Sunday, October 13, 2019

A Few Tricks And Lots Of Treats!

This weekend was just a picture perfect Fall weather weekend.  We did get a little rain but it was during the night so no harm there! We had our annual Halloween family party today.  Some of the usual players couldn't be here and we really missed them. Anthony had to work, and Cameron was with his Mom at his other Grandparents home.  My Daughter-in-law, Evelyn, was out of town. I didn't plan this until late last week and as the kiddos get bigger it's hard to gather them all together.  But those that were able to make it had a fun day...at least that's what they said!  We had a full menu of wings and sloppy joe along with mac n' cheese, salad, and an assortment of fun Halloween desserts!
My Granddaughter, Summer, made this cute spinach dip spider!  She and her long time boyfriend just got engaged last week! We love these kids and are so happy for them.  I can't believe I have a grand kiddo that will be married...sheesh, I'm getting old!
These two sisters are still young..thank goodness!  Rae Rae and Lexi are a ton of fun!  Every year I try and do something different for this party. It was easy when they were little but now I have to get more creative.  This year we had a scavenger hunt in the Creepy Woods.  Since it was daylight it wasn't too scary!
We made 2 cemeteries....that was the starting point with Halloween music playing from an unknown place...boooo!
Cemetery #2...Dead ahead!
With a cackle and flashing eyes, this witchy gal greeted them!
There were 15 items they had to find...bones, bats, witches hats...to name a few! Plus they had to gather as many golf balls as they could find. The boys hit golf balls in the summer and we find tons up in the woods so it was a no brainer to have the kids gather what they could find. (We threw in a few extra just to make it interesting)
The happy hunters on the way back down from the Creepy Woods..no lost souls today!
Afterwards it was time to get prizes and candy...yum! The girls little sister, Aria, came along too.  She's the daughter of Phil's ex-wife, Amanda. Folks may think it's strange that we always invite her and her hubby along but they're all friends and it makes the kids happy.  I'm all for it!
Can't forget a ride around the Pines with PawPaw...they love that old Gator!  (I'm talking about the machine..not Jack! Although they do love him too!)
The treats were delish, the tricks were fun.  Another Halloween gathering for the books.  I wish I could bottle these days.  The kids are getting older...me too! But hopefully they will have wonderful memories of these silly days where we all can be like little kids! 

12 comments:

betty said...

Looks like lots of fun! You are so creative with what you come up with as far as activities and food to serve! Congrats to your granddaughter on her engagement! Exciting times ahead for sure!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Your header picture leads me to believe you are still on that crash diet. :) I'm happy to learn that you are enjoying perfect fall weather and not sweltering or shoveling snow. Hats off to grandkiddo Summer for making that Halloweeny spinach dip spider, and congratulations on her engagement! It's a pleasure to see that birthday girl Addy Rae Rae made it to your spook party this year along with sister Lexi. Holding a scavenger hunt in The Creepy Woods was a wonderful idea. By the way, I lost my Ace comb in those woods back in 1957. Did anyone happen to find it? Your Lost Souls Cemetery, the spooky sign and the cackling witch were great touches to enhance the fun and excitement for everybody taking part in the hunt. I'll bet those scary props even gave the Yeti a fright. I'm pleased to know that you welcome Aria, Amanda and her husband to family events like this one. It's the decent and civilized thing to do. My uncle Johnny used to take us for rides around his farm in a cart drawn by a tractor. Thanks for bringing back that fond memory. I'm very happy to know that your Halloween family party was a success. I'm sure the grandkiddos will appreciate you for taking pictures and documenting these good times in your family's history.

Have a wonderful week, dear friend YaYa!

joeh said...

Kids and Halloween, a fun combo.

acorn hollow said...

you have made wonderful memories with your kids and grands. I love that you all do so well with the ex. It is good for the kids to see.
Cathy

Julia said...

I love your Halloween parties and I think you are one of the most fun grandmas in the world. I know a few who go all the way for their grandkid too. I love your maid with her red eyes. You are very creative. The spinach dip is very tempting. My grandkids are all older except the two who live far away. We don't get any Halloween visitors anymore in our neighborhood.

I hope you get some fall colors soon. Our leaves are starting to fall now. I dread the snow and cold weather though.
Today we are celebrating Thanksgiving.
Hugs, Julia

jack69 said...

Thanks for inviting us to the party, what a party. I think it is wonderful to have FAMILY things that the kids will always remember. You guys go all out. Good stuff.
Sending love your way,
Sherry & jack

Prims By The Water said...

LOVE LOVE it all! You did an awesome job! Even that spider dip is spooky! We use to do Easter egg hunts when my grands were little. It was so much fun, so I know your creepy woods scavenger hunt was great. Also a clever idea to have them pick up golf balls too. Janice

Haddock said...

That witchy gal (with cackle and flashing eyes) looks almost real.

CHERI said...

You certainly "spooked" everything up. I know the grands loved it!!! I finally got out the Halloween decorations, but it's still been so hot and dry here I really haven't felt the effects of fall!!!! The scavenger hunt sounds awesome. My grands have always loved scavenger hunts!!!

Rick Watson said...

I love spinach dip. I think fall festivals are my favorite.

gin said...

They will have wonderful memories of their family time together. The scavenger hunt was a success it sounds. Congrats to the happy engaged couple!

Kathy said...

What a cool Halloween party. Sounds as if everyone had a great time. And who wouldn't with good food and fun games. The scavenger hunt is fantastic!