Friday, February 15, 2019

Do You Celebrate VD?

Ok, I'm sure you all know that by VD I mean:  VALENTINE'S DAY!  People have strong opinions about this holiday. Many blame it on Hallmark and feel it's just an excuse for buying their cards. I don't really like to call it an actual "holiday".  You don't get the day off or any over-time pay for working it.  Those are the main criteria for me when describing a holiday.  When I was a little nugget in grade school we made the Valentine's day boxes to collect all those love notes from our classmates.  I didn't really like making those boxes. I'm not super creative.   I  REALLY didn't enjoy it when my kids were in school because you were suppose to do something creative and no matter how hard we tried there was always that overachiever parent who made a box that looked like the Vatican or something.  We all knew the kid didn't even get to glue on a single scrap of craft paper to the project! (Not that I'm bitter or anything)  Well, I do enjoy giving out Valentines.  Any reason to celebrate something in the middle of a dreary Winter is OK by me.  I found this old picture of my parents on a Valentine's Day. I remember that day because, of course, I snapped the pic and I made the dinner and gave them gifts.  Looks like they enjoyed them!
Can you tell it's a late 60's, early 70's kitchen?  Anyway, they look happy!   I usually do something for Jack on this day.  This year it's a card, some food stuff he loves, and I threw in a gift card...hey, he deserves it! 
He wondered if I was trying to give him  a message about shooting him with my bow and arrow!  He gave me some beautiful flowers because he knows how much I love fresh flowers.
Thanks Babe!  We have another tradition that I just made up.  We have to eat burgers on Valentine's Day.  It started 3 years ago and this year was no exception.
As I've said many times, I'm a burger kind of gal!  That pretty much sums up our day except we had a surprise visit from my brother Jim and my sister's son,  Bill.  They were on their way home from a job in Pennsylvania and stopped by to spend the night before heading out early this morning. They work together for my sister's company....Corporate Communications.  We got to sit and chat for a while and it was fun to catch up with them.  So glad they stopped by.  I just wish I had taken a picture of them.  They are probably glad I didn't!   Now on to the weekend.  Today after work I took Arnie for some grooming:
He's going to have surgery on Monday and I thought it would be good to get his hair clipped. His little tumor under his right leg grew back. He had it removed last summer shortly after we adopted him.  We took him to another vet for a second opinion and decided to get it done again since it's affecting his walking. Oh, he has to lose weight too....sorry buddy, no more snitching food from us! I don't care how cute you look begging!  I think I mentioned in a previous post we were getting the front porch redone.  Here it is:
It will look better after it's painted some time this summer, and all our green plants come back this Spring.  At least it won't collapse on anyone!
 I hope everyone had a nice Valentines Day.  We can always use a bit more love in this world!



7 comments:

joeh said...

I am not real fan of VD...or Valentines Day either.

Julia said...

It looks like you had a great Valentine Day. Nothing wrong with celebrating this special day. I wouldn't mind receiving a nice bouquet
of flowers to brighten up a winter day, especially on Valentine Day.

I've never done anything special for Valentine except when I was younger and was raising my family, I would make a Valentine cake and buy little Valentine's cards that the kids would exchange at school. Other than that, It was just another day but I receive a kiss and an "I love you" from my husband.

I'm sorry about your little dog's tumor returning and I help that he will be OK.
Your porch is looking nice and solid. I need to have my deck replaced as the boards are getting rotten.
Take care and thanks for your comment.

Hugs, Julia

betty said...

Such pretty flowers you got! Arnie looks great groomed! Hoping his surgery goes well! Over the years our Valentine's celebrations have changed. Gotten more relaxed and less stressed trying to go out and celebrate with everyone else. We brought in food last night from our favorite Mexican food place and enjoyed a quiet evening together.

Porch looks nice!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm delighted to know you and Jack had a nice Valentine's Day. The fresh flowers he gave you are beautiful, I can almost smell them through the screen, and I am sure he appreciated the gift card. Eating a big, juicy burger on V-day is a tradition more people should know about. That old picture of your mom and dad celebrating Valentine's Day is priceless.

I competed in science fairs in school and remember the elaborate, complex (and prize winning) projects some of the other kids came up with (compared to mine). I smelled a rat and figured their parents were probably responsible for doing most or all of the work.

I wish little Arnie well as he goes under the knife this week. I hope the pooch recovers fully and slims down a little, if that's what the doggie doctor recommends. Your porch is really coming along, and it will surely pop when surrounded by greenery and flowers this spring and summer.

Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend YaYa!

Rick Watson said...

We do cards and small gifts. Though this year I bought Jilda a pair of sunglasses she’s been wanting.

acorn hollow said...

We did cards but not always do we do cards sometimes just a note on a piece of paper and we bought each other the same gift a very small box of chocolates (3 pieces in it) and we went out to dinner which we usually do on Thur night anyway
happy VD
Cathy

Christina said...

I used to hate Valentine's Day! Well...that was before I met Casey and had kids...now I LOVE Valentine's Day! I am a burger gal, too. I need to make that a tradition for one of our holidays, too. It's a great idea!