Saturday, December 19, 2020

Moving Into Winter

 Monday will move us formally into the Winter Season.  We've had a couple of snowfalls that made us feel that Winter is upon us. We didn't get the massive snowfall that those farther East received but it wasn't too shabby either! I think maybe we got 4-5 inches.  The other day I took a stroll up to the Creepy Woods close to sundown.  Although the temps were around 30 there was no wind and that made it quite pleasant to wander. I had my trusty companion, my camera, along.  In the quiet white stillness Winter has it's own beauty.  No excitement that Spring brings with new life and the lovely smell of fresh dirt and pretty flowers popping up.  Not the green of a lush Summer day sprinkled with sunshine, heat and sometimes humidity that we like to complain about in Ohio. None of the explosion of color that accompanies Fall as Mother Nature gives us that last blast of beauty.  This is the season of gray skies, white fields, blankets of snow that cover the pines and naked branches on the trees. The bird feeder is attracting the Winter birds who brave the cold and stop by for a snack.  There are many who don't enjoy Winter cold and snow. Those folks who worry about ice and driving and staying indoors more.  The seniors who migrate down to warmer climes.  I totally understand and some days during this time I think I would enjoy a warm day on a beach filled with sunlight! But for now I'll be enjoying this other beauty. Maybe because I feel I'm slowly entering the Winter of my life and hope I can appreciate the white beauty of hair without miss Clairol...one day when I'm ready for that change! (Not there yet though!)  Walking slower, doing less, having memories that will help keep me warm when the days stretch out bone chilling and gray. For today I'll just wander the Pines and enjoy the quiet beauty that is Winter.  

I jokingly call this trailer my lawn ornament.  It's just waiting for someone to fill it up and tow it someplace!
The pine trees all frosted.
Tracks in the snow that let me know I'm not the first today to visit the woods.
The quiet whiteness.
The paths that lead back to home.
The woods decorated in the colors of the season! The red just stands out and brings life to the starkness.

The neighbor's barn stands out in the snow and keeps the animals inside cozy and warm.  At least that's what I'm assuming since none of them were out like me walking and enjoying the snowfall!
I eventually came in from the cold and watched the snow gently fall.  It was a lovely afternoon and coming in and enjoying the delish smell of dinner in the oven and the warmth brought on by our wood burning furnace made me happy to be here, in our home, this almost Winter day.  Come on by.  You may not be able to come in because of the times of this year but I'll leave a light on for you to let you know all will be good eventually. 


13 comments:

joeh said...

Walking in a fresh snow is the best.

betty said...

So pretty and you wrote this so elegantly! Enjoyed reading it all!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

You waxed philosophical and poetic in this essay on the approach of winter in Ohio, dear friend. Through your words and pictures, I accompanied you on that stroll around your property and through The Creepy Woods. Although it has been many decades, I still remember what it is like to experience the sound of silence in a rural setting as the blanket of snow brings peace and calm to the land. My folks used to have to drag me back indoors at night during winter because I loved the cold and stayed outside hour after hour. These many years in Florida I have been missing winter temperatures and snow. Thanks to friends like you and posts like this one, I am right back there in my youth up north, living each moment as it comes and happy and thankful just to be alive.

I hope Jack is doing better day by day and that you and he will have a wonderful Christmas in your empty nest. Bless you both (and Arnie).

Julia said...

How beautifully you wrote this post. It makes me want to join you in that walk in the snow-covered creepy wood. Seeing beauty wherever you can find it is an asset. Living in the moment in gratitude is one way of harnessing joy. Remember the promise that lives under the snow and frozen ground. Hope springs eternal. I enjoyed your post and positive attitude.
Stay safe and well and cuddle with Jack to keep warm.
Hugs Julia

jack69 said...

Enjoyed the post and the pictures. Snow hasn't been a part of our lives for a few years. But WINTER has. Well the winter of our lives is here along with a little too cool weather down here in Florida, but we are glad it is not snow, HOWEVER we do love it in pictures. ;=)
Sherry & jack Be safe... And hug Jack carefully! ;-)

acorn hollow said...

Lovely post and thoughtful. I embraced the white hair when covid hit I find I love the freedom it brings of not chasing the roots and for some reason my hair is fuller and thicker.
Winter is here we got 17 inches but two towns over got 48 inches way more than I want to deal with.
This Christmas is very different but we have been here before when my husband was sick and we were quarantined then.
Merry Christmas
Cathy

Kathy said...

This is a beautiful post. I felt as if I were there walking beside you. You did invite me right? I am not a snow person, but you made me want to be. Thank you for this and the lovely pictures that you showed along with it. Enjoy your winter.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such a thoughtful post filled with beautiful photos and gentle words and thoughts. Although I live in one of the "winteriest" places (usually!) in the country, I am not a fan of winter...the cold or the snow...but I do appreciate it's beauty and cannot imagine life without seasons. And we had a small amount of snow overnight and as I lay in bed this morning, I smiled at that hushed quiet it brings.... I can tell if it has snowed without even looking outside...and there are rare moments when its peace and inimitable quiet allow me to truly sleep. I have not even looked at a forecast...for weeks now actually. I think I heard someone say we are supposed to get very cold again...the kind of cold where, as my mum would say, "it's too cold to snow." Right now, though, it is just the gray skies, early darkness and dampness that mark the days. Wishing you almost-Sunday Blessings ~Robin~

Deb J. in Utah said...

A beautiful snow fall and a beautiful post. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

Prims By The Water said...

This is the first year in quite awhile we will have snow for Christmas. Janice

Ibu said...

Hi Yaya...It's nice to come and visit your blog again after so so long.... as always your pieces are so beautiful.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Beautiful words and photos YaYa. Merry Christmas to you, and may you always be surrounded in beauty.
Andrea

CHERI said...

Oh, all that snow is so beautiful. Sure wish we had some but we get only a little bit of snow every several/many years. Boy! Do we get excited when it does come though:) Hoping you and your sweet hubby had a lovely Christmas Day. So hard to believe it's over...where does the time go? I'm already missing the smiles on the grandkids' faces when they opened all their gifts this morning. But...Christmas 2021 will be here before I know it! Happy New Year, Yaya...sure hope it's good to all of us!