Saturday, September 5, 2020

Big Whiner!

 I'm going to sound like a big complainer in this post.  Well, at least in the beginning of the post.  Had I known how many forms I would be filling out, how much time I would be spending on the phone..on hold most of time (yes, I know my call is important to you and I love the piped in music choice)...and how slow the processes work just to leave employment behind, I would have stayed employed until I was taken out feet first.  Ok, Ok, a little dramatic there..sorry!  I have given my name, age, birth date, social security number..which I thought was a classified secret...NOT...and ditto that for Jack's info and he hasn't even retired yet...to most of America and I'm suspecting a good portion of some foreign country judging by the accents that were not easy to understand.  Plus 99.9% of human resource, insurance, investments and medicare and social security folks are working from home.  Many times the phone connections aren't great and the crying baby or barking dog are give aways.  My favorite was the one sleeping. I called twice because the first time nobody answered and the second time she was really confused like I am when I get awakened by a phone call.  I also love when I give all the info asked for and at the end of the call they repeat it back and it's all wrong..twice.  Maybe I have bad phone connections or my Ohio accent is tricky. Whatever.  My other favorite thing...then I'll move on I promise..is when I have filled out all the forms, mailed them in and await the requests to be mailed back only to get a letter thanking me for doing all that and if I would just give them a call at 800-yada, yada, yada...they will happily answer all my questions.  Wait, What??? You couldn't have told me that in the first place? Seriously?  End of rant. Thanks for listening/reading today!  So is there anything good about being retired so far?  Yes, actually.  I'm enjoying going for a morning walk every day.  I put in my ear thingies, turn on the music and enjoy getting back into a walking routine.  I'm starting out slow...2 miles a day so far..and I'll start increasing my distance next week. Hey, I'm working here with 2 fake knees so cut me some slack!  I've been able to tell workers, or friends or my hair dresser that any time works for me for appointments.  I can have family visits or trips without getting out a form and hoping there's nobody ahead of me for that time!  I'm able to work on my yard and gardens and spend time with Arnie as he recoups from  his doggy knee surgery.  I can sleep in until 6 and even later on the weekends.  So life is good so far.  I was joking that retirement has taken away my love of Fridays, 3 day weekends, and low census days. Heck, everyday is Saturday with Sunday on the end! Ha!  So no more whining for today!  Here's a few pics from last weekend when we had the kids over for lunch on Sunday.  

My Granddaughter, Driana, with her fiance, Jon.  I was happy they could make it. Driana just got her RN and is working at a hospital in Cleveland but had Sunday off.  It was fun to spend time with them.
They enjoyed meeting Temp, my neighbors horse and also seeing the Alpacas.

Hello neighbor!

It was a beautiful day and after lunch we spent time on the deck and in the yard. Jackie got a new guitar that he brought to show his brother, Phil.  Phil can play really well and I think was giving a lesson here. 
Granddaughter Rae just hanging out. 
Driana was taking her turn on my little toy! Love that bike!  But what I really love is having the kids come and eat and play! They were fun as littles and fun as big kiddos! A win-win!  One final pic that made me smile.  I love the Fall season and Halloween is a biggie fav at the Pines.  We saw this at Home Depot last week:

It was hard not to buy this guy...The big skeleton, not the guy in the mask! But I did resist....sigh. Have a good week!

10 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I don't know what you're complaining about, dear friend. Filling out forms is my second favorite thing to do. My first favorite thing is to catch bowling balls with my teeth. :) I'm sorry you often find yourself immersed in red tape and dealing with hard to understand phone reps. I don't do a very good job of controlling my state of mind when I am placed on infinite hold or passed along from one person to another, requiring me to repeat all my info to the second person, the third, etc. etc. Unfortunately those are only a couple of the ways your retirement time gets gobbled up.

I'm glad you are taking daily walks, dear friend. Two miles is an impressive hike, and the weather should be cooling down and the fall leaves coming into their glory, giving you lots to look forward to. I hope Arnie's leg heals in time for him to go along with you on your treks.

I gotta say, that's a terrific picture of Driana and Jon! They look happy and that makes me happy, too. I applaud your grandkiddo for getting into nursing, a field that desperately needs good people like her. I enjoyed seeing the pics of the happy couple visiting your neighbor's horse and alpaca. I wish you would have taken Dri and Jon into the Creepy Woods to meet the yeti. That would have been another excellent photo op. I wish I were there on your deck to listen to Phil strumming the guitar and teaching Jack, Jr. to play. I am always delighted to see pics of the grandkiddo with the ever-changing name - Addy Rae Rae.

Our local Home Depot has that giant skeleton and other jumbo size H-ween decorations, and Wal-mart will probably offer their 12-foot tall witches again this year. I haven't been shopping there in a while so I can't be sure.

Thanks for reporting in, dear friend YaYa, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Deb J. in Utah said...

My husband retired at the end of the school year. He is not applying Medicare because he will be 65 in October. Yep, that is a pain too. He isn't going to take Social Security for a while. Glad you are finding some things you are enjoying. You have a lovely family - so glad you could all get together. Enjoy the rest of the long weekend - and you retirement. :-)

betty said...

Mess with forms for unemployment and if you get any of the info wrong good luck trying to have it corrected and benefits can get held if mistakes were made on the initial form. Despite multiple hiring of phone help it is next to impossible to talk to a rep to try to fix anything. So I can understand your venting with the paperwork you have had to do. Looked like a lovely time with family!

Betty

acorn hollow said...

I know there is so much paperwork to everything now. Your grands are all grown up!
But still fun to be with.
Cathy

jack69 said...

Yep there is that (paperwork) but it is worth it. Love the pics. I will be glad when this computer problem (here) and Covick is over It has increased the 'phone calls and waiting. MIne is WAITING and I am tired of it. LOL
from NC
Sherry & jack

Kay G. said...

I feel for you, honey! Richard will be turning 65 soon and just the few things that we have looked at has us so confused! Good luck with your walking! I have been on a walking program since mid Feb. and I try to walk 2 miles every day but try to walk 3 or 4 every other day. Hard to do when you work 8 hours a day!! If I ever understand how to retire, I will do so when I get to 65! Happy days to you!!

CHERI said...

Oh I do remember all the paper work for retirement. Fortunately, a lady at our Board of Ed office helped a LOT! But then when it came time to apply for Medicare....TALK ABOUT A HEADACHE!!!! One person would tell me one thing, another person would tell me another. And trying to coordinate with my husband's company...that was the biggest headache of all. To this day I'm not sure I did all the right things but you just get to a point where you have to take a deep breath and jump in! And pray that you listened to the right person!!!!! But as you said...there are a lot of good things about retirement. Your family looks like so much fun. So enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Julia said...

I had left a comment here before but somehow it didn't go through due to some technical difficulty I think.

One of the things I hate to do is filling forms. It seems to me that when I turned 65 I had a lot of forms to fill also but I went right to the source and got them to do most of the filling. Somehow we all survive. There are also many forms to fill when a loved one dies. And taxes are another thing.

Enjoy your retirement.
Hugs, Julia

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542

Bajaj said...

Great blog post, thanks for sharing