Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Beauty Of Blogging

I don't usually give book reviews on my blog but I wanted to recommend a book I just finished. "Home Front Girls" is a book about 2 women who forge a friendship during WWII by sending letters back and forth while their husbands are away fighting. They bond by the stress, the circumstances they find themselves in, and the loneliness they go through waiting for word of their loved ones. It struck me while I was reading that blogging is very similar to being a pen pal of sorts.  I blog as a way of journal writing for my family.  I never expected to have "followers" or to be a follower of blogs. But as time has gone by...11yrs so far....I find the nice thing about blogging is meeting people in blog land that may share similar values or stories, but more than not I've found folks that are totally different than me in many ways.  I've met writers, musicians, gardeners, crafters, nurses, teachers, and many retired folks.  I've never met any in person.  This book has 2 authors.  I wondered why and reading about them I found out they never met in person while writing this book!  They found each other by blogging.  They soon forged a friendship and wrote this book together.  They didn't even meet until well after the book was published.  Hmmmm....I may never meet any of my blog buddies in person but I hope if I did it would be a good experience and one where we wouldn't be too disappointed in each other! Ha!  Anyway, I'm sure this book would be enjoyed by the women in my blog life more than the men, but it's a good one anyway and I think you would realize like I did that blogging does have it's beauty in forging friendships.  So here's my blog news this week from the Pines...As this Fall season is passing I'm delighted to see how we're finally getting some really nice leaf colors.  The weather has been warm to cool and then today we woke up to this:



That's frost on the ground...spotty but nevertheless chilly!

 Ice was in the birdbath but the geraniums didn't seem to mind!
The dogwoods are red but I still have flowers along the walkway. Hi Arnie!
Brilliant in fall colors.
Pumpkins on the porch are frost free but the mums are slowly fading.
Picked some veggies that were still on the vine. The pepper has it's own personality I think!
My only hydrangea bloom this year, picked in the nick of time before Jack Frost found it! I hope your Fall is a beautiful one. We're heading out tomorrow to go visit my Mom and family for a few days. #2 son is flying in from Oregon for business in Chicago so we'll spend some time with him too! I'm sure I'll have a few things to blog about.  In the mean time:
You're welcome to come in on the frosty path my blog buddies...just wait a few days until we get back! Have a good week!

10 comments:

betty said...

Enjoy your visit with your mom and family! Brr with the frost! And we are "grateful" here because we finally have a few days that aren't in the 90s but the 80s (LOL) Sounds like an interesting book; I'm going to check it out. Some of my bestest (I guess that's not really a word) are the people I've met through blogging. I've shared things with them that I haven't even shared with my family. Its an incredible bond people in blogging have that people who do't blog don't get.

betty

Kathy said...

That book sounds really interesting. I think I will be buying it after I get paid next month. I have met only one blogging friend in person, but I have become close friends with several of my blogging buddies. People who don't blog don't seem to understand how relationships can be built. When I was younger I had about 20 penpals and for years I have said Blogging is a lot like that.

You can keep your frost on the ground, but I do love the colors you have. Not so much going on here. Our trees usually start turning color in November. Everything is still green here.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for doing a review of that book. It amazes me that the two authors collaborated and completed the book without ever having met in person. I'll bet your mother would enjoy reading that book.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures taken around your house and property. The ice in the birdbath brings back memories of my family's birdbath back home. In winter the birds would come and peck through the ice just to get a drink if not a bath. Your flowers are stunning and the pumpkin display delightful. You are all set for Halloween. I only wish your kitty were still alive along with my good buddy Eddy whom I will remember always. I agree that there is something very worthwhile about blogging. Week by week, month by month and year by year we follow each other's lives. I appreciate the thread of continuity and the opportunity to feel like I am part of your family, the kind of family anyone would be proud to have. Please drive safely over to Chicago and back. I hope you find your mother and sister in good health and I look forward to the show and tell upon your return.

Blessings to you, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

I will have to look for that book sounds interesting. I have met several of my blog followers and they have been wonderful! If you come to New Hampshire next year for fall let me know I would love to be the first one you have met.
Cathy

jack69 said...

That is so true about blogging. We started to keep in touch with our family as we travel. Funny, when I read the title I said that is my tomorrow's entry. I have been idly making notes of my blogging buddies. We are slowly ending our traveling. We have been fortunate to meet several of our friends from bloggersville, and we still treasure that time in memory.
Good read and love the pictures!
From North Carolina, Sherry & jack

Julia said...

You've made an interesting observation. Blogging is somewhat like being penpals. We have connected with people with totally different views and backgrounds than us but somehow, we care deeply about them, well, at least I do.

I have met several of my blogging boddies and it was a wonderful experience. It felt like meeting an old friend when we met.

Our leaves have fallen a lot during this last rain and wind storm and it's looking a little drabber but there's still enough fall colors here and there. Today is a beautiful sunny day and blue sky. Enjoy the beautiful colors while they last.

I wish you a wonderful visit with your Mom. Give her a hug from this admiring blogger friend.
Hugs, Julia

Kay G. said...

Two blogging friends writing a book together, that's wonderful!
Okay, what book shall we write together? The way that I am going, I will have to write a book with you about the great people from OHIO, it seems I am often going on and and on about them! LOL! Wish I COULD meet my blogging friends, you being one of them. xxx

Prims By The Water said...

Sounds like a good read! Thanks for sharing. We had frost this week too. Not a hard one yet, but frost nonetheless. Janice

gin said...

Love the book review! Enjoy your visit with your mom, sister, and son. Can’t wait to hear about it.

CHERI said...

Can't believe you already have had frost!!!! Seems unreal to live in the same country and have such varying types of weather. It's still in the 80s here, but I'm trying not to complain because 80s are better than 90s!!!!