Thursday, December 31, 2020

Almost Out Of Here

 2020 is coming to it's final hoorah.  I'm sure many are actually saying HOORAY! for this day.  I read my post from New Year's Eve 2019 and read the optimistic outlook for what I called "The Roaring 20's".  Never in my imagination did I think that statement of being roaring would be so dang true.  I always pick a word to focus on in the new year.  Last year it was CHANGE.  Again I never imagined how true that word became.  My sister's illness, surgery, kidney failure, and near death experience along with my dear Mother's falling and breaking her leg, rehab, eventual homecoming, and then her passing all made our family go through change in heartbreaking ways. My job as a  Surgical Technologist went through the changes that Covid 19 brought on.  Surgery was closed and we were reassigned to new areas and new job duties that were out of our comfort zone and, for my RN co-workers, scary as heck.  We missed our surgery "home" and friendly faces.  When we did get back the supplies were limited and we had to change a few things to help preserve them and yet keep working day to day.  In the early part of the pandemic I thought it was a bit over blown and figured it would be over soon.  Boy, I was wrong!  Soon masks were everywhere. No visitors in the hospital and nursing homes.  Not being with my Mom was the worst thing and really challenged her in her 90's to be separated from all she was familiar.  I'm glad she was able to come home and that she was able to be surrounded by loved ones, family faces, at her passing. We miss her every day.  I can't imagine how hard it would have been on Jack and I if I wasn't allowed to visit during his 17 day hospital stay.  The family being there during those stressful times can be a life saver.  When I used the word change for last year I was really focusing on my retirement plans.  I mentioned in that post I would go PRN and not truly retire. Well those plans changed as I found out I would be leaving money on the table if I did that.  So retire I did with the idea of going back in January.  That may not happen unless the hospital gives permission to have a PRN person in surgery.  So not sure about that in 2021.  I did learn many things from 2020.  I was reminded again how fragile life is and how quickly things can change.  I drew closer to God in so many ways even though Church was closed for a bit and we did more studying in our home. That was an eye opener.  You have to find your faith in Christ in yourself and not rely on others to supply it.  It's nice to have a Church meeting along with the good people who become a church family but truly you have to have your own testimony to rely on. I found out there were so many good people willing to offer up prayers in our behalf and then I was able to witness the power of those good thoughts and prayers.  Yes, I can say I have seen miracles preformed in 2020.  I have been blessed in 2020.  I have learned some wonderful lessons and have made decisions for the future that needed planned. My biggest lesson from this year for me was that "I CAN DO HARD THINGS"!  We all can when we put on our big girl..or boy, panties and get it done. So what's the word for 2021?  I'm choosing "HOPE". It's
hope in my heart that it will be a healing year for the world.  That the vaccines will indeed move us into a better place so we can gather with family and friends again.  I have hope that my sister will continue to improve as she has done since her illness happened...that a new kidney will happen for her.  I have hope for good health for Jack and I and our family.  I have hope that whatever comes our way in the new year, challenges or trials, that we can get through them with the help of God, the love of family, and the support from friends.  I wish everyone a very Happy New Year!

10 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I remember your post from a year ago this day when you looked ahead to "The Roaring 20's." They certainly did come in with a roar, didn't they? Let's hope 2021 will be much more like a lamb. If we had peered into a crystal ball a year ago and seen all that 2020 had in store for us, I'm sure many people would have curled up in a ball and refused to get out of bed. Perhaps it was better that we didn't know what was coming. One thing I do know. Whatever 2021 brings, you have proven yourself ready, willing and able to handle it. You experienced more hardships and heartbreak in one year than some people do in a lifetime. Every time the going got rougher, you got tougher. You adopted the spirit of a champion and met every challenge head-on with strength and courage, grace and dignity. My admiration knows no bounds, dear friend.

I pray for a better year for all of us. I pray for Midge and Jack. I hope someday soon we can put this terrible chapter behind us and go about our business free of masks, free of the virus and free of fear. Simply getting back to normal again will be exhilarating. Never again will we take for granted the simple pleasures of life we enjoyed before the pandemic shut us down.

I want to thank you again for another year of friendship and support, YaYa. We have been best blog buddies for many years now, approaching double digits, and I look forward to joining you and your family on your journey through 2021. Thank you very much for taking an interest in mine.

Happy New Year to you, Jack and Arnie, dear friend YaYa!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hope is a great word for the new year! I love this post. Thank you for sharing your journey during 2020. I am so glad I found your blog! Happy New Year!

acorn hollow said...

No truer statement you never know just how strong you can be until you have no other choice. I did things I never thought I would when my husband was so sick all those years ago. I do think prayers make the difference and I am so glad that Jack is on the mend. You have had a very stressful year and I will keep your sister in my prayers.
Cathy

jack69 said...

YOu definitely had a ROARING 2020. Lots fell on your plate. But prayers and good thoughts your way for a much better 2021, God is good.
Love from Florida,
Sherry & jack already hearing fireworks here.

Prims By The Water said...

Roaring 20's is a good way of putting it. Happy New Year and lets hope 2021 is a better one. Janice

Julia said...

Oh Yaya, you really summed up 2020 in a nutshell. I think that we all had to learn a hard lesson and no matter what, with God's help's we are stronger than we think. You did marvelously with all that you had to go through in 2020 and you came up on top. It certainly was a trying year for you and your family.

We make plans and God changes them because we are not in control. I love your positive attitude and I'm such an admirer of yours. Here's to HOPE, GOOD HEALTH, AND MUCH LOVE in 2021.

Happy New Year as we bravely venture out into the unknown.
Wishing you and yours, a very healthy and hopeful year.
Hugs, Julia

betty said...

You have had a very challenging 2020 with the loss of your mom, your sister's illness, and Jack's health concerns. I was reflecting on my 2020 and so thankful that we didn't lose anyone, economically everyone maintained and so much more. I was thankful for God's provision :) yet so many suffered so much. That's the part of God and his sovereignty that is hard to understand. I do like your word for the year. I went with "listen". I need to listen more. Not just in my conversations with others but listening to God more than talking to him in prayer.

Happy New Year!

betty

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy New Year Sweetpea. As you well know, I am a relative "newbie" here to your blog...and your life...and did not realize how much has happened in your world and how much you have endured and survived through this century year we call 2020. I admire your courage and faith...you are, indeed, an inspiration to the weaker ones like me. Wishing you only the best in this next adventure called 2021. ~Robin~

Kay G. said...

Yes, HOPE is the word for this year. I so much agree.
Stay strong, my friend and we will all weather the storms.
Happy New Year!

Susan Kane said...

You are not the only one who listed HOPE as the word for the year. It is a great word.