Friday, December 25, 2020

Making Merry!

 I've watched about every Scrooge movie there is this year. Jack and I have stayed in and not gathered with family like usual. This post won't be filled with photos of our gang making quite merry as Mr. Cratchet would have said.   Jack is doing quite well in his recovery but we decided not to push the envelope on Covid.  2020 has not been our best year in many ways. However, we did have a delightful day of quiet filled Christmas spirit. We opened gifts, ate good food, listened to beautiful music and watched a Christmas stocking full of Christmas movies. We watched snow fall gently and abundantly...7--8 inches...all day long.  I hope everyone has had a lovely day today.  I know there are many who did not and are struggling with feeling that Christmas Spirit. It's been a different year for sure. So I guess I'll just say: "Merry Christmas from our home to yours" and hopefully next Christmas will be better.  I will throw in a few pics though...sorry!

A few weeks ago this was the weather...sunny and 60de! Our son Phil came and split wood. See that pile to the side of him? Gone into nice split stacks and warming our home as I type. He's a sweetheart! Love this kiddo! 
Jack was even feeling good enough to come out and thank him and get a few rays! Notice he's wearing a heavy coat? He has lost a lot of weight and is cold quite often. But still getting better each day! 

I made a little change in my kitchen.  I moved the bench that was here and put my old singer as a desk for my laptop. I like it here!
The bench our son Jack made for me for Mother's day a few years ago is now in the foyer...come on in and sit a spell!
As the snow fell all night and day you can see the accumulation on the bird bath.  But we did have some entertainment watching the birds come to the feeder.

Like this little dude.  I went outside to get some snow off the feeder and it fell and broke open.  I scooped up as much of the seed as possible and put it on the deck railing until we can get a new one.
The broken feeder didn't stop them from enjoying some food on a very cold Christmas morning.
The cold didn't stop Arnie from enjoying the snow. He doesn't mind it at all. He loves to rub his face in it but as you can see it's up to his chest! 

This evening I made a couple of little peppermint milkshakes...yummy....
They helped make our spirits brighter! As Tiny Tim would say: "God Bless Us Everyone!"




8 comments:

acorn hollow said...

So very glad to hear Jack in working toward good health. That is such a blessing. Yes you have had a very hard year losing your mom too. Our Christmas was very quiet not at all what I wanted I miss family so much. I want life to get back to normal as soon as possible.
Cathy

betty said...

I can definitely see the weight loss in Jack, but its great that he continues to recover! Wow, a lot of snow, but a good day to get to spend enjoying it if you didn't have to be out and about in it! Seemed like a lovely Christmas. To a Happier New Year!

betty

joeh said...

Merry Christmas!

Wish we had a little snow, looks nice.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Looks like you had a blessed Christmas up there. Surely being forced to scale back this year, simplify, slow down and have a peaceful, quiet day of rest and reflection was good for your soul. I am very happy to learn that Jack continues to make steady progress toward recovery. He looks great in that picture you took of him weeks ago outdoors with Phil. I love how you carved out a cozy spot in your kitchen for your laptop, and a bench in the foyer is a welcoming accent.

Thanks for showing me what your white Christmas looked like. When I was a boy in York, PA, I always glanced out the window at our birdbath during a snowstorm to get an accurate idea of how many inches had accumulated and predict if I'd have a "snow day" off from school the following day. (My mom always hoped I wouldn't!) I love the shots of the pretty little birds attracted by the feeder on your property. It's kind of you to remember your feathered friends during winter. Every dog I ever knew up north loved to dig its snout into the snow. It's wonderful to see Arnie enjoying the white stuff. I wish I could taste that peppermint milkshake. I never had a shake of that flavor.

Thanks again for inviting us to Christmas at The Pines, dear friend YaYa. I wish you and Jack a safe and happy holiday weekend!

jack69 said...

Like the pictures of Phil and Jack (and the rest of course) BUT the Singer with the lap top was the best. Mama sewed many years on an ond treadle machine. My fingers got mashed a couple times crawling around her feet.
Anyway, Love your way from a cold Florida
Sherry & jack

Prims By The Water said...

What a nice way to repurpose a sewing machine. Everything looks so merry and bright. Glad you had a nice White Christmas! Janice

Julia said...

I must tell you that I'm so envious of your old Signer Sewing machine. I have sewed to my little heart's content on one of those when I was a youngster and even though they don't have those fancy stitches they work beautifully. I love the simple life anyway.

I'm sorry about the bird feeder but like you said the birds didn't mind at all.

Like you, we had a lovely Christmas day but low key although we had all the traditional Christmas food. We asked for no gifts again this year and instead, the kids bought meals for the needy in our name and that makes me feel good but my daughter Jackie, couldn't break her tradition of getting us a puzzle for Christmas and that's perfectly OK with me. George and I just finished it this evening.

Stay safe and well.
HUgs, Julia

TheCrankyCrow said...

It sounds like a peaceful and wonderful holiday to me. We always have a white Christmas (surprise, surprise)...even this year although not as much as you have (truly surprising), but it seems like we have never really had a huge amount of snow on Christmas Eve/Day.... I always thought that would be storybook-ish to be snowed in with those you love on Christmas. But, alas...in Wisconsin, there is always snow in winter, but rarely are we truly "snowed in" LOL. I love the sewing machine desk. Wish I had room for that in my kitchen. My ipad is always sitting on the end of our kitchen counter it seems... Unsightly. And whenever I see a sewing cabinet like that I can't help but be sad. My dad's mother and father and only brother died long, long, before he had children, so the only family on that side that I knew were "extended." My favorite person of all, though, was my great grandmother... She had gorgeous snow white hair worn in a thick bun and was incredibly gifted with her sewing skills up until her death. When her last daughter (my great aunt) died, I went to her estate auction...and there was my great grandmother's sewing machine. I had my heart set on it, but my brother-in-law had me take something to the car and I didn't think they would get to it while I was away, but they did. Oh how I rue that!! All the drawers were still packed with her "treasures," and I heard it went for a song, but I could never track down the person who purchased it. Sad me. Anywho...I enjoyed the photos....and your cheer. ~Robin~