Sunday, October 6, 2019

October..It's The Best!

I haven't blogged in a bit and in fact it was September the last time around.  Happy October! We had a very hot start to this month and I was thinking that Mother Nature forgot it was Fall up here.  Finally, we got some rain along with cool temps.  90de in October is a bit much! But I tried not to complain because in a few months the cold will hit and I might be wishing for a bit of warmth!  Anyway, it's been a super busy time at work. We're changing computer systems on top of regular craziness.  I find myself super tired at the end of the day. One day I hit the hay at 6pm! I'm on call this weekend and usually it's only a few cases or none at all....except for this weekend where I did 6 cases and would have done one more but it got cancelled.  Cancelectomy is my favorite surgery! Ha! Anyway, I'm hoping to get through this night without getting called in. The only time I really look forward to a Monday morning is knowing my call weekend is over! Whew!  It wasn't a total washout weekend however.  Here are just a few pics of my days since last blogging:
My Mom used to make these every Fall...apple slices she called them. It's an amazing giant apple pie with a delish glaze...yum! I made one but changed the pie crust recipe and wasn't happy with it.  I took it to work and explained it wasn't my best work.  They devoured it! Said it was great...OK, I will make it with my tried and true crust next time though!
A walk in the Creepy Woods shows a bit of color.  Probably the next few weeks will have the best shades. With the hot weather so late this year, I do hope it doesn't ruin the leaves!
During my walk I found this unusual growth among the fallen leaves..yep, the elusive golf ball!
Even the weeds look pretty in the Fall!  Saturday found us with family celebrating our Granddaughter's 11th birthday...Happy Birthday Rae Rae!



She gets excited by every gift, screams with delight,  jumps up to thank the giver, hugs them, and just enjoys every moment...love this kiddo!
Her favorite gift however is her new kitty...Tucker! Welcome to the family sweet black Halloween cat! 
 Last but not least, I won a super cute pillow from Janice at primsbythewater.blogspot.com:
When I opened the box Jack just laughed and said, "she must know you pretty good!"  Yep, I'm a witchy kind of gal! Thanks Janice! She's so cute and will have a happy home here! She'll fit in with all my witches..here's just a few:



Yep, it's Halloween! So do what this sign says:
Enjoy October...it's the best!


10 comments:

jack69 said...

Love the family pictures and comments. Yep Fall is great. That is an amazing plant you found, that sucker looks a lot like a ball! Looks like a great apple pie presentation. Yep we cna improve on old recipes (sometimes) but at others not so well. Hope you are not called in at the wrong time.
Love from NC
Sherry & jack

gin said...

Another grand happy birthday!!! How great for you to win a witch. Can’t wait to see all your Halloween doings!!

betty said...

So cute with the pillow you won and your other witch decorations! Happy belated birthday to your grand daughter! She looks like a very sweet young lady! Love your new blog header; appropriate for Halloween and your career! I did hear your part of the country was experiencing hotter than normal weather. Glad things are cooling down a bit!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Looks like somebody's been on a crash diet, dear friend! :) I'm happy to know that fall weather has arrived at The Pines. Here in Florida, 90 degrees in October is the norm. I'm sorry you are slammed at work and needing to hit the hay as early as 6 pm. I remember going to bed every night at 8 pm for an entire year as an experiment to see if it would improve my energy level during the day. It didn't. I'm glad you had at least one cancelectomy.

I'm pretty sure I could consume that giant apple pie all by myself. I'd sure like to try. Finding a golf ball in the Creepy Woods should not surprise you. You happened to be trespassing on the "back nine" of the yeti's golf course. :)

Its good to see Rae Rae Addy again. Happy 11th birthday, dearie! What a sweet girl! I hope she enjoys her new kitty Tucker. I always favored black cats. My aunt had one named Felix and a white one named Sam. That witch pillow is gorgeous, YaYa! I'd love to decorate with one of those. You've got a growing coven at your house. The "Fall in love" art is also a beautiful seasonal accent.

Thanks for bringing us up to date, dear friend YaYa. I wish you a much more sane and sensible week ahead!

acorn hollow said...

Wonderful to see your family gatherings and a great gift for a little girl a black cat.
congrats on your win she is super witchy. The pie looked good but we always know what our best baking is.
cathy

Julia said...

That apple dessert looks yummy. They must love you at work for bringing in some of your baking.
By the look of the starving staff, I think that you should bring some dessert more often, lol...
Happy Birthday to Rae. She is growing so fast. I love the cute black kitty. I once had one that we named Kitty. I love that cat.

I'm so glad that you won that witch. She fits right in with the others.

Take care and enjoy Autumn. Here the leaves are falling off the big tree in the front yard and it's raining today.
I hope that you can get some rest this week.
Hugs, Julia

joeh said...

Being on call must be like watching the snow come down and hoping school is cancelled.

CHERI said...

Life sure can get busy, can't it? I have been late in posting also (finally did today). It's hard to keep up, and I'M RETIRED AND SUPPOSED TO HAVE LOTS OF TIME TO DO NOTHING!!!! (Wow, was I mistaken about that:) But I'm glad to be busy. Your post has reminded me I need to get up Halloween decorations before my granddaughter gets on to me!!! It's still not feeling a whole lot like fall here but it is at least in the 80s today instead of the upper 90s, so I won't complain!!! Now...if it would only rain!!!!!

Prims By The Water said...

Glad you liked the witchy pillow. It was meant to be yours. Glad your call weekend is over. Love me a great apple anything...hmmm maybe I should make an apple recipe this weekend. Happy Birthday to Rae! Love your other Halloween decor too! Janice

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I agree, October is best! The fall colors are so beautiful and the crispness in the air is marvelous. I love making a big slab pie like that in an 18x13x1-inch half sheet pan. And it's always nice when "not your best work" is declared great by those eating it!