Saturday, February 2, 2019

It's The Short Month

Yesterday was the first day of the short month. As a child I always loved February and it didn't seem like the short month then.  It seemed like that month would never end. Probably because my birthday was/is the last day of February.  Now it seems like the month is long because the weather is usually the worst of Winter.  Today and the next few days will make me a liar on that score.  It was sunny and 46de according to my car thermometer.  We're expecting 50's tomorrow and the next. After the bone chilling and snowy week we had it is a welcome change.  I don't know what the silly groundhog had to say about the next 6 weeks of Winter but I spied a sure sign that Spring could actually be in the near future.
Hello Mr. Robin...or maybe it's Mrs. Robin.  I know that some don't migrate but seeing Robins will always be a sign of Spring for me.  Yesterday I had the day off and the weather was not so sweet.
Even though I had the day off I still had to attend a 6:30am staff meeting.  This was the road on my way home.  We got about 3in of snow overnight.  Just enough to make it a bit slick. 
Almost home! I enjoyed the rest of the day by keeping warm and making bread.
It turned out pretty good! It tasted pretty good too! My Granddaughter stopped by today and she was the recipient of a loaf.  Hope she enjoys it!
Bread making is fun but a bit messy.  That's OK, the results are worth it. After this I went outdoors and burned a few calories by shoveling some snow.
Arnie wasn't much help but he did enjoy the fresh air.  I spied my Robin friend in the crabapple tree and snapped a few pics.
I think this tiny morsel was the reason.
Go for it!
Got it!
Yum!
A diet might be in order....don't worry my Robin friend, I hear there's 6 more weeks of Winter before you need to be in shape for Spring!


9 comments:

Kathy said...

Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow and I hope it really does mean an early spring. I am so over this cold weather. I haven't seen any robins yet. I hope your little visitors don't freeze.

Bread! I've been wanting to make bread for weeks now. I just got the yeast yesterday so it is in my future -- soon! Yours looks so delicious!

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Yessum, the whistle pig did not see his shadow this year, and therefore you can take your coat and mittens to the Goodwill and erect the backyard pool. Spring has sprung in Ohio! :) I am so glad you got that new camera, dear friend. It is capturing marvelous pictures and making your blog better than ever. The sequence of pics showing the robin red breast gobbling that goody is amazing. It looks like his fat tummy is filled with those berries. Those snowy roads on the drive home from work will be covered in slush and puddles of ice water in the days ahead, so be careful navigating them. Your home baked bread looks delicious. I wish I were there to have a steaming cup of coffee with you and munch a few slices with fruit jam.

Thank you very much for catching us up on your late week and weekend, dear friend YaYa. Now get out there and enjoy that pool today! :)

acorn hollow said...

wonderful bread I made some last last weekend but Oh I am ready for more.
I hope your robin means spring I am ready for it too
Cathy

Julia said...

Wow, that is early for the robin but it gives hope just the same. He/she is all puffed up to keep warm, the poor little thing.
I'm sure February will go fast just like the other months. I hope the snow on the roads has cleared. It's sunny and cold this morning but will warm up today.

That bread looks so yummy. It makes me want to make some.
Take care and be safe.
HUgs, Julia

joeh said...

WE have no robins around here until spring, did that fellow get lost? A meeting at 6:30 AM? THat is NO day off. February can be a brutal month, but I think March is the worse, it gives you a taste of spring then slaps you down with sloppy windy cold.

betty said...

That bread looks delicious! Pretty pictures of the snow if one doesn't have to be out in it. Such a cute robin too! You did great capturing its activity :)

betty

Gin said...

Your pictures are so good! Everyone is going to be ready for spring to get here.

Rick Watson said...

Those robins look like they are saying : False Alarm. It's not spring yet:)
R

Kay G. said...

Ah, I love robins! You can tell whether it is male or female by looking at the color. Their coloring is really the same, it is just that the male is much brighter. I would guess that yours is Mr. Robin. You will have to look closely at them now and see if you can tell them apart! See, the things you learn from me, my friend? I also mentioned robins on my last post, how about that?!