We did and it was so fun to see all the pups and Midge could hold little Hope and start to bond with her.  Then my nephew fell in love with one and he's getting Hope's sister and his family named this little girl Bella!
She looks a lot like her sister Hope but Bella has some white on her chest.  While we were there I noticed a tiny pup..the runt of the litter I guess , and my sister thinks we should get her. 
Her color is totally different than any of the other 14 from the litter.  She's red in color and pretty small. I'm just not sure if Arnold would like another dog in the house and I'm not sure I want to take on a pup. But the jury is still out so that means it could end up as a surprise in our house. My sister even thought of a good name for her.  Since her color is so red and fall is my favorite time of year.....Autumn would be a perfect name for this little gal.  Hmmm....still thinking!  So my nephew loaded up the truck:
Then we all sat down and had a nice dinner and fun conversation.  Well Midge and I had lots of talking to do! Bill headed up to bed and Jack retreated to the living room to let us yak the night away.  
It was a fun surprise and even if it was only for one night we had a good time.  Not sure if she'll make it out again for a bit and I'll probably take the pups to them at the end of February so we made the most of the time we had.  It's good to get surprises as long as they make you smile.  We've had a few in the last couple of months that haven't been so fun so you appreciate those small moments.  I hope everyone has a good week filled with good surprises.


14 comments:

CHERI said...

Those puppies are just adorable:) Wanted to ask you about your blog book. I think a long while back I asked you about this and you told me the company you used. But if I remember correctly (and I may not) the company wasn't doing it anymore. Can you please tell me who you used? Also, do you know if you can choose which posts you would want in your book? I have never done one and it would cost a fortune, I'm sure, to go back and have all my posts done at one time...plus there are some I wouldn't really care if they were saved. Thanks so much, Yaya, for any information. And I am so sorry about your burn...it looks painful!!! Glad Jack is doing better.

jack69 said...

Great idea of the hard copy of the Blog to make a life journal. Gotta give that some thought.
I guess it is too late to say BE CAREFUL with the furnace, you learned already. But great you are tackling the job. Good stuff.
The best to you guys, stay warm and be safe. Good to hear Jack is doing better. Notes like you book makes me angry at myself for not keeping the AOL journals.
Sherry & jack down in North Carolina.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Good surprises are fun! I get my blog printed in book form each year as well, and if fact, I am getting all my posts from last year ready to printed in book for. I would love to know what company you use to get yours printed. I have been using Blog2print for years, but I am always open to something better. That is sure a cute puppy. Glad your husband is home and doing better. Have a good week.

acorn hollow said...

ouch your arm looks sore. Those pups are so cute. But like you I am not ready to take on a puppy. so glad you had time with your sister and so glad Jack is on the mend again.
We use the wood stove to supplement the furnace. It has turned very cold here so we are thankful for the stove when the wind is howling
Cathy

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

As I mentioned last night in my reply to your comment at SPMM, I'm an old guy who gets sleepy in the evening and prefers to do my blogging in the morning after a good night's rest. Thank you for waiting for me, dear friend!

This post is loaded with interesting information. Here in Florida we often have a mild January followed by a colder February, coinciding with the conditions you are experiencing far to our north. Our state fair and Strawberry Festival are both held in February, and some years attendees are bundled up like they're at the north pole.

I'm very happy to know that Jack is doing AOK and continues to gain strength and do more around the house. Your arm looks like Mrs. Shady's. She is constantly burning herself on the stove and oven and frequently cuts herself slicing meat and veggies while preparing meals. I hope your arm heals w/o scarring. It's so nice of your sons to help split logs for the fire.

I'm happy that you received your 2020 edition of the Whispering Pines blog. You will always be thankful you preserved the history of your growing family in its printed pages. The series of documents can be shared as gifts and cherished by family members old and young. My brother never learned to use a computer. He totally rejects the idea. I try to let him know all he is missing, but he isn't interested. He would be the kind of person who would benefit from having memories printed out in book form year by year. I wish your dear mother were here to receive the gift of your 2020 volume. 2020 was a year like no other in your life, filled with drama and pathos, suffering and loss, but yours is also a story of dedication, sacrifice and triumph over hardship and tragedy. I am proud of you, dear friend.

I'm very happy to see the pic of sister Midge at the table with Jack having paid a surprise visit to The Pines. I'm also happy to know she went to spend some time with her new puppy Hope. I Hope they bonded and that Hope's sniffer will instantly remember mommy Midge when you deliver the pup to her forever home a month from now. It was nice of your nephew to pick Hope's sister Bella for his very own. Autumn, the runt of the litter, is a cutie, but she has a sad "adopt me" face. If you already have your eye on her and she already has a name, chances are good that she will join your family. Think it over carefully. Consider the breed, it's average life span, feeding and health maintenance requirements. If we had known that Toto would be plagued by rashes half her life, we might have selected a different breed, but then we would never have had our Toto, the most special dog in all the world, now immortalized on my blog. Pet ownership is a responsibility and long term commitment, but the rewards can be great for animal and human.

It's wonderful to read about some pleasant surprises in your world after so many unpleasant ones. You were long overdue. Have a safe and happy week, dear friend YaYa!

Julia said...

Sorry about the burns but keeping the house warm is a necessity in winter. I'm glad that you had a surprise visit and even though a short one, visits are especially precious these days. I miss seeing my family.
Those puppies are just so sweet but they are a lot of care.

I'm glad Jack continues to get better.
Hugs, Julia

Susan Zarzycki said...

Oh, my, that must have hurt. Take good care of yourself. I loved your newsy post about your surprise visitors. I wish I lived close by because I would take one of the puppies in a heartbeat!💖

Prims By The Water said...

What a nice surprise for sure! Autumn is also a great name for that pup. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ouch! But, there is nothing like wood heat. It seems to keep a house warmer. Growing up we always had wood heat, but here now we don't. I don't miss the "firing up" task, or the "dirt" associated with it, but when it is really, really, cold, I do miss it. Cute, cute, pups....and I'm seeing an Autumn in your future. I, too, would be interested in learning more about how you do your blog books...as I said, I had received info/ads years ago, but never seriously looked into it. However, with the growing changes in media and such, our blogs may not always be at the touch of a few keystrokes. Have a good rest of the week. ~Robin~

acorn hollow said...

did you email me?
Cathy

Susan Kane said...

Great photos. Your puppies are adorable.

Pretty decent burns there! It doesn't take much effort to get those!

acorn hollow said...

No problem with the email sorry it happened
Cathy

Donna said...

What a wonderful surprise..yes i like the ones that make you smile. so many questions regarding your Blog Book..where is this from and how did you come about this?
Those puppies are too cute...enjoy!
Donna

Kay G. said...

Oh Yaya, your poor burnt arms! Ouch! Just read your last few posts where Jack had to go back to hospital. Hope he is healing now! That little puppy the color of Autumn, I can see her becoming close to you. Does this mean you will get her? You should, I am good at seeing things and then, they happen. Wish I could see winning myself the lottery! Haha! Take great care and stay warm but watch out with fire and fire inserts!